2006 Ag Students (1 Viewer)

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
drynxz said:
lol im going to hurlstone agriculture...but is ag easy to pic up for someone who doesnt know nething bout ag?? like im gonna be competing against people who have done ag for the past 4 years...
I'm at Hurlstone too. Hi roche.

To drynxz who is in the year below me - I have no idea who you are but.. Don't worry. Agriculture in junior years revolved around pointless things like learning breeds, terms, etc. The only great thing you missed was the crash-course in tractor driving. :)

Now, there WAS some information that we got which is useful because its part of the HSC/Prelim syllabus also.. But we do it again in the senior years in more detail anyway so you shouldnt worry about it.

As for the school itself, we're lucky at Hurlstone because we get hands on practicals also but in the end, the information that we learn in class and are examined on don't really benefit from hands-on experience as much as you'd think. (Well.. at least thats what I think...)
Though we did get to run a lettuce trial this year which went nicely :)

Agriculture has to be one of my favourite subjects...

I don't mean to boast, but I put so little effort into it (at home) compared to other subjects and I do great!

With Agriculture I've really found that I only have to be very attentive in class, get my notes down.. and well.. Learn them when the time comes.

Last edited:

aolai

HSC
our first 3 assessment tasks for ag (each worth 10%) were like..basically open book.. its just like writing da discussion, conclusion and reccommendations in a test =S

EFunnell

HSC
AG electives

Hey ppl!
i was just wondering where ppl are getting there info for the ag elective topics-- the ones where we do our own research...
any info would b gr8!
thanx

aolai

HSC
all da info of ag elective topics should be in the textboooks... such as dynamic ag 3, ufa, and all da thin books by lovett . das wot our skool (ruse) gave us..~ we'r doing the animal and plant electiv

Last edited:

drynxz

I..solated..ated..ated
HSC
My ag teacher was one of the teachers that wrote dynamic ag...>< it was hilarious to see his name on the cover

greenthumb

HSC
yeah ag is great. i've done it for 5 years (i'm now in year 12) and it gets betta n betta. senior ag is more theory based but there are still practical components. it's easy to pick up in yr 11 cos a few in our class did that and find it ok

yeah i hate the fact that we're going against the top ag schools who know content back to front n have the best teachers :-( but i have a good teacher and i think i'll do alright. there's not much competition at my skool tho cos i'm in a class of 6

HSC
yeah, it's annoying that we'll be against schools such as james ruse :(
btw, i'm in a class of 11.

Sham

92NTY6
HSC
emilyking said:
..your mark shouldn't go down because you are competing with ag high schools, the marks are scaled in accordance with your class at your school, not the state results. so basically, if on average your class goes badly, you will all go worse.
haha. now that is true. we had a really small class (so much so they combined us with the following year 11's) and only 3 sought to outdo each other. its hard though, when you're taking in high 90's and you get your HSC result back in the 70's..

as for the going against ag schools -- it holds true in some respect, i came from small non-ag school and during the subject selections the VP took aside one of my mates who had a clash and pretty much told her to drop ag in favour of her other subjects because of the emphasis on the subject in ag-schools.

but either way, i took it knowing its 'unfavourability', it definitely made the most memorable moments of my schooling life. so work hard, but have fun -- you'll find thats the agger way =P

Borbor

HSC
chocolate_lover said:
yeah, it's annoying that we'll be against schools such as james ruse :(
btw, i'm in a class of 11.
:devil: it's not that bad xP

kara2006

HSC
Hey i noticed that you's were talkin about a senior ag camp in sydney is this the 1 thats coming up really soon at that uni in sydney i cant remeber what 1 oops.. but anyway im going 2 that this year & wondered what it would be like.. so its good 2 hear that you enjoyed it.. i go 2 st. pauls at walla & there are 3 of us going 2 it. Also would any1 have any info or no were 2 get som on lamb marketing i have an assesment on it and it doesnt seem 2 make all that much sense and theres not 2 much information around.. thx :)

