Yr 10,11 & 12's AND EVERYONE please advise me! (1 Viewer)

bluecrisps

HSC
Hello guys.
Another post with subject selection and I need advice!
So for year 11 & 12 im planning on doing:
3U Maths
3U English
Legal studies

and need help on the other 4 units.
I would like to do Music 1, Drama, Chemistry or Business studies.
I have considered other subjects but the rest are too boring!
What should I do?

Music 1- I have just started learning the guitar (for about 1 term now) and have had no musical experience beforehand. I do not know how to read and draw notes and stuff, but am willing to learn them in my free time.
Drama- I didn't do this, this year, but I would like to do it because it seems fun and interesting, however my acting skills could be epic fail and if I stuff it up then there goes 2 units.
Chemistry- I like the practical stuff and my interest level would be 8/10.
Business studies- Could be useful for the future when I become duh sexay lawyerrr + essays could help for legal studies.
Modern or Ancient history seems interesting but judging from my essay marks I would probably fail. (got 55%)

Note: I would like to do a 'fun' subject (less theory orientated and more practical) but then if I stuff up then that's the end of me so I would probably do better in the academic stuff (ie. Non CAPA subjects). So, I'm stuck. Anyone who's done these subjects for HSC could you tell me what you did in the test and in lessons. Was it hard, fun?
ETC. THX.

Last edited:

bluecrisps

HSC
pls disregard my sig. they were going to be my choice but now after the subject market i've changed my mind.

Last edited:

marshmallow23

HSC
N/A
Do Business Studies! I'd really recommend it. It's not a difficult subject. As a matter of fact, it's a fairly straightforward subject. You just need to memorise all the content and follow the syllabus. I can't stress to you enough that for Business Studies, you absolutely NEED to follow the syllabus to do well. It's makes your whole life easier in the subject. I think the only problem with the subject is that there is HEAPS of content but if you can memorise things well, it shouldn't be too hard. I'm still in Prelim, but my teacher basically teaches from the textbook, she gives us worksheets and shows us power points and stuff. The tests we get are fairly simple but you need to know your content well. It's not like legal studies, where in legal, you have to argue/debate/discuss your point and evaluate the effectiveness of the law. Here in Business, you just gotta know your content, the syllabus and you're fine. I find it fun but it all comes down to personal opinion. Some people don't like the subject, others do. I like it because I find that it will be relevant for me because I want to enter a career in the business field and the subject itself isn't too difficult. Hopefully that helped and feel free to ask me anymore questions! :)

madharris

HSC
N/A
If you're interested in chem then you should do it. I find it interesting which allows me to want to work in it.

As for music, i don't recommend you do it, especially if you've only done it for a term. For music 1 there's ~4000 students who do it each year. Most of them have learnt their instruments for at least 2 years and many of them even more. Furthermore, music is non just performance; it's performance, theory and composition which you will have to do in year 11 and 12 all of which you have never done before (except for a few weeks of guitar). Even if you are willing to work, you will detriment other subjects by practicing, learning how to read notes, learning how to analyse pieces and the other theory things you have to do. If you want to improve your guitar skills, I don't recommend doing music, I would do it for fun in your spare time to relieve yourself form the stress of the hsc.

I can't say anything about the other subjects you want to do as I don't do them. I suggest you speak to your career advisor/ someone similar.

Good luck'

EDIT: Music 1 also doesn't scale well so if you don't do well it will pull down your star (however don't let this get in the way of choosing your other subjects, just music because it's a hard subject to understand and grasp if you haven't done it before)

Last edited:

russ3l

HSC
Hey! :)

I recommend you take on chemistry and business studies and leave both music and drama for your free time. Reading, playing and writing notes in Music is assumed knowledge (regardless if its music 1 or 2) so unless you want to add more stress to your agenda, i suggest not to do it. :)

oh and on the other hand, chemistry and business will open up a lot of doors for your future in terms of your career so it truly is, in my opinion, the best option!

p.s. there is simply no 'fun subject' as all of the subjects your choosing should be enjoyable.
good luck!

