2007 State Election - Labor or the Coalition/Iemma or Debnam? (1 Viewer)

2007 State Election - Labor or the Coalition?

• Labor

Votes: 125 46.5%
  • Coalition

Votes: 77 28.6%
  • Other

Votes: 30 11.2%
  • Still Undecided

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • Apathetic

Votes: 17 6.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bshoc

HSC
N/A
wheredanton said:
Have I posted in this thread?

ALP because the alternative is so damn bloody awful. If Brogs was still opposition leader I wouldn't have minded him becoming premier. While I personally don't dislike Debnam it's the shadowy people behind him that scare me.
And who would those shadowy people be exactly?

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
Although I've never doubted Mr Debnam as a person, I do think he's guarded himself too closely and become too robotic in the media spotlight.

It has taken a 'blown-out-of-proportion' poll to reveal his genuine and complete forthright side. If he had taken this approach from the outset, it would have been much easier for the electorate to warm to his persona and develop some form of trust.

I also think the advertising campaign would have been better served using the 'lets FIX NSW' slogan in a similar way to the 'its time' ads, instead of focusing on the individuals.

Anyway, I've revised my predictions to ALP 57, Coalition 30, Independents 6.

I do think that giving Debnam a chance would not be as disastrous as we've been made to believe. After all, there is another election in 4 years,..

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
bshoc said:
I think you're getting your politics muddled

This is what you're looking for

http://www.familyfirst.org.au/
I'm pretty sure you are classified as a right wing nutjob (economically). Or at least a social anachronism from 1800.

frog12986 said:
Although I've never doubted Mr Debnam as a person, I do think he's guarded himself too closely and become too robotic in the media spotlight.
He hasn't handled the media well. He seems quite green in that respect. He will get better with time provided his party doesn't get rid of him. Then again if he looses it would open up the leadership position to Pru Goward. But I don't know if she, being a 'moderate', would get the support of the conservatives that now dictate the direction of the party of NSW.

Last edited:

bshoc

HSC
N/A
wheredanton said:
I'm pretty sure you are classified as a right wing nutjob (economically). Or at least a social anachronism from 1800.
I think you're getting me mixed up with somebody else, there are plenty of people to the right of me economics wise on this forum, such as WAF etc.
My economic opinion, with a few deviations is probably in the domain of the Labor right and the Lib mainstream. Socially I'm probably more the conservative, but not in the traditional sense.

Its not so much that I like the right, I just utterly despise the left.

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
bshoc said:
I think you're getting me mixed up with somebody else, there are plenty of people to the right of me economics wise on this forum, such as WAF etc.
My economic opinion, with a few deviations is probably in the domain of the Labor right and the Lib mainstream. Socially I'm probably more the conservative, but not in the traditional sense.

Its not so much that I like the right, I just utterly despise the left.
Conservative nutjob, since you object so strenuously.

bshoc

HSC
N/A

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
bshoc said:
Do you really think I care? I think you are a bone fide conservative nutjob to the extent that your posts aren't to be taken seriously. Deal with it.

edit/ and for gods sake, you line up with one nation.

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
wheredanton said:
He hasn't handled the media well. He seems quite green in that respect. He will get better with time provided his party doesn't get rid of him. Then again if he looses it would open up the leadership position to Pru Goward. But I don't know if she, being a 'moderate', would get the support of the conservatives that now dictate the direction of the party of NSW.
The alternatives, after the election, as I see it will be Goward and O'Farrell. I doubt the mistake of putting in the wrong man with the "right" views will be repeated.

bshoc

HSC
N/A
wheredanton said:
Do you really think I care? I think you are a bone fide conservative nutjob to the extent that your posts aren't to be taken seriously. Deal with it.
And I think you're a pansie pinko-leftie with a stalin tatto in your upper colon, that doesen't mean I'm going to reject what you say on that basis.

Seriously though, if you think I'm a right wing nutter I'd love to see your reaction when you actually met or talked to some real right wing conservatives, I'm at best centre-right.

edit/ and for gods sake, you line up with one nation.
Thats only because they had to guess most of One Nations positions for most issues, One Nation is an mainly an immigration policy party , so that comparison isn't really valid, seeing as how I don't believe in an immediate halt to immigration and I'm an immigrant.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Sparcod said:
I'd like to ask some questions about elections.

1. How long does it take from the time of the election-win to the first day on the job in power? So say for example, if Peter Debnam wins, when does he officially start?

2. Does two-party preferred mean that voters can either choose Labor or Liberals or does it mean that they count all the primary votes and take into account those who voted for either?

3. What happens if two parties win the same number of seats?
1. He'd pretty much take up the reins as premier straight away, being sworn in along with the rest of the ministry after a few days (if it's anything like what happens at federal level). He can start making executive decisions straight away, but he can't pass laws and so on until parliament meets, which will be a while because the electoral office has to finalise the results before it can declare people officially elected.