suzieee

HSC
chocolate_lover said:
Yay, my ag teacher lets us eat and drink (coffee and tea!) in class! :)
all my teachers let us drink coffee and tea in class... my maths and phys/chem teachers used to buy us biscuits (mmmmm tim tams!) and my eng teacher used to buy is pizza. my ag teacher used to make us tea and coffee himself (he remebered how everyone in the class likes it :) ) and steal us cheesecakes and things from the fridge in the staffroom. he was pretty cool :) im gonna miss ag

about whether or not you'll be ok... i did ag all through high school, except for yr 9. we basically did only prac until we got to yr 12- we were always down at the farm mucking up on the tractors or the motorbikes, or leading the cattlew or something. then at the start of this year, we actually started the course, we managed to get it finished in time, and do an extra elective so we could pick the best two in the exams. but all my class comes from a rural background and its all basically stuff we already knew (our teacher made us do a HSC paper at the beginning of yr 11 and nobody in the class got less that 70%) ive heard of people in the city getting 98% and stuff, so they must put heaps of effort into it :) (but i also know people in the city who go 30 and 40%...)

anyways... i hope that helps :)

suzieee

HSC
greenthumb said:
yeah ag is great. i've done it for 5 years (i'm now in year 12) and it gets betta n betta. senior ag is more theory based but there are still practical components. it's easy to pick up in yr 11 cos a few in our class did that and find it ok

yeah i hate the fact that we're going against the top ag schools who know content back to front n have the best teachers :-( but i have a good teacher and i think i'll do alright. there's not much competition at my skool tho cos i'm in a class of 6
i was in a class of 3. two of us usually do well, and the other one tries really hard (me and the other girl do basically nothing) but cant catch us :) so im kinda worried that her marks will bring the rest of us down....

H

hung.nguyen24

drynxz ?
Is that YOU , Damian !
WHOA UR HERE !

Well I go Hurlstone too. Awesome skewl.
Ag isn't too bad i guess, but there's just so much to remember ! ><"
It's like .. biology and like .. geography or something .. mixed together.

veesbanh

HSC
Wow... Lots of people here go to Hurlstone! Well, I have been offered a place to study at Hurlstone in yr 11/12 [starting next yr] and well the teacher told me that ALL new students would have to do agriculture in both prelim and HSC year. This turned me off going to Hurlstone because I only wanted to do agriculture in prelim year and drop it in yr 12 but I'm not allowed. I have nothing against agriculture, sounds like fun but I just don't want to drop my exts or [one of my subjects] physics, chem and economics and 14 units is too much for me in yr12.

To people who are either studying agriculture now or in the past... would it be worth dropping my other subjects for agriculture, in your opinion?

HSC
veesbanh said:
Wow... Lots of people here go to Hurlstone! Well, I have been offered a place to study at Hurlstone in yr 11/12 [starting next yr] and well the teacher told me that ALL new students would have to do agriculture in both prelim and HSC year. This turned me off going to Hurlstone because I only wanted to do agriculture in prelim year and drop it in yr 12 but I'm not allowed. I have nothing against agriculture, sounds like fun but I just don't want to drop my exts or [one of my subjects] physics, chem and economics and 14 units is too much for me in yr12.

To people who are either studying agriculture now or in the past... would it be worth dropping my other subjects for agriculture, in your opinion?
The thing is, you haven't even started any of those courses yet, so you can't really judge them. For subjects like ag, physics and chem, you do need a good teacher, otherwise they will be torture. For all you know, you mightn't even be given the option of taking all those subjects, because of the way the subject lines have been run...

veesbanh

HSC
chocolate_lover said:
The thing is, you haven't even started any of those courses yet, so you can't really judge them. For subjects like ag, physics and chem, you do need a good teacher, otherwise they will be torture. For all you know, you mightn't even be given the option of taking all those subjects, because of the way the subject lines have been run...
lolz... becoz I'm a new student, I get to pick subjects after the other student set the subjects and lines and stuff and none of my subjects clash... which makes it harder... you're right... I can't judge them... maybe I should risk and go to the new school and see first? hmm...

tranbo

TRANBO
HSC
damian how is ag coming along, i find it quite good because at hurlstone i sit next to this really smart guy who knows all the answers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)