• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Yr12 Major Work Suggestions (1 Viewer)

SavageExile

HSC
N/A
Hi all, im in yr11 atm and im gonna start my major work soon(bout 1months time)
dunno what im going to do yet, most likely a game and i was wondering which method is better:

1) Doing it in VB which i have advanced knowledge of
or
2) Doing it in C++ which i need to learn, but i heard it is alot more powerful,

which would help me do my major work better/easier?

sunny

meh.
HSC
It depends on what your major project is supposed to do. You don't pick your tool based on what you know or what is more popular, you pick the tool that suits the job.

funniboi

HSC
do your program in VB

i think its better that way since your teacher taught you VB (assuming) and that it's easier for him to mark judging on the skills you already have developed.

and dependin on what you make, i mad a database for a video library, and i got a degree of difficulty of 0.875

my friend who did pacman got 0.95

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
use VB seeing that you are more advanced with it.
you can better manipulated and rectify problems if they occured.

hornetfig

HSC
sunny said:
It depends on what your major project is supposed to do. You don't pick your tool based on what you know or what is more popular, you pick the tool that suits the job.
this is true, but consider -
(1) learning curve
(2) time constraints

in year 12, I would say it is better not to have to be concerned with getting over what may be a steep (even too steep a) learning curve in order to produce something which you don't really want to become solely focussed on

HellVeN

Banned
HSC
Hahaha "advanced knowledge"!
Lol stupid Ivan.

Winston

HSC
yeah perhaps VB is the way to go... i don't quite see why would C++ help you out more, it's powerful in respect to the fact that you have more control over things, for example memory allocation can be handled all upon yourself.

funniboi

HSC
i always thought we had no choice in what we can make it in...
only can do it with the language we learnt. which was vb.

our school comps dont have c++

Winston

HSC
funniboi said:
i always thought we had no choice in what we can make it in...
only can do it with the language we learnt. which was vb.

our school comps dont have c++
really depends on your teacher...

SavageExile

HSC
N/A
HellVeN said:
Hahaha "advanced knowledge"!
Lol stupid Ivan.
wtf u talking bout? of course i have adv knowledge fool =P

Last edited:

funniboi

HSC
So, just out of curiosity, what game are you planning to make ?

HellVeN

Banned
HSC
Pff advanced...you wish..

Anyway, I'm thinking of making some sort of 2D super smash bross clone with my own graphics of course (I'm thinking paper mario style). This would involve heavy graphic programming (collision detection, animations etc...). And if I have time, maybe add online capabilities? Making all the graphics and animations would really be the hard part.

Another idea is a sort of counter strike 2D clone. It would fit in a small window (bit bigger than gba dimensions), with isometric tile style graphics. The main maps and weapons would be replicated. This one would definitely need network capabilities.

Any thoughts / suggestions on my ideas?

DoubleD

....Theonly One
HSC
..MOST of the marks given in programming tasks are more on the help, documentation, planning and everythign else, about 10%(or less) is on teh proramming side, it's better to finish your reports, and documentation in preference to finishing the program itself.
i am only in year 11 right now, however that doesn't change the way marks are given.

My suggestions? don't choose somethign thaqt will take ages to make, but not too simple either, BOS for example suggest a note keeping program somewhere, however incorporate some nifty personalised features into it, like an option to remind u in X amount of minutes/hours/days etc.

And language? well my SDD teacher doens't know any languages at all.. in class discussions he'll glance accross at me for help for an example in many cases... and everyoneelse in tehclass is doing QBasic, VB6(actually the whole VS6 suite), Borland C++, java, pascal, and some other programming languages, in otherwords, we've got it all.. what does everyone choose to do? QBasic! and what a bad language that is to try and work out where the error in the program is. one person scrapped his past weeks of QB work simply because he must've left a if statement open in teh 5 A4 pages of work.. he soon discovered teh use of sub-programs and has now re-made it all from scratch.

My poitns in summary:
Choose something simple, yet ingenious
Put more effort itnothe written side of things
Choose a language your familiar with, and yet is up-to-date enough for everythign to happen easyily for you.
most of all, don't stress about not completing the program.

SavageExile

HSC
N/A
lol jeremy, make a counter strike game, would love to see u do that...
and DoubleD i'd have to say, and im sure jeremy would agree with me, that we prefer to program for the fun of it, and that we dun give a damn about how they are marked. ;)

HellVeN

Banned
HSC
DoubleD I understand what you're saying. But like savage said, we wanna make something that would keep us interested, something that would challenge us and also have a certain "wow" factor to it.

Winston

HSC
Games are like the most overrated and unoriginal idea SDD students do. So far only one member here, who's on my MSN list is making something that's simulataneously appealing and worthwhile, a CVS system.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)