2. Because the preferential system gradually eliminates less popular parties and redistributes their votes to more popular parties based on preferences, you eventually have a situation where all the votes have been allocated to the two most popular candidates. The percentages of the votes they have at this point are their two-party-preferred results. To put it another way, Labor's overall 2PP result is the percentage of voters who ranked their local Labor candidate above their Coalition candidate on their ballot paper. The Coalition's overall 2PP result is the percentage of voters who ranked their local Coalition candidate above their Labor candidate on their ballot paper.

3. If neither party could form a majority by itself they'd negotiate with the independents to try to get to a majority. If there were no independents, or the independents aligned in such a way as to split the lower house exactly down the middle - so no party could attain a majority - the Governor would probably have to call another election to resolve the deadlock. Or the two major parties could form a unity government, but I don't know what the chances of that would be.

Last edited:

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
bshoc said:
And I think you're a pansie pinko-leftie with a stalin tatto in your upper colon
No you don't. I actually believe you are a conservative nutjob. I don't think you actually believe that I love Stalin.

bshoc

HSC
N/A
wheredanton said:
No you don't. I actually believe you are a conservative nutjob. I don't think you actually believe that I love Stalin.
I do believe the pinko-lefty part. The Greens also have a habit of branding anybody to the right of them rightwing nutjobs, heh turns out the average Australian is a rightwing nutcase, lets see how far it gets them.

I actually believe that any leftwinger is simply uneducated and not in tune with the realities of the world, and that anybody so far left as to see me as a rightwing nutcase should probably not be taken seriously.

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
bshoc said:
I do believe the pinko-lefty part. The Greens also have a habit of branding anybody to the right of them rightwing nutjobs, heh turns out the average Australian is a rightwing nutcase, lets see how far it gets them.
About 6 to 9% of the vote.

I actually believe that any leftwinger is simply uneducated and not in tune with the realities of the world, and that anybody so far left as to see me as a rightwing nutcase should probably not be taken seriously.
I'm pretty sure plenty of lefties are well educated. Whether they are in tune with the realities of the world is a totally different question. You shouldn't lump them together unless you think Bob Hawke or Gough Whitlam were uneducated.

I think it smacks of arrogance, at your age, (even if you were my age) to say that you know the 'realities of the world'. You are in second year and you are still probably reading introductory economics text books.

Last edited:

bshoc

HSC
N/A
wheredanton said:
About 6 to 9% of the vote.
And thats on a good day, there you go.

And I usually find that most people who vote Greens are not aware of many of the party platforms.

I'm pretty sure plenty of lefties are well educated.
I believe that level of education does not only depend on being a repository of facts and knowledge, someone can learn every political book off by heart and still be wrong.

Whether they are in tune with the realities of the world is a totally different question. You shouldn't lump them together unless you think Bob Hawke or Gough Whitlam were uneducated.
Their terms should be judged on their own merits, although I surely hope you're not highlighting them as examples of highly successful and beneficial ones,

I think it smacks of arrogance, at your age, (even if you were my age) to say that you know the 'realities of the world'.
I don't claim to know the realities of the world, only that the world and reality as the left paints it is a total lie. I've experienced the end result of that failure, your haven't.

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
Only because It's Friday night.
bshoc said:
And thats on a good day, there you go.
And I usually find that most people who vote Greens are not aware of many of the party platforms.
You have met everyone or enough people who have voted Green to make that judgement? It would be like me saying that most people who vote for the Liberals are ignorant.

People vote Green for a variety of reasons. Some are far lefties. Some value our natural environment and feel good about voting 'Green'. Some vote Green to protest (see Wilkie last election in Bennelong). Some people support harm minimisation approach to drugs. Whatever. Some vote Green because they don't give a fuck.

I believe that level of education does not only depend on being a repository of facts and knowledge, someone can learn every political book off by heart and still be wrong.
Education isn't about being right or wrong. Educated means you have been taught in a particular field 'to develop the innate capacities of the person, especially by schooling or instruction'.

Menzies was well educated and so was Evatt. One being more or less educated than the other doesn't make one more 'correct' or 'wrong' than the other.

I don't claim to know the realities of the world, only that the world and reality as the left paints it is a total lie. I've experienced the end result of that failure, your haven't.
To say that other people, in your humble opinion, do not understand the realities of the world, is to imply that you, in your humble opinion, do understand the realities of the world.

Optophobia

HSC
Ignore bshoc; it's someone who is too afraid to post from their *real* account, because they enjoy being antagonistic.

Last edited:

kokodamonkey

HSC
anyone that votes for labour is a communist.
Seriouslly guys labour has been in power for 12years and theyve done jack all except stuff everything up. and dont give me this "Morris Dilemma is a fresh start business" Morris Dilemma has been there since the start.

Vote Liberal and Let Debnam and the team to fix everything up. Brodgan would have been better but hey, he had his issues. If anyone wants to argue more on this (and be proven wrong) let me know i can even give u my msn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)