Yr 11 3unit = Yr 12 2unit ? (1 Viewer)

frenzal_dude

UTS Student
HSC
N/A
Hi, I just got a job as a maths tutor for a 3unit yr 11 kid.
When you start yr 11 3unit, do you start off with the 2unit stuff that other yr11/12 2unit students do aswell?
And then when you start yr 12 you start doing the 3unit stuff?

Also I have these 2 books, do you guys still use them?:
New Senior Mathematics - Fitzpatrick - 2 unit course for years 11&12
New Senior Mathematics - Fitzpatrick - 3 unit course for years 11&12

What topics have yr 11 3unit students gone through up til now?

Thanks for your help!
frenzal

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
When you start yr 11 3unit, do you start off with the 2unit stuff that other yr11/12 2unit students do aswell?

Thanks for your help!
frenzal
Yeah, you start of with 2unit.

mioumiou

HSC

Thanks for your help!
frenzal
Hey there, I bought these two books for extra questions as well as other textbooks like Cambridge because our school only uses Maths In Focus. For us, (Year 11 3 Unit class) we've nearly finished the algebra section (which is chapter 2 of MIF) and we might start Chapter 3 (Equation) this week. But they're all the revision work from last year though =S

Hope that helps! ;)

frenzal_dude

UTS Student
HSC
N/A
Hey there, I bought these two books for extra questions as well as other textbooks like Cambridge because our school only uses Maths In Focus. For us, (Year 11 3 Unit class) we've nearly finished the algebra section (which is chapter 2 of MIF) and we might start Chapter 3 (Equation) this week. But they're all the revision work from last year though =S

Hope that helps! ;)
Hey Mioumiou,
thanks for the post. So in yr 11 3unit, would you guys be learning everything that yr 11 and yr 12 2units learn? And then you start the 3unit work in yr 12?

mioumiou

HSC
Hey Mioumiou,
thanks for the post. So in yr 11 3unit, would you guys be learning everything that yr 11 and yr 12 2units learn? And then you start the 3unit work in yr 12?
I think we'll be learning the Yr 11 2 unit work but have some more hard and extension topics compares to the 2 Unit stuff. One of my friend accelerated last year for maths, she said that the Yr 11 3 unit stuff is a bit harder than the Year 12 2 unit stuff. But I'm not quite sure about it because firstly, I did not accelerated (=P) secondly, she has learnt her year 11 stuff at the coaching centre while she did the Year 12 2 Unit course at school and obviously their questions will be a little bit harder.

So in yr 11 3unit, would you guys be learning everything that yr 11 and yr 12 2units learn? And then you start the 3unit work in yr 12?
so I think according to you're questions, it's a YES for both. :D

Hope this helps. :D

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
You normally learn the 2 unit and 3 unit material concurrently as you go through each topic. For example, in Year 11 trigonometry there is an extension part which builds on the 2 unit part. Year 11 Ext1 students go through both at the same time, NOT just the 2 unit stuff first then wait until Year 12 to cover the Ext1 material.

Only accelerated 2 unit students go through the entire 2 unit course in Year 11 and do the HSC exam in Year 11, before doing solely 3 unit material in Year 12.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Yeah as the course name suggests, 3U is an "extension" of 2U work.

Eg. In Year 11 trig, 3U students also do 't results' and 'general solutions'.

MetroMattums

HSC
Yeah, except you miss out on Consumer Arithmetic and some elements of Euclidean Geometry.

kathyyy

HSC
You normally learn the 2 unit and 3 unit material concurrently as you go through each topic. For example, in Year 11 trigonometry there is an extension part which builds on the 2 unit part. Year 11 Ext1 students go through both at the same time, NOT just the 2 unit stuff first then wait until Year 12 to cover the Ext1 material.

Only accelerated 2 unit students go through the entire 2 unit course in Year 11 and do the HSC exam in Year 11, before doing solely 3 unit material in Year 12.
yeahh this is the same as what i did in yr 11. with all the 2 unit work in yr 11 and 3 unit in yr 12 usually applies to people who are doing accelerated maths:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)