100% in 4u maths? (1 Viewer)

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yo yo dudes has anyone ever scored 100% raw for 4u maths? Is it even possible??

Ive heard people get 100 for exam mark and stuff, but this doesn't necessarily mean they got 100% right? What raw mark usually scales to 100 exam mark in 4u?
Anthony Henderson, who now teaches at the University of Sydney, scored 100% raw in the 4U Maths in 1993.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
maybe the scaling was different back in 1993?
That doesn't make sense. The Board determines state ranks by differentiating the smallest of margins and in some cases taking into consideration performance in related courses to break ties. The fact there exists a tie suggests that there was nothing the Board could find that could have separated the two candidates.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
I bet if you made your BOS trial and sold it to the top schools in the state to use as their trial then you would have people getting over 70%. You just haven't got enough of the population doing 4u doing your exam every year (because you are only going through BOS). It's not a reliable experiment, meaning its not valid either.
In 2013 four of the state rankers (including 1st) did it and didn't get 70.

Also last year an Olympiad did it and didn't get 70.

physchemnotes

HSC
That doesn't make sense. The Board determines state ranks by differentiating the smallest of margins and in some cases taking into consideration performance in related courses to break ties. The fact there exists a tie suggests that there was nothing the Board could find that could have separated the two candidates.
What I fail to understand is how there could not be ties. When you say "smallest of margins," isn't the smallest of margin just 1 raw mark? Meaning that say if there were 10 ranks, and everyone gets 95-99, there should be at least 3 people on the same mark in some cases. Now you would assume someone getting 95-99 in extension 2 would do pretty well in extension 1 as well (lets say 97-100), so there should be a strong probability that ties occur, yet looking through the rankings they appear quite rare? Also they should be even more common in extension 1 since the marks are going to be generally higher, yet I don't see any there either

Drsoccerball

HSC
What I fail to understand is how there could not be ties. When you say "smallest of margins," isn't the smallest of margin just 1 raw mark? Meaning that say if there were 10 ranks, and everyone gets 95-99, there should be at least 3 people on the same mark in some cases. Now you would assume someone getting 95-99 in extension 2 would do pretty well in extension 1 as well (lets say 97-100), so there should be a strong probability that ties occur, yet looking through the rankings they appear quite rare? Also they should be even more common in extension 1 since the marks are going to be generally higher, yet I don't see any there either
Yeah but if one person got the answer in 3 lines while the other got it in 3 pages the 3 lines would be seen as more elegant.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Keep in mind the final marks are in 0.5 increments as they are the average of internal and external marks. Further to this, where there are ties purely on marks, the Board then considers performance in related courses (e.g. marks in Ext1 when ranking Ext2) to break those ties. I'm sure there are other things the Board uses as well to break ties.

Also, keep in mind that back then the Ext2 papers used to be out of 120 rather than out of 100. Similarly Ext1 papers used to be out of 84 rather than out of 70.

physchemnotes

HSC
Keep in mind the final marks are in 0.5 increments as they are the average of internal and external marks. Further to this, where there are ties purely on marks, the Board then considers performance in related courses (e.g. marks in Ext1 when ranking Ext2) to break those ties. I'm sure there are other things the Board uses as well to break ties.

Also, keep in mind that back then the Ext2 papers used to be out of 120 rather than out of 100. Similarly Ext1 papers used to be out of 84 rather than out of 70.
Hang on, my understanding was that if you were ranked first internally (which I would imagine most state rankers would be, unless the person that beat them is also a state ranker), then your external mark was made the same as your internal mark (assuming you also rank first externally.) Am I mistaken?

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
Meaning that say if there were 10 ranks, and everyone gets 95-99, there should be at least 3 people on the same mark in some cases.
At least 2* but see below

Hang on, my understanding was that if you were ranked first internally (which I would imagine most state rankers would be, unless the person that beat them is also a state ranker), then your external mark was made the same as your internal mark (assuming you also rank first externally.) Am I mistaken?
True but they take into account other maths courses.

Say A and B both get 97 raw in 4U and are ranked 1st internally. If A gets 70 raw in 3U but B gets like 68 raw, then A ranks above B in the 4U list.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
That's true but you can still state rank without coming first internally. For example, if your external mark was 100 and your internal mark was 99 and the person who ranked first internally dropped ranks dramatically then your final mark of 99.5 could still qualify as a state rank depending on the rest of the cohort.

Also, there are plenty of cases where multiple people from the same school have state ranked.

shervos

HSC
That's true but you can still state rank without coming first internally. For example, if your external mark was 100 and your internal mark was 99 and the person who ranked first internally dropped ranks dramatically then your final mark of 99.5 could still qualify as a state rank depending on the rest of the cohort.

Also, there are plenty of cases where multiple people from the same school have state ranked.
Eg Sydney Grammar in 2013 lol.

relativity1

HSC
Theres a guy in my school (doing hsc now) whose only gotton one question wrong in a 4u/3u test. His raw mark for 4u is 100 and for 3u its 100, he scored 100 in both 4u and 3u trials and this is at a ranked 39 selective school, he also got 100 percentile umat so look out for him on state rankings

braintic

HSC
N/A
Theres a guy in my school (doing hsc now) whose only gotton one question wrong in a 4u/3u test. His raw mark for 4u is 100 and for 3u its 100, he scored 100 in both 4u and 3u trials and this is at a ranked 39 selective school, he also got 100 percentile umat so look out for him on state rankings
So when I look at the state rankings, how will I know if this person is on the list?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)