~$12k on car (1 Viewer)

Alex2

HSC
Got in the 11 - 13k bracket to spend on a new (2nd hand) car... thoughts anyone? Upgrading from a (fairly stock) VS Acclaim V6...

Can't be more than 6 cylinders (P plater restrictions), although its NSW so tehres no power restrictions, just can't be 8 cyl and has to be Naturally Aspirated.

Medium-large size... I'm seriously open to consider anything, I'm stuck for ideas (there's so much choice.)

I was thinking a VY Berlina but really .... suggest away.

boris

Banned
HSC
Why are you looking for such a shit car for so much money anyway?

2002 camry sportivo

any camry

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
What do you actually want from a car? What's wrong with your current car? How will the next thing be better? It sounds like you're upgrading from a car that does everything you want, for no reason. Which isn't really upgrading at all, it's just pissing money away.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
The correct answer is, get a hilux.

Or get a small, fuel efficient, sporty car/hot hatch.

Whatever you do, don't get a later model commodore.

boris

Banned
HSC
I wouldnt bother with a hilux unless you are planning on going offroad. And 2wd hiluxes are just small inefficient 2 seaters that are good for nothing.

Large car: Camry
Medium car: Corolla
Small car: new barina or something or old hond i30 idk
sporty car: peugeot 206 gti, crap old jap sports things like preludes (not sporty but meh),

but yeah a vs to a vy commodore, there isnt that much difference lol.

and as if you would buy a vy commodore for $12 they are not worth that much

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
I wouldnt bother with a hilux unless you are planning on going offroad. And 2wd hiluxes are just small inefficient 2 seaters that are good for nothing.
Good for nothing.

Except for when you need to move house. Or you want to buy furniture. Or move any large items. Motorbikes <3. If you ever do any travelling or camping, with a tonneau cover and a mattress, sleeping in the back kills a tent any time. So practical.

If you don't use 4 seats regularly, it's silly not to have a ute. That, or a van.

4wd hilux's are only meant for light off-roading, they're no match for serious 4wds.

I've never driven any Australian car, but on paper they look like they'd be fun. Big V6, rwd, why do you say they're so bad? They're doing up a 90's XR6 in 'motor', for the price they really hammer in a straight line, I'm tempted.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Good for nothing.

Except for when you need to move house. Or you want to buy furniture. Or move any large items. Motorbikes <3. If you ever do any travelling or camping, with a tonneau cover and a mattress, sleeping in the back kills a tent any time. So practical.

If you don't use 4 seats regularly, it's silly not to have a ute. That, or a van.
Aren't utes much less stable structurally than a normal car? If you want storage space, I'd go a decent-sized hatchback. Like my car, which is an awesome beast for storage.

4wd hilux's are only meant for light off-roading, they're no match for serious 4wds.
Top Gear’s Polar Special - Wikipedia

Admittedly they made a few minor modifications :p :eek:

boris

Banned
HSC
Good points.

Utes generally have terrible fuel consumption though.

I would prefer a hilux over most other stock 4wds. Modified anything can be good with the right parts.

They are fun. Fun for decent straight line speed, drifting and burnouts (with 4 mates). Not for nice twisty alpine roads, hitting apexes etc. Yeah they are also cheap as to do up because of the amount that are out there. It wouldnt be hard to get 250kw out of a 90s falcon 6 cylinder. I wouldnt be hard to get 350km+ out of an 8. I like driving them when i am getting bored of having any sort of grip. They are good if you like that sort of thing. And if you like buying new tires every couple of weeks. And having your fuel tank last a week etc. Good value for money though.

Edit: yeah utes are usually less structurally stable because they are a chassis with a little cabin on top and a flimsy aluminium tray. Heaps of chassis flex and stuff, but it doesnt matter really because they are built for any sort of handling etc, just reliability and carrying loads. Except commodore utes lol, they are built more for handling.

Yeah i can fit a washing machine, a double swag full of pillows and blankets, 2 eskys and 2 bags in the back of my little peugeot.

Last edited:

boris

Banned
HSC
Everyone goes on about how bad commodores and falcons (included) are but in reality they have a purpose and they serve it well. It takes international companies a lot of effort to beat the falcondores bang for your buck.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
IDK; we've been shopping around for a car for a while now (and we've decided on a new Golf) and we had a look at Holdens vs some European brands. In comparison for relative prices, the "Aussie" cars had terrible build quality.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Everyone goes on about how bad commodores and falcons (included) are but in reality they have a purpose and they serve it well. It takes international companies a lot of effort to beat the falcondores bang for your buck.
You'd have to be nuts to pay more than twice the price of an SS commodore for a BMW with the same power output imo. Again, I've never been in either, but it can't be that great, and BMW isn't an amazingly cool, aspirational brand.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
You'd have to be nuts to pay more than twice the price of an SS commodore for a BMW with the same power output imo. Again, I've never been in either, but it can't be that great, and BMW isn't an amazingly cool, aspirational brand.
Neither is Holden :p

boris

Banned
HSC
no small holdens are australian

only the commodore is.

the rest are either korean or european anyway

Edit: exactly graney. not when there are subaru libertys getting around lol

justanotherposter

Epic Member
HSC
What do you actually want from a car? What's wrong with your current car? How will the next thing be better? It sounds like you're upgrading from a car that does everything you want, for no reason. Which isn't really upgrading at all, it's just pissing money away.
This is a pretty good point. The VS will have jack all resale value atm, just use it until its end of life. There's really no need to go and spend 12k on a new car if the VS is still chugging along fine.

CIV1501

Banned
HSC
I agree, use the VS until it dies, in the meantime saving money for a decent car.

sickk

HSC
my hilux has never seen off road, its 5 seater AMPLE room, and doesnt look half bad, plus its not like every second car on the street is one (commodore)

OT: check out astra convertibles, pick up a good on 2nd for 12kish

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)