2010 HSC q10 (1 Viewer)

chriss95

HSC
"Two significant problems that will affect a manned spaceflight to Mars are:
• the changes in gravitational energy
• protecting the space vehicle from high-speed electrically charged particles from the Sun.

Use your understanding of physics to analyse each of these problems."

For part 2 of it, is this in the syllabus? I have no idea how to answer this, because I don't remember learning at all about it?

kiinto

HSC
"Two significant problems that will affect a manned spaceflight to Mars are:
• the changes in gravitational energy
• protecting the space vehicle from high-speed electrically charged particles from the Sun.

Use your understanding of physics to analyse each of these problems."

For part 2 of it, is this in the syllabus? I have no idea how to answer this, because I don't remember learning at all about it?
Difficult question. It takes combining your knowledge of the various topics. Do you remember learning about solar winds? That's essentially what that part two is referring to. I'm pretty sure you learn that solar winds are potentially harmful to the sensitive technology onboard the spacecrafts. To mitigate their effect would require either deflecting them or insulating the spacecraft from them. So then you'd have to talk about technologies which could accomplish that. That's probably how I'd go about it.

RishBonjour

HSC
first part is quite ambiguous, second part I would think about having magnets outside the space craft to attract both positive + negative charged particles and stop them from bombarding the space craft.

kiinto

HSC
I never remember learning about solar winds lol
Might have been astrophysics. Pretty sure it was in space though, had something to do with communication difficulties with satellites. Remember the Van Allen radiation belt? There are two belts. They are made up of charged particles, which got caught in the earths magnetosphere. Those charged particles came from the sun (and cosmic radiation?)

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
I think solar winds was part of space in prelim? But yeah, using magnetic fields to deflect positive/negative charges I think would do it.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Whether you "learned" it or not, those are not hard questions to make up an answer to on the spot off of the top of your head. Just use a bit of common sense.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)