2007 State Election - Labor or the Coalition/Iemma or Debnam? (1 Viewer)

2007 State Election - Labor or the Coalition?

• Labor

Votes: 125 46.5%
  • Coalition

Votes: 77 28.6%
  • Other

Votes: 30 11.2%
  • Still Undecided

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • Apathetic

Votes: 17 6.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I can't believe so many people are willing to give Labor another chance after they have spent so many years destroying the state. I don't particularly like Debnam but there is absolutely no way he could do any worse than that other moron.

Seriously... how bad does Labor have to be before people will stop supporting them?

If Labor wins (and at the moment I am thinking they will) democracy has failed. With the amount of stupid people around these days maybe we need to reconsider who we allow to make important decisions. I suggest that future votes be scaled based on IQ, education and income so that a vote from a smarter more educated professional would be worth 2 or 3 votes from a dole bludging year 10 dropout with an IQ of 85.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
I'm sure that people who plan to vote Labor have their reasons, even if you don't agree with them. Unlike the majority who vote for Howard.

I'm still undecided. Perhaps I'll throw mine away with a vote to the greens.

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
I'm sure that people who plan to vote Labor have their reasons, even if you don't agree with them. Unlike the majority who vote for Howard.
QUOTE]

Have their reasons? I cannot remotely see how anyone could possibly validate a vote for the State Government, and at the same time contain a vehement opposition to the Commonwealth.

Unlike the majority who vote for Howard? There are plenty of reasons, reasons that usually dismiss both the Iraq War and David Hicks issue. See the main trend with Rudd and the ALP's success so far, is that policy has not entered the debate, nor has the direction they intend to take the nation (except for the 'education revolution, which was in part, refuted by the UN Children Education Report). The biggest thing that has reduced the success of Federal Labor in the past 4 elections, has been the relative weakness of their policies. Any judgement on the Federal Election should be reserved until that starts to occur.

As for the state ALP campaign slogan.. ' more to do, but heading in the right direction '.. If state recession is heading in the right direction, we're all in a little bit of trouble.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Nick Minchin said:
Iemma is presenting himself as a one man government
Where are Morris' mates?
"MORRIS Iemma was a very busy man yesterday - and so he should be. According to Labor's election material, he's the only person in the NSW Labor Government."

Beige 1950s slogan is just Morris all over
NOBODY in the NSW Labor Party is willing to admit who came up with its decidedly beige election slogan "More to do but heading in the right direction".

Toilet repairs a flash in the pan, say teachers

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Have their reasons? I cannot remotely see how anyone could possibly validate a vote for the State Government
Fear of IR laws, hence jobs and security. Fear of the liberal habit of cutting spending and cutting taxes. Fear of putting too much of the country under Liberal party wrath. They'd be my main reasons. At the same time though, I have a lot of problems with the current state ALP. There's been a consistent lack of focus in regards to healthcare (usually one of the ALP's strong points) and public transport. Then again, I consider what Howard has done in regards to Healthcare (increase dependancy on private healthcare) and transport (jackshit). If I buy into the very valid notion that a state government would govern very similarly to a federal government, in terms of policies, beliefs and direction, then I'd have very good reasons for not voting Liberal.

Unlike the majority who vote for Howard? There are plenty of reasons, reasons that usually dismiss both the Iraq War and David Hicks issue.
Yeah, um, see, they're two of the bigger issues, for someone that has a social conscious like myself anyway. I personally wouldn't vote for someone that promises to keep my hip pocket a little fatter in exchange for lower spending. I wouldn't vote for someone that's shown an incredulous disregard for human rights in both the Iraq and Hicks case. Moreover, I can't vote for a lying scumbag like Howard. I demand trust, and so far, Iemma, the state ALP for the last 12 (or whatever) years hasn't really done much to not earn my trust in most cases. At the very most of mistrust for the state ALP, I'd bring up the cross city tunnel issue. That's not a very big issue, for me.

See the main trend with Rudd and the ALP's success so far, is that policy has not entered the debate, nor has the direction they intend to take the nation (except for the 'education revolution, which was in part, refuted by the UN Children Education Report). The biggest thing that has reduced the success of Federal Labor in the past 4 elections, has been the relative weakness of their policies. Any judgement on the Federal Election should be reserved until that starts to occur.
Indeed, but one expects that the federal government with the senate majority has the better platform to stand on when making thin election promises. Incumbency is a hugely important factor when an election looms, and it benefits Howard greatly when considering this policy stuff. Really though, I don't want to make guesses about either parties policies and their tactics yet. So far, I could assume that Rudd will do nothing in the leadup to the election (apart from the climate change, iraq and education policies), but that would be just as ignorant as if I believed that he'll do everything. I'm not going to start conjuring up ideas just yet on these matters.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
Fear of IR laws, hence jobs and security.
I'd like to see how secure everyone's jobs will be when the state falls into a recession.

