• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

2008/09 English premier League (2 Viewers)

rafalution

HSC
Everton got Jo from Man City on loan. Finally, a decent striker!
Jo is not fit to lace Saha's boots

Don't Know Why people are ruling out Arsenal already out of 3rd/4th Place. They have a far better squad in general than Aston Villa, and Villa may well drop out in the latter parts of the season as we saw last year.

Thought the whole Keane debarcle was overhyped. Its simple - he didn't really work (esp. with Torres injured for most of the season), he goes. The problem is the cover Liverpool have for striker now. Kuyt, Babel, N'gog, Nemeth?

By the way, its great to see Yossi Benayoun playing very well and showing that creativity he has.

P.S --> Torre's goal celebration???:confused:

Roy9

HSC
YEAH *hi5*

However he cant play against the reds on thursday as he is cup tied.

Im relishing the idea of saha-jo partnership!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can see Jo being impressive for Everton and when Moyes wants to sign him permanently Man City will deny him as he won't be able to offer anything near the £18m they payed for him....

To Rafalution: I know Jo hasn't done anything in England yet but he was definitely worth the gamble. After all, he did play amazing in Russia and that goal scoring ability has gotta been deep down in there somehwere. Add that to the fact that Moyes usually knows how to get the most out of his players.

Izzay

Wassup MTV
HSC
N/A
Modric and Bale are quality players, but it's just that the team sucks in general. Spurs' problems lie in defence. King is always injured, Dawson is useless. Gomes is unbelievably shaky, and Robinson before that too.

Jo is good, but not good enough just yet. I've always liked Saha, but too bad he's always injured. Quaresma is another player who I think will be a flop, maybe more like a Maniche, who also spent 6 months at Chelsea a couple of seasons ago.
Never said they sucked. I was just comparing how much they cost and what they have been able to demonstrate during their time on the pitch thus far.

TypeR

HSC
Manchester United FTW !!

Liverpool are really stupid to sell Keane. It doesnt only weaken their squad, they lost money too. They should buy Amr Zaki :D

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Jo is not fit to lace Saha's boots
I agree with this, for now.

Don't Know Why people are ruling out Arsenal already out of 3rd/4th Place. They have a far better squad in general than Aston Villa, and Villa may well drop out in the latter parts of the season as we saw last year.
Because Aston Villa have a much better equipped squad than last season. Remember they had one of the smallest squads in terms of size last season, and still managed to do very well.

Thought the whole Keane debarcle was overhyped. Its simple - he didn't really work (esp. with Torres injured for most of the season), he goes. The problem is the cover Liverpool have for striker now. Kuyt, Babel, N'gog, Nemeth?
Keane didn't work because he wasn't given enough opportunities by Rafa. The way he was treated by Liverpool is nothing other than embarrassing. He loved the club, and he even forced his way to come by handing in a transfer request when he was at Spurs. Then the club turns around and leaves him in the cold. This is not the way to treat a player, and I hope Keane turns around and scores tons of goals against Liverpool.

But this is working out good for us especially now that Keane is gone. This no doubt weakens the Liverpool squad. Kuyt and Babel are not good enough to be strikers, and N'Gog, well I guess he's just like our Danny Welbeck. By selling such a high profile player after only 6 months of acquiring him doesn't really send out the right message to the team and your supporters. It'd take something of a miracle for Liverpool to win the title now.

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
Bit optimistic there I think. Keane is second-rate and deserves to be at a second-rate club like Spurs. You can debate the morality of his non-selection but in reality, what was he doing at Liverpool in the first place? Had Rafa got his first target in Barry, they wouldn't of even had to bother with Keane.

Of course their strike-force is a little thin (when Kuyt is your backup striker you have problems - he is technically worse than Keane) - but its hard to replace the best striker in the league, especially when you are so utterly dependent on him.

However, Utd will win the league again without a massive contribution from their 'strike-force' of the lazy but exquisite Berbatov and the awful Rooney, who has a purple patch of 3-4 games every two months where people blow loads over him but its absolutely puerile the rest of the time - so it's not like the league cannot be won without a decent centre-forward.

