2011 HSC Christianity question (1 Viewer)

mike12345678

HSC
hey ppl,

any one who answered this question could you please give me a hand and provide a layout on how you would answer it.

Question 2 — Christianity (20 marks)
Some religions emphasise justice, while others emphasise compassion.
How does the statement reflect the diversity of expression within the Christian tradition?

when i look at it nothing really comes to mind. i know everyone says to do person/practice/ethic but still its hard to understand how to link it to the question.

thanks

BTW 500th post :)

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
Compassion. Whut.

You can sorta link that to differing beliefs in regard to bioethics between christian denominations i.e. catholics and anglicans believe in justice, where abortion and euthanasia is considered murder. They also complain that by allowing abortion and euthanasia, you leave room for abuse, which is one of the reasons why they're like, "hellll nooo, you ain't gettin' no abortion!"
Then you can compare that to how evangelist denominations believe in compassion, and to "love thy neighbour", hence accept abortion if the child is severely malformed, or euthanasia if an individual is suffering immensely is allowed. I think that sorta covers diversity of expression in compassion. They perceive compassion differently. Catholics etc see compassion as giving everyone a right and a chance to live, whereas some other denominations believe it is more compassionate to spare people suffering.

lol actually idk. That's just what i'd talk about.

Then i'd bullshit about how paul of tarsus was compassionate towards those who weren't of jewish background, and taught that salvation was for all those whoa re baptised in the name of Christ, as opposed to jews alone.

That's a hard question, i don't know what i'm going on about :cry:

enoilgam

HSC
That's a hard question, i don't know what i'm going on about :cry:
I agree, that is a really difficult question. I would probably set it out like this:

Thesis: The statement is false because Christianity as a whole emphasises both of compassion and justice

Para one: Discussion of ethics. Look at the ethics and how different demoninations approach them. I would then say that whilst approaches differ, they all have an emphasis on achieving justice and compassion.

Para two: Discussion of ritual. Look at the ritual and how different demoninations approach them. I would then say that whilst approaches differ, they all have an emphasis on achieving justice and compassion.

Para three: Discussion on the person. I would argue that the person demonstrates and emphasises the importance of both compassion and justice within the Christian religion.

Overall though, I am not too sure. I think this approach could work, but then again, it could vary depending on what you do for the ethic/ritual/significant person.

mike12345678

HSC
I agree, that is a really difficult question. I would probably set it out like this:

Thesis: The statement is false because Christianity as a whole emphasises both of compassion and justice

Para one: Discussion of ethics. Look at the ethics and how different demoninations approach them. I would then say that whilst approaches differ, they all have an emphasis on achieving justice and compassion.

Para two: Discussion of ritual. Look at the ritual and how different demoninations approach them. I would then say that whilst approaches differ, they all have an emphasis on achieving justice and compassion.

Para three: Discussion on the person. I would argue that the person demonstrates and emphasises the importance of both compassion and justice within the Christian religion.

Overall though, I am not too sure. I think this approach could work, but then again, it could vary depending on what you do for the ethic/ritual/significant person.
i was thinking of doing that but can i say that Christianity focuses on both?
btw im doing paul of tarsus/ sexual ethics and baptism so yeaa...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)