HSC
judging by what has been said so far, chemistry and business studies seem to be the best two subjects to pick out of that selection.

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
judging by what has been said so far, chemistry and business studies seem to be the best two subjects to pick out of that selection.
The person seems quite inclined towards chemistry based on the first post itself.

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
Music isn't a bad option. Yes you've never done the stuff before but it certainly isn't hard, nor is there a lot of stuff to learn. It's fun and if you really want to learn then you will learn.

SunnyScience

HSC
DO NOT DO MUSIC. That was the first thing I dropped - casually playing the piano for 5 years and being able to read, write and analyse music, yet I still don't think I would have gotten good marks in it if I had chosen it. As for the rest, do Ancient, Business and Chemistry - because i said so. Though, I probably shouldn't recommend Ancient if you are bad at essay writing, considering it will require a crap load of writing.

Don't do drama.

bluecrisps

HSC
Thanks for all your comments. They're all very helpful (especially marshmallaw's and madharris' )and has helped me choose Business studies as it looks like my best option but I'm still stuck for one more. I wish i could do them all x_x'

bluecrisps

HSC
Is Drama and Music really that bad?? :O

DO NOT DO MUSIC. That was the first thing I dropped - casually playing the piano for 5 years and being able to read, write and analyse music, yet I still don't think I would have gotten good marks in it if I had chosen it. As for the rest, do Ancient, Business and Chemistry - because i said so. Though, I probably shouldn't recommend Ancient if you are bad at essay writing, considering it will require a crap load of writing.

Don't do drama.

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC

Don't do drama.
A good mark in Music requires effort - just like any other subject. If you're willing to understand the theory required, and practice your pieces then you can get a good mark - I think it's stupid just to make a blanket statement saying not to do it.

russ3l

HSC
Thanks for all your comments. They're all very helpful (especially marshmallaw's and madharris' )and has helped me choose Business studies as it looks like my best option but I'm still stuck for one more. I wish i could do them all x_x'
how about you consider economics instead of business studies? the post before has stated that business is a boring subject - and scales average. So wouldn't you want to do a subject that: 1) requires essays (just like business and legal), 2) scales substantially better than business and 3)may possibly open up more doors for your future?

bluecrisps

HSC
Hmm, but what if economics is as boring as business studies -_-. Hmm, dammit why's choosing the rest so hard!!

SunnyScience

HSC
A good mark in Music requires effort - just like any other subject. If you're willing to understand the theory required, and practice your pieces then you can get a good mark - I think it's stupid just to make a blanket statement saying not to do it.
He did ask for our opinions. I'm just saying - if you're picking an interment up in the last couple of months, I would personally suggest learning it as extra circ. and not doing it part of your HSC. Don't get me wrong - do music if you want to and are willing to work very hard at to get up to scratch with those who have potentially been doing it their whole life.

Also, though what defines a "good mark" is somewhat different from student to student, comparatively (for me), the work required to achieve this standard of a mark in this particular subject would have been detrimental to my other subjects.

SunnyScience

HSC
1. What are your interests?
2. What do you think you will be good at?
3. What do you plan to do at university(?)/profession?
4. How much does scaling matter to you?
5. What are you willing to work hard at?

Last edited:

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Business Studies and Chem seem like the best pick for you imho.

You have the 8 ones you were definitely wanted, then decided on business so why not chem for last two? You are doing MX1 so the calculations will breeze, you have an 8/10 interest and to top it off it's a good scaler :) Some of the Yr 12 chem pracs are really fun, like titration and esterification.

mita12

HSC
N/A
i know this has nothing to do with your question but how to do post things like to ask questions and stuff like what u did? Does anyone know?:)

SunnyScience

HSC
In the section of the forum that you want to post in, at the top, click "create new thread" or something along those lines.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)