?/120 is good for an 80+? (1 Viewer)

Nissanist

I noe this is a very popular question and has been asked many times, but it has to be asked again. How many questions in the HSC exams should be completed to get a scaled mark to 80+? assuming you get all the attempted questions right. as in how many marks out fo 120. since im planning on scrapping mechanics and Harder 3U and some conics. :chainsaw:

??????

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
Nissanist said:
I noe this is a very popular question and has been asked many times, but it has to be asked again. How many questions in the HSC exams should be completed to get a scaled mark to 80+? assuming you get all the attempted questions right. as in how many marks out fo 120. since im planning on scrapping mechanics and Harder 3U and some conics. :chainsaw:

??????

in the hsc... last year to get more than 80...

50/120?

conics is the best and easiest subject man...
its almost all the same thing...
u'll be able to answer everything up to the last part of the question which shouldnt b hard anyways.

I like harder 3unit now aswell...
inequalities is the best.

tempco

HSC
80 for your hsc mark wouldn't scale well at all.

i guess it's too late now, but you should've stuck with 2/3u.

Last edited:

Taradar

Master
HSC
What are you on about, 80/120 is a good mark for four unit. However the easiest subjects are conics (and integration) harder 3 unit is prob the hardest stuff so if anything scrap that.

Nissanist

ive roughly worked out how much of the paper i can do, id say 60/120? wat would that scale to?

Well i can do conics, but onli half the questions, itz just i cant get my head around the geometry of the points n stuff.

tempco

HSC
Taradar said:
What are you on about, 80/120 is a good mark for four unit.
but it isn't worth the effort.

if he/she spent time doing 2u/3u rigorously, instead of a half-assed attempt at 4u, 2u/3u would have contributed more in terms of uai points per hour you study.

but what can i say... heaps of people do 4u just because it's an "OMG HIGH scalar subjectz", but because they actually can do it.

but since you're in this position already, at least know the basics of each of the topics you've intended to "scrap". the first few parts of each question should be quite easy to get out.

dawso

needmorecustomstatusspace
HSC
tempco said:
oops, 80 as in hsc mark. not raw mark.
no.....he meant 80 as in raw mark in the hsc...which is a fair decent effort and will get u a band E4 easily

tempco

HSC
dawso said:
no.....he meant 80 as in raw mark in the hsc...which is a fair decent effort and will get u a band E4 easily
yes, 80/120 as a raw mark in the hsc exam will earn you a e4.

but the original poster was asking for a raw mark that would be the equivalent of a hsc mark of 80.

Nissanist

what would a 60/120 raw mark scale up to? and what raw mark is need to get into the band 5?

Captain pi

HSC
Nissanist said:
what would a 60/120 raw mark scale up to? and what raw mark is need to get into the band 5?
That information is not in the public domain. You won't find out here. If you must know, you will have to fork out $125 dollars (probably more) plus legal costs and take the Board to the ADT under FOI.

hasterz

HSC
Captain pi said:
How can you possibly know this?
a friend last year attempted approximatley 85/120 of the marks and got 93 so a 92+ for 80 /120 is a fair estimation.

hasterz

HSC
Captain pi said:
That information is not in the public domain. You won't find out here. If you must know, you will have to fork out $125 dollars (probably more) plus legal costs and take the Board to the ADT under FOI.
his only after a rough estimation i would imagine. but yes, cap pi is rite that we can never precisely determine it since the BOS is being stingy with the raw marks not the mention raw band cutoffs change every year.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
tempco said:
80 for your hsc mark wouldn't scale well at all.

i guess it's too late now, but you should've stuck with 2/3u.
I have to say you are incorrect.

An 80+ aligned in 4u (which more than 60% of 4u students get) scales higher than a 90 aligned in Ancient History and Advanced English, to name a few. The argument that 2u maths would help more is also invalid, since 3u now counts for 2 units.

tempco

HSC
Slide Rule said:
I have to say you are incorrect.

An 80+ aligned in 4u (which more than 60% of 4u students get) scales higher than a 90 aligned in Ancient History and Advanced English, to name a few.
well, i've done 2u, 3u and 4u and i have a rough idea of how much effort and time each subject takes in order to score a good mark (since each person is different, obviously).

imo, the time and effort that would have been spent on 4u could be better spent on 2u and 3u and getting a high mark in both subjects, as opposed to getting an ok mark in 4u.

Slide Rule said:
The argument that 2u maths would help more is also invalid, since 3u now counts for 2 units.
come again?

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Your OK mark of 84 in maths ext 2 will also trump a 95 in latin.

tempco

HSC
Templar said:
Your OK mark of 84 in maths ext 2 will also trump a 95 in latin.
80 is an OK mark. and if you aim for 80, you'll probably get lower - similar to how many people aim for 100 UAI, but end up with .6s or .7s, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)