2014'ers Chit-Chat Thread (5 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
In our school they mark the prac really harshly and they give the top marks to the people who have competed internationally.
Basically only like 20 people in our grade don't do commerce and the highest mark achieved was 18. The social science department in our school hate giving full marks.
I've just a question, why did you do physics instead of chem? I'm just curious cos most people do either chem alone or do chem and physics.
Why I chose Physics (instead of Chemistry or both) according to my Year 10 mind set:
- Wanted to do at least ''1 science''. Yeah that Asian mentality.
- Physics seemed more ''interesting'' and ''crazy'' (in a good way) than Chemistry.
- I was considering Commerce/Engineering for university, whereby Physics would seem to benefit me more if I went down that path.

Funny thing is, I felt more comfortable with Chemistry concepts than Physics concepts in Year 10 so I picked interest over strength.

If I could go back in time, I'd probably still choose Physics (and keep it) OR instead, pick Legal Studies (seeing how I had better success with other social sciences like Economics and Business Studies).

However, I did ''waste'' $$$ for 2 years of Physics tuition...

In the end, Physics didn't count cause I did 12 units. Really didn't matter if I chose Chemistry instead (but I do have a feeling Chemistry might have suited me better) cause I was much stronger in my social sciences than any science.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
I've just a question, why did you do physics instead of chem? I'm just curious cos most people do either chem alone or do chem and physics.
I actually did both sciences ... Only for the scaling.

Needless to say, I went really bad in them.
I learnt my lesson, choose subjects based on interest, not scaling ^^

mreditor16

HSC
i bucked the trend. i only do phys. chem was too yuck for me. just rote imo. compared to say 50% rote in phys. like subjects with less rote.

mreditor16

HSC
Why I chose Physics (instead of Chemistry or both) according to my Year 10 mind set:
- Physics seemed more ''interesting'' and ''crazy'' (in a good way) than Chemistry.
- I was considering Commerce/Engineering for university, whereby Physics would seem to benefit me more if I went down that path.

Funny thing is, I felt more comfortable with Chemistry concepts than Physics concepts in Year 10 so I picked interest over strength.

If I could go back in time, I'd probably still choose Physics (and keep it) OR instead, pick Legal Studies (seeing how I had better success with other social sciences like Economics and Business Studies).

In the end, Physics didn't count cause I did 12 units. Really didn't matter if I chose Chemistry instead (but I do have a feeling Chemistry might have suited me better) cause I was much stronger in my social sciences than any science.
pretty much everything there is how i felt

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
I just did physics in year 11 and it was mainly because I was so bad at chemistry in year 10 it pretty much confirmed I shouldn't do it haha

Also it wasn't relevant for university, so I was like laters~
never underestimate yourself :) you can achieve great things!

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A

My school doesn't offer legal :(

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
My subjects which doesn't have rote (at least for year 11) are chem, eco and maths.

Whereas the others I do, i.e. bio and modern history requires memorisation.

But I'd say English is half-half.
don't all subjects require memorisation? idk

never underestimate yourself :) you can achieve great things!
nah seriously chemistry and biology did not click with me haha

ebbygoo

HSC
Only 8 people do chem in my school whilst around 30 do physics. Of the 8, only 2 also do physics. Theres a few more trend buckers for ya.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
for chem and eco, to an extent yes. with the former, you have to know stuff like the history of metals, the extraction of copper process etc. and with the latter, you need to memorise your important stats, e.g. gfc, post gfc, the budget and the mining boom

but for maths, NO. you cannot memorise maths because you won't have the flexibility to adapt to curveballs - something i learnt in my last assessment

---

biology does not need to click at all lol - all rote learning. you can basically regurgitate the textbook and still do well
you still need to memorise the formulas for certain rules and know methodologies of how to approach questions
idk but i find maths more intuitive than rote haha so yeah i do agree you can't rely on memorisation for maths

i think for science one thing I have learnt from my friends complaining is that you need to know how to answer the question and satisfy the stupid and obscure criteria rather than pure regurgitation though

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Lol, economics or business doesn't make any sense to me. I'm always confused and even when the teacher explains it to me again I still don't get it..
for my commerce essay I got 11/20 and i am currently 105/125.
I wouldn't worry about that... I had a friend who got 7/20 for a commerce essay in year 10 :p

You are not required to do commerce for the HSC and there are plenty of other subjects available ...

phcan

HSC
omg the first thing i did in year 12 was drop economics, it didn't understand me and i understood that subject.. but i seriously regret doing modern history now.... so much content, not sure how i'm meant to know all my shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)