The one decent striker Utd have is Tevez and he isn't even used. It is hypocritical to comment on Keane's treatment without examing Tevez's - unlike Keane, he is talented, and unlike Keane, he actually scores and contributes to the team. Why Fergie doesn't want him is beyond me.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Tevez wasn't used before because he wasn't in form. The Rooney/Berbatov partnership was going good for us. We're not like Liverpool, we don't pay big money for players to sit on the bench. At first I was unimpressed with Berbatov, but with more playing time in the first team he's adapted to our system very well.

Unlike Keane, Tevez is actually wanted by Fergie, but the stumbling block is obviously the price put on him by MSI. In such times, it's difficult to fork out another 30million or whatever it is to sign Tevez. It's sad, I'd hate to see him leave, but I still hope that he'll stay, however unlikely it will be.

You can only accommodate so many forwards at the same time. Tevez will never displace Rooney, because an Argentinian will never be picked over an Englishman at an English club unless Rooney was really shit. But at least Tevez gets put on the bench. And when called upon, will contribute to our title chase, as evident in the game against Stoke. Unlike Rafa, who doesn't even put him on the bench mostly.

Keane is definitely not a second rate striker by any means. He's got talent, and he can score goals. He also had leadership qualities that Spurs will find handy right now. We're getting away with our lack of scoring because of our excellent defence. Liverpool does not possess the same defensive quality. Even then, you can't rely on your defenders every week to get you out of jail. When you find that Gerrard and Torres aren't scoring (like the weeks before), Liverpool will drop points. You can't afford to lose too many points when you're playing catchup.

u-borat

Banned
HSC
The idea that he wasn't given a chance is a complete myth tbh, and this, "who doesn't even put him on the bench mostly" is also rubbish.
Keane played in most of the first 20 games, and was always on the bench at the least until the very last few games, when the whole transfer furor had come up.

in hindsight, the same questions regarding keane's suitability when we bought him are the reasons that he left; in trying to accommodate his presence rafa switched back to the 4-4-2 which pushed gerrard back into the centre of midfield despite his devasting form as an attacking midfielder towards the end of last season.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
The idea that he wasn't given a chance is a complete myth tbh, and this, "who doesn't even put him on the bench mostly" is also rubbish.
Keane played in most of the first 20 games, and was always on the bench at the least until the very last few games, when the whole transfer furor had come up.
Giving him only 6 months is nowhere near enough. Keane is just a pawn in the Liverpool power struggle between Benitez, Parry, and the rest of the mob behind the scene.

Imagine if he scores the winner against Arsenal this weekend. I reckon everything will be forgiven then.

Evertonian

HSC
Extra Time for the merseyside derby

0-0, Gerrard injured, liverpool down to ten men too.

However that means nothing to me.

Roy9

HSC
Extra time in the Everton vs Liverpool game with Liverpool down to 10 men, no Gerrard and a semi-injured (as it seems) Torres. If there was ever a time Everton could beat Liverpool, it's right now. C'mon boys

Roy9

HSC
Extra Time for the merseyside derby

0-0, Gerrard injured, liverpool down to ten men too.

However that means nothing to me.
Osman should've wrapped it up :\

I think Anichebe should be brought on soon...

Roy9

HSC
Dan Gosling you star! IN MOYES WE TRUST!!!!

Everton for the FA Cup!

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Great result. Gerrard injured, Torres looking like a douche, Liverpool knocked out. It's a great start to the day! :D

Roy9

HSC
I definitely need to get a hold of a gif so I can make that Gosling goal my sig.

Izzay

Wassup MTV
HSC
N/A
Giving him only 6 months is nowhere near enough. Keane is just a pawn in the Liverpool power struggle between Benitez, Parry, and the rest of the mob behind the scene.

Imagine if he scores the winner against Arsenal this weekend. I reckon everything will be forgiven then.
Hopefully Arsh will also make his debut.
Whatever happens, i'll be happy knowing we acquired the better of the two Russians.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)