Yr 9 Selective (1 Viewer)

Zac2609

HSC
What are the best ways to prepare for the yr 9 HAST test for transferring to selective in year 10 as there are not many resources online?

amy2181

HSC
go to examsuccess and take a look at their online courses. theyre pretty helpful

amy2181

HSC
Have you taken the test?
i havent taken the hast test exactly, but last year i did edutest. i didnt do too well on it but based on my mistakes i'd recommend trying to understand the types of questions that will be on the test. hast does have longer test so u do have more time per question, but that may mean that the questions are a little harder

Zac2609

HSC
What types of maths concepts do you think id need to cover for entry to year 10?

amy2181

HSC
What types of maths concepts do you think id need to cover for entry to year 10?
looking at what the hast candidate info pamphlet says, i'd say its basically a numerical reasoning test. they might have questions like magic squares, number patterns, and questions where u have to do a LOT of working out. thats just to name a few, if they have practice tests available try find out what the common patterns are in regards to the types of questions they ask. u can also use websites like psychometricinstitute to practice ur numerical reasoning skills. i think i have more resources, once i find them i'll post them.

Zac2609

HSC
Ok thanks, also do you think trying out for entry to same year level your currently in would be allowed, I’m not 100% sure about doing that but Sydney Boys offers 30 places for year 9 and none for year 10 and I turned 14 this year and I’m in year 9 currently, so it would give me a better chance aswell.

eternallyboreduser

HSC
N/A
Ok thanks, also do you think trying out for entry to same year level your currently in would be allowed, I’m not 100% sure about doing that but Sydney Boys offers 30 places for year 9 and none for year 10 and I turned 14 this year and I’m in year 9 currently, so it would give me a better chance aswell.
Repeating years like that probably won’t be allowed just for the sake of gaining entry.

fart

HSC
N/A
so basically you're in year 9 rn, so u HAVE to apply for year 10, but u said sb doesn't take year 10 enrolments, so you cant apply for year 10 and you'll have to wait until year 11 (next year). Unless you can somehow go back to year 8 or bribe the principals you cannot try out for year 10.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)