10 Units or 12? (1 Viewer)

Arceupins

Banned
HSC
Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the disparity between having 10 or 12 units... Do you think it's worth rolling with 10 and studying harder while taking the risk? Or would it be better to try 12 and have a safety net in case you fuck up an exam?

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
I'd say it depends on each person as to whether they feel they can cope with the workload of 12 units or would rather have the time to do 10 units well. I'm doing 10 units this year, I'm sure I could do 12 units if I wanted to, but I like my free periods a lot. :p

posey-rose

The lost member
HSC
i agree with ajdlinux.i did ten units for the hsc because i couldnt stand the subjects that i did, and also because i was doing well in units that i was going to keep. a friend of mine did 12 units because she had to have the 4 subject areas and she wasnt too crash hot at maths.but i had a few friends who ahd the 12 units who dropped down to 10 after a few months, so having 12 units now means you can drop one of those units down the track.i just liked having ten units because i had more time to relax and focus on my ten little units... bonus: one less exam to study for

Venom.

HSC
10 is so much easier - this becomes crystal clear especially around exam time. Do 10, if you're confident with your 10 units. 12 is a waste of time.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Safety net is only useful if you are unsure about some units or are doing equally well in all of them. It really depends on what you are doing and your abilities with them/stress levels/study and organisation habits.

I had 12units in year 11:
*Eng (Adv)
*Maths (2u)
*Legal Studies
*IPT
*French (Cont.)
*Italian (Beg.)

Maths was my worst subject, I hated it and had to study harder than anything else to keep up, in the end it would have been counter productive to keep it. The time I saved was good to give me some time to relax and calm down, plus I could spend more time working on my other subjects and while the french exam was terrible and I did worse than expected I doubt my maths marks would have been better. My school infact encouraged 10u over 12u.

Its up to you but don't hold on to the 2u for the sake of it, unless you REALLY think it will make a difference, or you're doing fanastically in all units and can't chose what to drop why do it, after all you will be competing with those who are only doing 10u.

Best of luck

tku336

HSC
Depends on what ATAR you want, and what subjects you do.As a general rule, the more humanity focused (histories, eco ect) the more you'd tend towards 12 because of the likelihood of messing up an exam (running out of time ect.) compared to phys, maths ect. The higher you want as an ATAR the more it'll come down to very small marks and changes in scaling - so you should probably tend towards 12 as well.

jayaJURASSIC

HSC
Mmm, I think I will stick with 12.
I need to look into the scaling.
I do: English Advanced, Maths General, business studies, legal studies, japanese, drama.

bellyy.loo

HSC
Depends. I use to do 12 but i dropped cos i couldnt hack it T.T

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
I started with 14 units in Year 11, dropped to 11 by Year 12 and I must say it's pretty beneficial. The only downside is if you're not ace at english, then you're basically kissing away goodbye the premier's 10 unit all rounders award.

mazarati

HSC
Looking at your sig...? Do you do 4 unit English?If so, then do 12 units - because its so easy to mess yourself up in this subject. I did 11 units, and I'm glad I had the back up for 4 unit - I ultimately didn't drop 4 unit, but english is so subjective that if my major work isn't too crash hot with the markers, at least the back up is there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)