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
The biggest problem is that the 'social conscience' approach doesn't equate to electoral success, particularly in relation to issues like Iraq and David Hicks. Moreover, as the US is central to each of those issues, protesters are more likely to gain support.
I don't recall the same amount of 'human rights' and 'due process' protest against the trial of Shappelle Corby,. Improperly handled evidence, a show trial and a system bordering on arbitrary punishment with a total disregard for 'acceptable' evidentiary procedures. Now the Indonesian justice system does not have to comply with the same standards as 'western' legal systems, however it raises the point that at the core of each of these issues is the US, and not human rights. If the latter were the central issue, as much controversry would have been made of it by the left, instead of those said criticising the Australian media.

Now whilst I don't fully understand the substance of the Geneva Convention, I would like to know why David Hicks, along with other suspected terrorists, cannot be imprisoned as a prisoner of war. It would remove the illegality of their imprisonment, and although the war is not defined by borders, it's surely something that should be considered, or at the very least, discussed.

As for investment in healthcare, now whilst the direct funding levels have not increased immensely, this fails to take into account the volume of Commonwealth revenue that is now utilised by State Governments in the public health sector. A person of social conscience such as yourself may deplore the promotion of private health as an alternative, however, it has emereged as inmportant aspect of our health system that not only provides greater cover, but one that provides choice. In similarity to education debate, by providing incentive to utilise the private system, it not only reduces the total financial burden on both the government and the taxpayer, but reduced the overall burden placed upon the public system itself. Further to this, Medicare has, despite what many would like you to believe, been strengthened immensely, with record bulk billing levels across a number of areas including Pensioners and Children...

Commonwealth to state revenue is at record levels, yet infrastructure is failing to meet expectations. Blame game aside, it's time that the state's more efficiently utilise the funds they are provided instead of promoting inflated bureaucracies (as in NSW; the Health Bureaucracy has grown at a rate far exceeding nurses and doctors)..

You demand trust yet want to make a person Prime Minister of this nation, who takes credit for the actions of the Goss Government? Actions that resulted in 66% of the QLD electors believing the health system was in disarray..
Although, until we see policy substance by Rudd, all of his spiel is just empty rhetoric..

HSC
umop 3pisdn said:
Yes, in the debate you could tell he was trying quite hard to distance himself from the Carr governments.
I had to laugh when Debnam pulled out the sheet of paper with the graph and said "this has been the NSW economy" and spoke of how it was headed for a recession.
Meanwhile the latest Iemma TV ads are about how he needs time to 'finish the job'.
Hmmm Iemma needs a better catch phraise, i find it quite annoying lol.

Nick Minchin

HSC
N/A
Last edited:

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
ACnielsen poll is predicting a Labor landslide.

57/43 TPP

This would essentially preserve the status quo.

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
Rafy said:
ACnielsen poll is predicting a Labor landslide.

57/43 TPP

This would essentially preserve the status quo.
Newspoll shows 59 to 41 ALP 2PP lead..

Debnam is all but gone..

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
John Hyde Page summed it up well in "The Education of a Young Liberal" stating that the right faction had no idea how to run an effective election campaign..

Oh if only Brogden or O'Farrell were the leader..

iamsickofyear12

HSC
A strong election campaign would of won it for Liberal. I know Labor always had a lot of support but I'm sure plenty of people would of been willing to change, they just needed convincing.

I say 'needed' and 'would of' because I think it starting to get too late. A lot of people have already made up their minds. Labor got in early (I've heard plenty of their ads) but I am yet to see anything from Liberal. When I finally do see something from them I am sure it isn't going to be good enough.

I'll vote for them this time but I am not going to continue supporting them when I could manage a better election campaign with no political experience.

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
Another case of the devil you know...

And you're right, a decent face/campaign for Liberal would have made a huge difference. NSW voters are apathetic, cause we've got nothing to get excited about!

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
frog12986 said:
John Hyde Page summed it up well in "The Education of a Young Liberal" stating that the right faction had no idea how to run an effective election campaign..

Oh if only Brogden or O'Farrell were the leader..
I don't think Barry has the support of Clarke.

Personally if Brogs had not have been knifed by his own party (or at least was protected) I honestly believe he would have won this upcoming election. He seemed like a nice guy and he had been around long enough for people to actually know who he was.

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
wheredanton said:
I don't think Barry has the support of Clarke.

Personally if Brogs had not have been knifed by his own party (or at least was protected) I honestly believe he would have won this upcoming election. He seemed like a nice guy and he had been around long enough for people to actually know who he was.
I had my reservations about Brogden, but over the last 18 months Debnam has shown is lack of depth, so too has Iemma. The government would have been no match for a charismatic moderate such as Brogden.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)