• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

?/120 is good for an 80+? (1 Viewer)

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
tempco said:
80 is an OK mark. and if you aim for 80, you'll probably get lower - similar to how many people aim for 100 UAI, but end up with .6s or .7s, etc.
Look, I don't believe people should take 4u maths simply for the scaling. But a below average 4u aligned mark of 80 is better for you than a 95 or 90 in pretty much every other subject.

If you're struggling to get 80 AND you've been putting in a lot of hard work, maybe 2u and 3u would be better for you in terms of scaling - but I doubt it. Not only does 4u increase your 3u mark be enforcing many 3u concepts, but dropping 4u is the equivalent of dropping 3 high scaling units and picking up 2 slightly above average scaling units. And further, you've obviously already spent that time doing hard work. Dropping 4u would be counterproductive at that point.

If you can get 80+ aligned I believe you should do 4u, because it'll help out not just your UAI but also your problem solving skills. And it provides a fresh challenge compared to the boring rote-learning that is the rest of the HSC.

I agree people shouldn't aim to get 80, rather 85 or 90 (or higher if they can).

One last thing: 60/120 in your trials is 80+, most probably 85+. I've heard a lot of people saying they're going to drop 4u because they only got 40-50% in their trial.

Stefano

Sexiest Member
HSC
Slide Rule said:
If you can get 80+ aligned I believe you should do 4u, because it'll help out not just your UAI but also your problem solving skills. And it provides a fresh challenge compared to the boring rote-learning that is the rest of the HSC.
So have we decided what RAW exam score one requires for 80+ aligned?

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Stefano said:
So have we decided what RAW exam score one requires for 80+ aligned?
We never will. Just do your best.

50% raw is definitely 80+ aligned, though - I think we'll all agree on that.

Stefano

Sexiest Member
HSC
That's GREAT news ! :D

Thanks. I better start studying this weekend aye?

Edit*: Oh, and Slide:

BOS_Forum_Bot said:
Slide Rule has exceeded their stored private messages quota and can not accept further messages until they clear some space.
Please make space so I can send you a PM! lol... thanks

Last edited:

justchillin

HSC
My opinion: if you don't get 97+ for the HSC course mark (ie ranked top 3 and raw mark >105) then you'd be better off with a lower level of maths. People always say how well Ex 2 contributes to your uai but that is only in the really top marks... when ur talking about 50/120... you'd be better off getting near 100 in 2 unit...:)

justchillin

HSC
Hey I know the scaling is good aight but Ex 2 is worthless unless u get 97+.... [in my opinion] :)

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Why is getting <97 worthless? Its not like you need to ace 4 unit (or even do it) to do well in future mathematics.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Please keep in mind that Justchillin is the same person who goes around saying that 4u mathematics is too easy and that the exams should be made harder.

I've made some room in my inbox. :)

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
justchillin said:
My opinion: if you don't get 97+ for the HSC course mark (ie ranked top 3 and raw mark >105) then you'd be better off with a lower level of maths.
So in your opinion I should not have done maths ext 2. How ironic.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
justchillin said:
My opinion: if you don't get 97+ for the HSC course mark (ie ranked top 3 and raw mark >105) then you'd be better off with a lower level of maths. People always say how well Ex 2 contributes to your uai but that is only in the really top marks... when ur talking about 50/120... you'd be better off getting near 100 in 2 unit...:)
I don't think it's necessary to get 97+ to make MX2 worthwhile. Personally, I've estimated that I'd be better off with an 88/100 in MX2 along with a 96/100 for MX1 than my 98/100 in 2U. If you incorporate the level of work required, I'd say an 85+/100 makes MX2 worthwhile. A student who merely sits in class and listens to the teacher can probably manage 85/100, keeping in mind that a significant part of MX2 is easier than what may be found in a MX1 or even a 2U paper.

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Yeh juschillin is the guy who put "unsw interview accepted" in his sig the day before they were released.

David_O

HSC
N/A
justchillin said:
Hey I know the scaling is good aight but Ex 2 is worthless unless u get 97+.... [in my opinion] :)
Maybe you're right. If you can get 99 or 100 in 10 other units.
Somehow, I doubt you can.

(And if you could, heh, do Ext 2. for the fun of it).

Stefano

Sexiest Member
HSC
justchillin said:
You have no idea what you're talking about mate.

AT THE VERY LEAST (UAI aside) it's a fun course which provides you with a greater logical capacity and broadens your mind.
Additionally, it makes 3u a hell of a lot easier.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
justchillin said:
97 course mark not raw...
Nevertheless, stating that an aligned mark of 97 is required to make MX2 worthwhile suggests that ~99% of MX2 students will gain little from the course which is, of course, incorrect.

shafqat

HSC
N/A
justchillin said:
That's not true, 4U is worthwhile if you enjoy it and get something out of it. Besides, I'd say the top few students are actually not particularly advantaged compared to other subjects. Think about it this way: an aligned of 99 might get you a uac of 99.5 or so, but a 96 will also get pushed up fairly high, say >98. Because the marks are 'squashed,' it is really those with mid 90s marks who are most advantaged, as they only need say 100 raw to get their aligned mark.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)