2014 HSC Chemistry exam - Question 23 (1 Viewer)

apurba

HSC
hsc chem 2014 q 23.PNGanswer to q23 hsc chem 2014.PNG

The answers say:

Answers could include: phosphates and hydrogen ions

My question was whether nitrate ions are also a valid answer since they also cause eutrophication.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
I will still learn "phosphates" as the best answer to the Q. I am sure "nitrates" would be technically accepted.

Mr_Kap

HSC
I will still learn "phosphates" as the best answer to the Q. I am sure "nitrates" would be technically accepted.
But why though?
What makes nitrates an inferior answer?

Ekman

HSC
But why though?
What makes nitrates an inferior answer?
Because when measuring the N:p ratio, in order to determine the amount of nutrients in a sample of water, phosphorus tends to be the growth limiting nutrient, hence we measure the N:p ratio according to the amount of phosphorus. The reason why phosphorus would be the better answer is because that is how eutrophication is determined, by the concentration of phosphorus.

Drsoccerball

HSC
Because when measuring the N:p ratio, in order to determine the amount of nutrients in a sample of water, phosphorus tends to be the growth limiting nutrient, hence we measure the N:p ratio according to the amount of phosphorus. The reason why phosphorus would be the better answer is because that is how eutrophication is determined, by the concentration of phosphorus.
You mean phosphates?

Ekman

HSC
You mean phosphates?
Actually, phosphorus causes the eutrophication. Of course the common way to dump phosphorus into waterways is when its in shampoos and detergents in the form of phosphates. So when you measure the N:p ratio, you don't measure the concentration of nitrates or phosphates, you measure the concentration of nitrogen and phosphorus.

Mr_Kap

HSC

So if I dumped a shit of nitrates into water and NO phosphorus, and we can see eutrophication, does that mean eutrophication cannot be determined quantitatively? lol. What even.

Last edited:

Ekman

HSC
So if I dumped a shit of nitrates into water and NO phosphorus, and we can see eutrophication, does that mean eutrophication cannot be determined quantitatively? lol. What even.
What you must understand is that the N[emoji14] ratio has limitations, because both nitrogen and phosphorus need to be present in the sample, so there are other ways of determining eutrophication quantitatively. Another common method is measuring BOD, which has no limitations. So does this answer your problem?

Mr_Kap

HSC
What you must understand is that the N[emoji14] ratio has limitations, because both nitrogen and phosphorus need to be present in the sample, so there are other ways of determining eutrophication quantitatively. Another common method is measuring BOD, which has no limitations. So does this answer your problem?
yeh i guess.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
haha emoji conversion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)