• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Yr11/12 Subject Selection, need advice/insight on subjects (1 Viewer)

Aeyis

HSC
Hi,

Currently picking subjects for Senior years and so far have;

Advanced English
2U Maths
Ext.1 Maths
Chemistry
Physics
Business
Ancient or Economics.

Some reasoning on why I chose such subjects;

1. I find myself to be competent and very articulate in analyzing texts and perform extremely well in English overall (4th/5th over past few years). However I was thinking about doing Standard instead of Advanced as it isn't a pre-requisite for my desired future occupation - Engineering, specifically Civil. Any thoughts or recommendations? Have been reading and seeing posts about doing Advanced anyways as it brings up your ATAR etc. etc.

2. Maths is MY subject, the subject I enjoy, so that's for maths.

3. Really enjoying the current Chemistry topic right now in Science and actually starting to like it more than Physics, I also do quite well in it.

4. Physic; pre-requisite for engineering, enjoy it however since finding out it is not as Maths based and preferring Chemistry as a Science over Physics, I'm starting to doubt this choice.

5. Business; purely because I extremely enjoyed the 'business' side in Commerce, performed extremely well in it so I chose this to have a diverse palette.

6. Ancient or Economics. Now, I am interested in history, more ancient than modern, I like history, and I do extremely well at it overall HOWEVER, with consideration of my other subjects, I feel Ancient history is going to be a bad choice by adding on to my already content heavy combination, thoughts? Also I have interest in Economics but have minimal to zero experience in actually learning the subject, so can anyone give some insight?

Overall I just want some thoughts on my combination, what I should expect and prepare for, especially for my range of subjects, if i have good choices or not and whether I should do Standard or Advanced and Ancient and Eco.

astroman

HSC
Only big difference between english adv and standard is the markers expectations, the difficult of texts is similar. In standard a 14/15 might be a 12/15 for advanced, just markers have lower expectations for standard students.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Aligning (the proportion of people getting a band 5/6) is significantly worse then Advanced.

Definitely do English Advanced!

Aeyis

HSC
Please don't do Standard - many regrets were had by my friends who undertook the course. Besides, you said you're currently doing well in English as you mentioned that you're articulate and can analyse texts. Better yet, why not take English Extension 1? I hear that it doesn't require much work (I could be wrong, however) in comparison to Advanced, which is more demanding from what I've found. But yes, at the very least, please do Advanced, if you're aiming for a 90+ ATAR (trust me with this).

I do Economics for my HSC, so I can impart some insight. Basically it's a mix of content and skill, you must grasp the concepts, and you need to be able to communicate your thoughts in the most clear manner. That is, use the economic terminology, have linking words to ensure everything makes donkey dumb sense. Also, unlike subjects such as Biology, Chemistry and Physics, you can't simply rely on the syllabus itself, you must research further via the internet. This is important as the global economy is inherently in constant change, it is never static - and by having relevant stats to substantiate your essay (and possibly your short answers), it will show your willingness to know the current trends. If you like learning about demand and supply, exchange rates, commodity prices (you'll learn this later on, don't worry), then economics is for you. :D

Good luck!
Thank you ! This relieved me from so much indecisiveness in choosing which English, thank you thank you ! And I think I may take up Economics, gonna do some further research into the subject first. :)

Aligning (the proportion of people getting a band 5/6) is significantly worse then Advanced.

Definitely do English Advanced!
Thank you for clearing up what Aligning is, could you also explain why it happens/how it happens, especially when Advanced is/should be the harder subject?

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
Economics and Business are the best combination.

Trust me, Business Studies and Economics content enhances each other!

Also, a lot of students including me were really good in Year 7 - 10 English Advanced, however English Advanced in Year 11 is REALLY DIFFERENT. So many unknown and related texts. And the standards that teacher have on your writing and analysing suddenly changes, a quick swerve and punch in my face in the first assessment.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)