1o units being risky ? - my subject selections (1 Viewer)

arghstupidjo

HSC
Im planning to drop a few things this term and considering to take up religion 2unit.
Im really not sure though, and even had an appointment with the principal to work things out.
ok i have never passed a single math exam since my preliminary life. I'm averaging on band threes and i think they're low band threes. However, at my school we have to do compulsory religion. I chose 1 unit without thinking, and stupidly enough, i want to go up to 2 unit and drop mathematics.
In prelim exams i came 2nd and 4th for religion 1 unit. For math, i came second last.
Is it silly to go up to 2unit at the moment? and drop math?
or should i drop math, go to 2unit religon and keep 1 unit of extension history? <- so 11 units wont be that risky.
For my half yearlies this year, for extension history i ranked 1.. but with a really bad mark of 17/25.
So what should i do?

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
For the HSC, it's really the rank not the mark you should be worrying about now. Therefore, keep extension history for now unless it is too much work/you are disliking it.

If your failing math, drop it. There is no point in having a "back up" units if you are literally failing the units. Unless you completely flunk in one of your other exams so that your math somehow gives you a better scaled mark than it. So, drop math.

If you want to and are ready for the extra units, pick up SOR II. If not, simply don't. You rank in SOR I is good enough already.

To reiterate: Don't keep subjects you are failing just for a back up. The actual likelyhood of you failing a HSC exam and therefore needing back up units is highly unlikely.

I Study Hard

HSC
I say take up the extra unit of religion and drop maths.
Like others have said, no point whatsoever in doing maths if you're failing.
Unless you specifically need it for a uni course you want to do?
Even then you could just take a bridging course for it, i think?
((i'm not 100% sure on this))

alex09hsc

HSC
I wanted to do 10 units as more incentive to study since I'd know I wouldn't have backups. However, I couldnt really choose a weakest as they were all relatively equal....drop your worst

AnandDNA

HSC
drop maths and keep hisotry. But its upto you whether you want to risk doing 10 units. If you think you are going to do well in SOR2 then you would also be able to do heaps good in SOR1 and plus you have 1 unit less. You have more time to use on your 10 units then doing 11 units thinking that 10 units are risky.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Im planning to drop a few things this term and considering to take up religion 2unit.
Im really not sure though, and even had an appointment with the principal to work things out.
ok i have never passed a single math exam since my preliminary life. I'm averaging on band threes and i think they're low band threes. However, at my school we have to do compulsory religion. I chose 1 unit without thinking, and stupidly enough, i want to go up to 2 unit and drop mathematics.
In prelim exams i came 2nd and 4th for religion 1 unit. For math, i came second last.
Is it silly to go up to 2unit at the moment? and drop math?
or should i drop math, go to 2unit religon and keep 1 unit of extension history? <- so 11 units wont be that risky.
For my half yearlies this year, for extension history i ranked 1.. but with a really bad mark of 17/25.
So what should i do?
If you're currently doing SORI, I don't think you're able to go up to the 2U course. However in saying that, if you are able to, then I'd advise you should. Don't do maths if you're doing crap in it, because Maths only scales well ... if you do well.

Also, you're another person who I think I know. Does the word 'mayo' ring a bell :p

eriito

Elite Member
HSC
if you are sure the units you want to drop won't count to your 10 units for hsc then theres no point in continuing those courses

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
10 units was the best decision i ever made. Averaging over 90 in everything because less units = more time to study/revise/major work/whatever.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)