2007 NRL Thread (1 Viewer)

SyCoTiC

HSC
I never really compared him to Johns. He's simply filling the void but he won't be playing Johns' game but playing his own game to make the halfback position his own and that's how a player becomes successful - Playing their own game instead of another great's and he's been doing that for a long long time when given the opportunity and has proven he's a worthy halfback let alone being pushed into hooker position just to get a gig at first grade. Tough for the kid but he can do it and I think he will do very well in the halfback role.

SyCoTiC

HSC
That was the most pathetic display of basic football I have seen for quite some time and I must say, the Broncos need to start settling down and finding their rhythm because at this rate they will have a very hard time gelling together as a structure. Oh the big question.. What will Wayne Bennett do now? =)

xx__savannah

HSC
UnIqUe_PrInCeSs said:
fucking the new team beat the broncos :eek:
We were just continuing their appalling record @ Suncorp. Pretty shocking game for the Broncs, and I think the Titans just rose above em, let everyone know that they're not the outclassed little brother team.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
good win for the eels in their local derby with the panthers, and yes the upset of titans beating the broncos on their home ground...the broncos surely have a lot of work to do to defend their premiership thats for sure

HotShot

-_-
HSC
QLD are so gonna own NSW in the state of origin this year.

We lack backs, seriously - although Inglish may have slight chance of missing the first match. But still, just look at the QLD backs - lockyer thurston combination. They inglis, Bowen and slater for fullback or wing. Even wesser. Prince for halfback if there is any injury. they have depth.

NSW - who do we have? fuck, fullback probably Hodgson. With johns out we are gonna get raped.

Farah - for hooker - hard to displace Buderus especially since he was captain. Anasta is shit now. Hornby and Gasnier are pathetic.

Our Forwards will own QLds anyday, with Mason and HIndmarsh - there shouldnt be any problems there.

I expect Jarrod Haynes to be in the wing, he is pretty good.

onebytwo

Recession '08
HSC
watatank said:
why what happened? i missed the game yesterday...he can't have gone too bad could he? parra did win...
he was just the finch we all know and love
plain ordinary

SyCoTiC

HSC
I'd like to question the Blues' ability to out-play Maroons forwards HotShot. Last year you forgot that we were missing Ben Ross and Tonie Carroll (for a game or two) who were hugely missed hugely but to have a forward pack like this is very competitive:

Props: Civoniceva, Price
Second Row: Crocker, Webb
Lock: Carroll
Hooker: Smith
Bench: Myles, Ross, Johnson

That is still a very dominant forward pack but just not enough that would open up games but I think with such dominant backs you just need these forwards to lay the platform and move forward. Queensland have lacked that forward dominance since the absence of Tallis and Webcke but that line up is still great if they're all healthy and in-form. I predict the Queensland backline this year to be:

Fullback: Hunt
Wingers: Inglis, (Brenton) Bowen
Centres: Hodges, Tonga
Halfback: Thurston
Five Eighth: Lockyer
Bench: Berrigan, Bowen, Slater

The bench will be decided based on form.

HSC
Hahaha I hope Qld do pick Brenton Bowen, NSW backs would have a field day.

If NSW win it won't be pretty. They will have a solid side, but nothing exceptionally skilled.

Backline for NSW isn't that bad. They will be very solid, although they aren't as skilful or as potentially as dangerous as Qlds. But they can definitely hold their own. They will be big and strong, with people like Lyon, King, Cooper, Minichiello (tipping him to rediscover form by SOO time) and Grothe.

Also, I think that Hornby is one of the most underrated players in the competition and will get picked at five eighth.

With names like Bailey, O'Meley, Ryles, Mason, Hindmarsh, Ryan, Kite, Gallen in NSWs forward pack (to name some examples) I think that edges out Qld's pack quite a bit. If NSW are going to win, they are going to have to really dominate here.

SyCoTiC

HSC
Haha Ryles? Don't think he'll make it, there's far too many front rowers better than him even though he's not playing too bad.

Brenton Bowen is a class act and has absolute speed to back that up. He's a very high chance and if NSW are to win then their halves will need to be very on-song with their kicking game when targetting his side of the field with the high ball even though I can't see that happening with Hunt roving around and Tonga is safe enough under the high ball to back that side. Inglis and Hodges on the other side just seems plain scary if you ask me but that NSW forward pack is genuinely powerful but the only players who seem to be able to burst open games is Mason and O'Meley but they are only 40 - 50 minute players at most so it will take something special for them to conjure up something great considering Price is an 80 minute player, Civo is becoming an absolute workhorse and Johnson can play afull 80 minutes as well.

