2016ers Chit-Chat Thread (7 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

leehuan

HSC
It feels really bad though when you want to go through all the past papers on the internet but there isn't enough time though

That's why you self learn most of the content in the school holidays, so you have enough time to improve from your weaknesses and go through as many past papers as possible (I'm pree sure you've seen me posting this a couple of times already)
Not exactly an incorrect call, but you need to be aware of things such as laziness and demotivation and etc.

And some people perform well whilst slacking in the holidays anyway. Though depending on which holidays we're talking about (long summer break v.s. trial stuvac), that is a select few.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
It feels really bad though when you want to go through all the past papers on the internet but there isn't enough time though

That's why you self learn most of the content in the school holidays, so you have enough time to improve from your weaknesses and go through as many past papers as possible (I'm pree sure you've seen me posting this a couple of times already)
As long as you do a decent amount of papers you should be fine, it's not like there's a minimum 100 papers or you can't get 97+. As long as you understand the content (which isn't that hard, it's just 2 unit maths not 4 unit or chemistry or something) and be exposed to a decent number of questions.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Not exactly an incorrect call, but you need to be aware of things such as laziness and demotivation and etc.

And some people perform well whilst slacking in the holidays anyway. Though depending on which holidays we're talking about, that is a select few.
E.g. the 2 week school holidays or the 6 week summer holidays

You could alternatively cut down the time when doing practice exams ---> e.g. instead of doing a 3 hour exam everyday. you could cut it down to 1-2 hours

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
As long as you do a decent amount of papers you should be fine, it's not like there's a minimum 100 papers or you can't get 97+. As long as you understand the content (which isn't that hard, it's just 2 unit maths not 4 unit or chemistry or something) and be exposed to a decent number of questions.
You also have to take into account the difficulty of the past papers as well, e.g. Sydney Grammar has harder paper than Ruse, which paper is worth taking?

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
You also have to take into account the difficulty of the past papers as well, e.g. Sydney Grammar has harder paper than Ruse, which paper is worth taking?
I haven't done much ruse papers or hard papers, mainly some random schools. The main ones have been CSSA papers which really helped in preparation for the CSSA and also gonna do some HSC papers soon. Even though I haven't done the hardest of the hardest (rude/grammar) papers I've still gotten 15/15 for the question 16 for the past two trials so you don't HAVE to do hard questions to be able to do hard questions, just know the content well enough to apply it.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
I haven't done much ruse papers or hard papers, mainly some random schools. The main ones have been CSSA papers which really helped in preparation for the CSSA and also gonna do some HSC papers soon. Even though I haven't done the hardest of the hardest (ruse/grammar) papers I've still gotten 15/15 for the question 16 for the past two trials so you don't HAVE to do hard questions to be able to do hard questions, just know the content well enough to apply it.
Yeah that's coz CSSA and the HSC usually have a similar style to each other (question-wise)

Schoolwise, they're not as similar as other schools. e.g. Say I go to Ruse and Practice Sydney grammar papers, the sydney grammar papers are probably not going to help me as much as the ruse papers because the style of the ruse papers are still in that sort of format (i.e. the difficulty of the questions are more than likely going to be the same) as opposed to Sydney Grammar

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
BTW Pikachu, how many past papers are you aiming to do after half yearlies and before trials? (in all your subs)

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Yeah that's coz CSSA and the HSC usually have a similar style to each other (question-wise)

Schoolwise, they're not as similar as other schools. e.g. Say I go to Ruse and Practice Sydney grammar papers, the sydney grammar papers are probably not going to help me as much as the ruse papers because the style of the ruse papers are still in that sort of format (i.e. the difficulty of the questions are more than likely going to be the same) as opposed to Sydney Grammar
Doesn't really matter, if you understand the content then you can answer any question if you think about it properly.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
BTW 2 all 2016ers, what chem prac did you have to do for your HSC internal assessment?

trecex1

HSC

What do you mean "style" and "that sort of format"? All the papers have the same format and they cover all the topics. Why does it matter about the difficulty? Everyone is sitting the same hsc exam.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
What do you mean "style" and "that sort of format"? All the papers have the same format and they cover all the topics. Why does it matter about the difficulty? Everyone is sitting the same hsc exam.
It's kinda hard to explain style, like look at the sydney grammar papers, they're quite difficult right? You wouldn't expect that sort of questions in your school exams nor the HSC would you (unless you go Sydney grammar)

Basically it's the school's way of setting the exams and how they mark them

DatAtarLyfe

Booty Connoisseur
HSC
Btw, does anyone else see the same trend in questions for phys at syd grammar? The extended response is always M&M/STOR and photoelectric/blackbody

Now that i think about it, there arent really that many ext response things they can ask...

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Analysing anions and cations and fermentation of glucose, but most schools do titration
Is titration in the chemical management and monitoring topic?

BTW was analysing cations and anions and fermentation of glucose the POM module?

trecex1

HSC
It's kinda hard to explain style, like look at the sydney grammar papers, they're quite difficult right? You wouldn't expect that sort of questions in your school exams nor the HSC would you (unless you go Sydney grammar)

Basically it's the school's way of setting the exams and how they mark them
You mean their font? And not sure what you mean by "sort of questions." Every type of question I've encountered in a SGS trial, I have seen similar ones before from other schools/textbooks/doing worksheets.
You don't need to know what to expect if you're comfortable with any question they put in the exam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)