2009 Core Composition (1 Viewer)

ekdownie

eating/procrastinating
HSC
hey guys!
when is your core comp due during the year.
it is going to be my 2nd assessment task, therefore due term 1 next year.
composition is probably my weakest component of music, i just have a very poor concentration level to do it over a long amount of time to come up with a BRILLIANT idea!!!!
but i am veryyy happy that i will have the summer holidays to work on it [as well as my crime fiction creative writing for ext.1 and some other assessments :( ]

an advantage of being the only person doing Music.2 in my school :)
sucks cause i have no competition.

but yes.
please share your thoughts!
any others who hate compositions or who just find it hard, join this thread.

CHEERS

mitchibishi

HSC
Im thinking of doin a composition for the HSC. My teacher thinks that its one of my strengths, yet i dont feel that way. Thats why I am currently unsure of what to do.

What do you guys think is the best way to start a composition?
Eg, do you just play around on an instrument until you come up with a melody you like, or do you start with an idea in your head that you want to develop, not necessarily a melody.
Or maybe something else?

My previous compositions (yr 9, 10 and 11) have been a combination of both techniques, so im a bit stuck.

Also, how much emphasis do you place on technicalities in your compositions. For example, do you sit down and work out complex harmonies, or just put whatever sounds good?

Edit: What electives are you doing for HSC? Im doing Jazz, 20th/21st Century, Instrument and its Repertoire. My composition will probably be for 20th/21st

<3
Mitch

Last edited:

bored of sc

HSC
mitchibishi said:
Im thinking of doin a composition for the HSC. My teacher thinks that its one of my strengths, yet i dont feel that way. Thats why I am currently unsure of what to do.

What do you guys think is the best way to start a composition?
Eg, do you just play around on an instrument until you come up with a melody you like, or do you start with an idea in your head that you want to develop, not necessarily a melody.
Or maybe something else?

My previous compositions (yr 9, 10 and 11) have been a combination of both techniques, so im a bit stuck.

Also, how much emphasis do you place on technicalities in your compositions. For example, do you sit down and work out complex harmonies, or just put whatever sounds good?

Edit: What electives are you doing for HSC? Im doing Jazz, 20th/21st Century, Instrument and its Repertoire. My composition will probably be for 20th/21st

<3
Mitch
I usually start with chord progressions which then extend out from there.

jet

Banned
HSC
Our core comp is due in Term 2, its our second assessment, and is tied in with our Viva.
Luckily, our first assessment isnt until the half yearlies at the end of term 1, which gives me heaps of time to practice core performance and electice viva :D

xxstef

languages are my world <3
HSC
i usually think of a key and instrumentation first, then maybe a tune.
i take that tune and harmonise it, sometimes using the piano for a bit of help, but after that, its all in my head. i dont like using computers at all.

ive got 30secs worth of core compo so far :D

xxstef

HSC
how's everyone's core compos going?

i have 1:09! YESS

Sif_Tim

HSC
Guys im just starting my core composition now... it's late but yeah..

Is the best way to just muck around on the piano and make up some chord progressions then some melodies and stuff?

Anyway, some ideas/ help. thx

missanonymous7

Secretive Member
HSC
Just a general tip if people are really stuck on composition (based on my experience) - if you can work out a really awesome chord progression, half your work is already done. :) Make sure it's interesting and different enough (eg not just standard 1 - 6 - 4 - 5 or whatever), but still harmonious and not too 'jarring' to listen to. (Unless you're aiming for a contemporary avant-garde artsy sort of composition, I guess. Must admit, I'm fairly traditional.) Once you find a good one to start off with, the melody becomes much easier to write.

And if you're having trouble coming up with a good progression, look to classical music.

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
Another tip:

Don't over-complicate your composition (This was what always fucked me up). I would write for like 15 instruments and add unnecessary dynamics/accents/tenuto/staccato etc etc. I reckon its better to write some simple but ace it, rather than to do something complex but patchy..?

xxstef

HSC
so what instruments is everyone composing for?

i'll start: i'm doing a piece based on armenian folkdance rhythms for violin, cello and piano. :D

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
I'm writing for:

Flute, Piccolo, Panpipes, String Quartet, Timpani and Marimba.
A South-American themed programmatic piece portraying the fall of the Tupinamba tribe.

HcaR

HSC
I'm doing extension for two grand pianos - kind of a creepy Luna Park carnival-type theme =]
And as for Music 2 I'm doing a drumkit based piece with dulcimer, xylophone and electric bass with an industrial factory theme.
Carpe diem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)