2008 Presidential Election - Obama v McCain (1 Viewer)

Who would you vote for?

• Barrack Obama

Votes: 380 76.0%
  • John Mccain

Votes: 120 24.0%

• Total voters

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Obama Doesn't Like Muslims?

On Monday, two Muslim women at Barack Obama's rally in Detroit, MI were not allowed by campaign volunteers to sit behind the podium.

Both rejections were made in separate instances and by different volunteers.

The staff on hand were trying to prevent the women's headscarves from appearing on television or in photographs with Obama.

Michigan has one of the largest Muslim and Arab populations in the United States, so this is clearly not sitting well with many Muslim supporters.

Obama has even vigorously denied rumors that he is Muslim, though occasionally adds that he means no disrespect to Islam. But the denials seem to some to be implying that there is something wrong with the Muslim faith.

Hebba Aref, a lawyer who lives near Detroit was denied a seat and says, "I was coming to support him, and I felt like I was discriminated against by the very person who was supposed to be bringing this change, who I could really relate to. The message that I thought was delivered to us was that they do not want him associated with Muslims or Muslim supporters."

A volunteer asked three of Aref's friends if they would like to sit behind the stage. The men stated they would, but mentioned they were at the rally with some friends.

The volunteer, an African American woman in her mid-20s, asked if their friends looked and were dressed like the men, who were all light skinned and wearing suits. One of the men mentioned that their friend (Aref) was wearing a headscarf with her suit.

That's when Aref's friend says that the volunteer, "explained to me that because of the political climate and what's going on in the world and what's going on with Muslim Americans, it's not good for [Aref] to be seen on TV or associated with Obama."

As for the second incident, that occurred while waiting in line, two of Shimaa Abdelfadeel's non-Muslim friends were ahead of her. A volunteer approached them and asked if they wanted to be seated in the special section behind Obama. The friends said yes and asked for Shimaa to come along.

That's when the volunteer told them their friend would need to take the headscarf off or stay out of the special section. The friends declined the invite.

When Shimaa confronted the volunteer she was told, "We're not letting anyone with anything on their heads like baseball [caps] or scarves sit behind the stage. It has nothing to do with your religion!"

Although photographs of the event show men with hats seated in the section behind Obama and former VP Al Gore.

Since the incident, the campaign has apologized to the women. However, the two Obama supporters say they feel betrayed by their treatment.

Bill Burton, Obama's spokesman, says, "This is of course not the policy of the campaign. It is offensive and counter to Obama's commitment to bring Americans together and simply not the kind of campaign we run. We sincerely apologize for the behavior of these volunteers."

When in doubt, blame someone else.

Though maybe this time it was the volunteers. Photographs from a Seattle rally earlier this year show a couple in Muslim clothing sitting behind Obama.

Next time, better screen your volunteers better.

:eek:

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Slidey said:
TBH I highly doubt Obama is pulling out of Iraq for 'ethical reasons' (based on his views of Iran and terrorists). It's most likely just a good way to help the economy by diverting spending away from military.

That said, it's not like he's going to pull out in a year, or even pull out completely.

Edit: And yes, I know Obama was against the war initially, but a lot of people changed their minds about the war once it started; if you're going to be there, you don't suddenly pull out half-way, or you'll do even more damage without any good.
To support my claim:

http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/800623/img/800623.gif

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
lol Richard Armitage was on lateline last night saying that Obama has modified his exit strategy to a brigade a month, over at least 16 months.

THis happens to be backed by his website:

Bringing Our Troops Home
Obama will immediately begin to remove our troops from Iraq. He will remove one to two combat brigades each month, and have all of our combat brigades out of Iraq within 16 months. Obama will make it clear that we will not build any permanent bases in Iraq. He will keep some troops in Iraq to protect our embassy and diplomats; if al Qaeda attempts to build a base within Iraq, he will keep troops in Iraq or elsewhere in the region to carry out targeted strikes on al Qaeda.
http://www.barackobama.com/issues/iraq/#bring-home

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,

And the women come out to cut up what remains,

Jest roll to your rifle and blow out your brains

An’ go to your Gawd like a soldier.

McCain for America

Generator

HSC
N/A
As an outsider I would have liked to have seen Hillary Clinton take the Democratic nomination, but that was probably expecting too much.

Back on topic... I'm not fussed, to tell the truth. Australia will no doubt putter along in the wake of a McCain or Obama administration, and I'm sure the supposed or actual hawkish tendencies of both candidates will be tempered by the responsibilities of government and the interplay between the legislature and the executive.

Now that I feel that I have made a contribution, as empty as it may be, I'll take my leave! :wave:

herBcNH

HSC
The issues surrounding recent discussions on US offshore drilling for oil has significant impact for all Americans where Obama and McCain talk about in http://pollclash.com . The soaring oil prices are affecting the costs of everything from food to gas. There are also significant issues on local and global environmental impact. While there are many issues, we need to look at our next leader and determine which will have the best course of action going forward. Here's where your vote and voice can count. Watch the two video clips below submit your vote. Also, leave a comment if there is more you wish to say or an issue you think should be raised within the context of this clash.

Garygaz

HSC
Pretty much whoever America votes for, they're still screwed. Check out they're foreign debt. If i recall correctly, their debt is accumulating an extra $1 billion per week. : /

Foxodi

HSC
9.5trillion~ and counting

And to top it off, their real growth this year is 0.5%? lol.

HSC
What's been going on with Obama lately? FISA, those "faith-based programs" etc...

Snaykew

:)
HSC
N/A
I once watched a McCain speech on PBS news. He has no presence about him. It's like he's just another random dude on TV.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
obviously my vote is mccain
i dont vote for women or black people

just a hypothetical, incase i was an american

Snaykew

HSC
N/A
katie tully said:
obviously my vote is mccain
i dont vote for women or black people

just a hypothetical, incase i was an american
Don't forget Poland.

Snaykew

HSC
N/A
Didn't you know? That's how the American intelligence community rolls. Obama? SOUNDS LIKE OSAMA! He's CLEARLY a terrorist!

Just like that loyal American citizen who shot hispanics beacuse they were near his neighbour's house. HISPANICS NEAR MY HOUSE? THEY ARE CLEARLY THIEVES!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)