2 Major works = big mistake? (1 Viewer)

Scinery

HSC
OMGOMGOMG
ive always been planning to do History Extension and inow im being peer pressured to consider doing 4unit english, the only thing holding me back is the idea of 2 major works. Ive never been an *expert* on time management..

Im doing chemistry modern and 3unit maths. so it will come to 12 units. and im not the best for time management. but ive always always got above 95% for any history or english pre-prepared "works"

does anyone know anyone who did two major works and failed or two major works and did really well in both? because i believe they are both due around the same time? i want to do them because i enjoy them both and im good at them both.

im safe to drop one of them if it becomes too much to handle.

Shoubadoo

HSC
Go for it man!
I do two major works, I was doing three (the third being 4u English) but I so detested english 3 that I dropped it, leaving me with two major works.
Although I do two, I consider drama pretty much 2 in itself, because I do a group work and an individual project.

My friend does modern history extension and 4u English.
I'll ask her if she had to drop one, which one that'd be, and let you know.
But by all means, take them both.

The key to success in HSC year is to be organised with your time. If you do that, you'll honestly do just fine.

Last edited:

omgd.

HSC
N/A
OMGG i have the samee problemmm !!
except its history ext & society and culturee !!
the pip is a horrible horrible thing which should diee.
ive always liked the idea of assgnmnts bcz it tkes the pressure off exams and are soo much easierrr. but the idea of two majors on top of all of hsc is likee... :bat:

Shan4curry

HSC
I know 2 people in my grade doing 3 Major Works each.

But you say you're being 'peer pressured' to do 4 Unit English? By who exactly? Because if that's the reason, I wouldn't do it. There's no point doing something somebody else is forcing you to.

Do what you really think you do well in. Don't worry about what others think. There's nothing wrong with doing 2 Major Works, but if you're truly not confident with your time management skills, stick with one. Otherwise, go for it. It's ultimately your decision.

For your question on knowing who's failed/done well, I don't know anyone particularly, but I'm sure that if they've decided on doing that number of works, they were aware of what was ahead of them. =P

Scinery

HSC
Shan4curry said:
I know 2 people in my grade doing 3 Major Works each.

But you say you're being 'peer pressured' to do 4 Unit English? By who exactly? Because if that's the reason, I wouldn't do it. There's no point doing something somebody else is forcing you to.

Do what you really think you do well in. Don't worry about what others think. There's nothing wrong with doing 2 Major Works, but if you're truly not confident with your time management skills, stick with one. Otherwise, go for it. It's ultimately your decision.

For your question on knowing who's failed/done well, I don't know anyone particularly, but I'm sure that if they've decided on doing that number of works, they were aware of what was ahead of them. =P
naw not like that...just friends and teachers opening my eyes to the fact that ill enjoy it AND be good at it. i wouldnt have considered it otherwise because of the fact/myth that i wont be able to handle 2 major works...and its history > english without a second thought.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
i know somone who did
Society = pip
Art = bow
Ext His= report thing
4U english

they did all 4 and did really well, this was in 2005 and she got a uai of 94.5 i think so it can done but 3 would be too much for me, 2 i could handle, but only do 4U english if YOU want too.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I'd do it. Both courses are quite challenging, however, I believe that they are equally rewarding.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
you'll be fine! i mean, everyone goes through a stage where they just hate their major works, but you get over that when it really starts to come together. Ive finished both of mine and it feels like the HSC is half done already

Just make sure you are organized

morning storm

HSC
i did 2 this year. ext history and 4u english also.

in hindsight it was a stupid choice. i knew my time management is poor yet i did them anyway.

havent got the marks back for either of them, but i know ill have gone well. despite that however, they've collectively caused me an immeasurable amount of grief.

id advise that if you dont have great willpower or you lack time management skills and a good routine, you strongly consider dropping one of them.

as to which one, that's a personal choice. i found history personally to be a lot more reliable. not much that can go wrong in writing an essay. english is a bit more risky i think; you're relying on many variables.

having said that, overall i have found english more rewarding because of that creative process and unseen challenges

dood09

Frontier Psychiatrist ☻
HSC
N/A
2 major works really shouldn;t be a problem

Allan vB

HSC
I do Ext History and Ext2 English - they're both really great courses but you'll have to have good motivation for independent learning. It is most important is that you don't leave the majors to the last minute, which I have. The Ext2 major work is due during my trial week, neek week that is... STRESS!!!

Don't be put off by this, it's great fun! Just don't leave it too late...

jazzbaby

HSC
if your good at them
go for it
like you said if it gets too much stress..drop one

you will never know until u try

GOOD LUCK

x

wendus

krawr.
HSC
man i did THREE majors. i'm surviving. it's great fun, pretty rewarding. do it! :)

SoulPeaches

HSC
Aaah, dude. I did 3 subjects with major works this year. VA, Drama and 4U, and OH BOY. All due in the next 2 weeks. Just finished my Ext 2 today. Uughh.

I'm no master of time management myself, but hey. If you think you can manage it, go for it. I honestly found all my mjaor work subjects really rewarding, and I have a friend who did both History Ext and 4U English...she's not regretting. Just make sure you have enough units to bail out if it gets too heavy.

Allan vB

HSC
Spoke to a friend, she has four: English extension 2, history extension, visual art and textiles... She seems to have coped faitly well.

LollitaEx

Muggle
HSC
really??

i have a drama and a dat major work, but i want to take up extension history, which is another.

I am really not someone who could cope and i want to drop dat for history, but i cant

what should i do?? :( sadness

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)