NSW are kidding themselves even if they don't opt for Minichiello considering the fact that they have no depth in the fullback position and QLD have way too many to consider. The NSW backline has the advantage of aerial dominance when it comes to the kicking game but will still find it tough I believe considering QLD will be fielding the Australian halves. =P

HSC
Brenton Bowen may be fast, but he couldn't defend to save his life. I can't believe you're even considering him when Qld have a plethora of talent to choose from.

Everyone dismisses Ryles, but he is a proven performer at rep level, and he's one of the form props in the competition, and for all the Dragons shitness this year he has been playing awesome. If anything people talk up O'Meley way too much, he isn't as brilliant as everyone thinks.

The respective backlines aren't that badly matched although I have to concede with the Australian halves Qld has quite an advantage there. Qld are more potentially dangerous but NSW have the ability to stop them.

In any case it all hinges on the forward battle. NSW dominated the first match and won, but the other times the Qld forwards dominated.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
SyCoTiC said:
I'd like to question the Blues' ability to out-play Maroons forwards HotShot. Last year you forgot that we were missing Ben Ross and Tonie Carroll (for a game or two) who were hugely missed hugely but to have a forward pack like this is very competitive:

Props: Civoniceva, Price
Second Row: Crocker, Webb
Lock: Carroll
Hooker: Smith
Bench: Myles, Ross, Johnson

That is still a very dominant forward pack but just not enough that would open up games but I think with such dominant backs you just need these forwards to lay the platform and move forward. Queensland have lacked that forward dominance since the absence of Tallis and Webcke but that line up is still great if they're all healthy and in-form. I predict the Queensland backline this year to be:

Fullback: Hunt
Wingers: Inglis, (Brenton) Bowen
Centres: Hodges, Tonga
Halfback: Thurston
Five Eighth: Lockyer
Bench: Berrigan, Bowen, Slater

The bench will be decided based on form.
I think the blues have better forwards by QLD, but QLD will own us in the backs. I dont think Brenton BOwen will play in the wings, - expect Tate. Hunt wont be fullback either- it will most likely go to Bowen as first choice.

NSW forwards - HIndmarsh, Bailey, Mason, O'Meley.

Minnichello wont make it - too much of a risk. Hodgson is a much better especially defending against short through kicks form thurston or lockyer.

Its really Farah vs Buderus - buderus will be favoured cos he has to be captain.
Five-eight - Hornby - no way we will lose almost certain if he is.

Surely there is someone better.

we have good centres, and wings, its just the halfback and five eight going to be a problem. Cooper and Gasnier in the centres. King and Haynes in the wing.

HSC
Gower, Orford will most likely get the nod for NSW halfback, they are worthy candidates even if they aren't quite as good as thurston.

Well there really aren't many other options at 5/8 for NSW.

Hornby usually goes really well when he has support, when he doesn't have to do everything himself, like he does at the Dragons now (with Head out of form, Williams not reproducing the form he showed on his debut).

You've got Mullen at Knights, Carney at Raiders who both are very good players but might be too young at this stage. I suppose selectors could take a risk and put Jamie Lyon there, but he has been playing centre all season. Can't think of many others, unless selectors are desperate enough to call up someone like Finch or Anasta :rofl:

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
knights defeated the rabbitohs by a point. go the knights!

i'd like to see kurt gidley to be given a chance at origin, rather than mullen. simply because kiddy has been playing awesome so far, and mullen will need to prove that he can handle the pressure before he can play origin - after all, it is not just a game of footy, its origin.

HSC
Newcastle won :D Good to see they werent crap coz of Johns leaving.

Cronulla lost:( And Cowboys got slaughtered! 34-14

trao06

HSC
hey all! im kinda new to bos so i figured i would intro my team and such lol

PARRAMATTA EELS!! =D

and i would like to add that i HATE daniel wagon and think that buying brett finch instead of keeping john morris was the stupidest thing they could do, and blake green does a way better job!

but they are in form with 3 wins in a row yayaya!

how many eels fans in here? :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)