Youth Allowance (1 Viewer)

Generator

HSC
N/A
roger321 said:
i dont get it... why is everyone wh inging about the high costs of uni?
with hecs its not like you have to pay everything upfront so there goes most of the finicial burden.

so really all there is textbooks and travel?
The costs are still quite high for those who live at home... Travel costs, textbooks and subscription fees are far from being loose change concerns.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
hmm...expenses this semester

$182 general service charge
$120 parking (well, thats for the entire yr, but I need to pay it now)
~$800 textbooks (yes, you read right)
~$40/week petrol (thankfully the parentals pay)
11c/page photocopying/printing
$30 stationary
$20 co-op bookshop membership (grr, why doesn't the UCB on campus have my books?!)

+ many more

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
uni has cost me personally so far
$590 compulsory subscriptions
$210 physics bridging course
$800 total
i havent bought my txt books yet
i know one cost 270 and annother 117 for 2 subjects. i'm sure theres more i iwll have to get the list on monday
so yeah uni costs alot to start even without the hecs bit

waddle_828

*waves*
HSC
Katie123 said:
grrr i hate when people grizzle that they dont get youth allowance and their parents own over the thresh hold. GET OVER IT. you are obviously a lot more well off than the people who get it + therefore ur parents can afford it. y should the gov pay for u.... I understand if parents are not working for preventable reasons then they should be made to work but as for the rest with other circumstances. U people should try and live a week in their shoes and see what its like.
it just annoys me a lot.
thats a bit of a generalisation

my stepfather is a self employed truck driver and he does earn over the threshold,
but every single penny of that goes on bills and tax. Its really hard when every week we live from day to day, sometimes not having enough money for the basics, yet we get no government assistance since my stepdads taxable income is over the threshold.

under no way will they be able to support me through uni, especially if i have to go to a uni far away and live on campus, and i even with a job its going to be hard, especially considering how much text books costs and other living costs..

i do agree assessing each situation seperately, but something a bit fairer than a means test needs to be implemented

moose87

"iwnf"
HSC
roger321 said:
i dont get it... why is everyone wh inging about the high costs of uni?
with hecs its not like you have to pay everything upfront so there goes most of the finicial burden.

so really all there is textbooks and travel?
DO YOU GO TO UNI!!!!??? ur insane if u think that hecs covers everything...
as a couple of others have pointed out there is far more to uni costs than jus hecs...
*college fees
*food n drink (im in a catered college but dinning hall isnt open all the time...)
*fuel
*social money - which for end of semester has been $0.00...

and this may be a bit too much information but consider 'girl needs' and other things taht everyone needs - shampoo, deodnt., etc...

there are many many things ppl dont consider when making claims like urs...

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
Katie123 said:
grrr i hate when people grizzle that they dont get youth allowance and their parents own over the thresh hold. GET OVER IT. you are obviously a lot more well off than the people who get it + therefore ur parents can afford it. y should the gov pay for u.... I understand if parents are not working for preventable reasons then they should be made to work but as for the rest with other circumstances. U people should try and live a week in their shoes and see what its like.
it just annoys me a lot.
Just because one's parents earn over the threshold, you think they can just get an endless supply of money from their parents? Doesn't work like that. Anyway, $30k or whatever it is, is a pissful amount and they are really stingy making the threshold so low

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
natstar said:
these girls needs and shampoo and deoderant, have nothing to do with uni. You need them regardless for personal hygine.
Hahah exactly, I don't know why those things were brought up. Plus the fact that GUYS need shampoo and deodorant as well (except the dirty ones who never shower)

moose87

"iwnf"
HSC
natstar said:
these girls needs and shampoo and deoderant, have nothing to do with uni. You need them regardless for personal hygine.
they have everything to do with moving out of home...u summed it up urself - ppl need them regardless...its jus another cos that some people dont consider - thats all i was saying...

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
why is it that this happens everytime someone asks about youth allowance? havent we already determined that

* A lot of ppl who dont deserve youth allowance get it

* A lot of ppl who do deserve youth allowance dont get it

* it is stupid that you have to struggle on your own and work your arse off before becoming "independant"

* the cost of living, especially in Sydney is high, and the income cutoff is low, especially for families with single parents and multiple children.

* The system is mightily flawed but its the best we've got, so you just have to work around it

* A lot of ppl abuse the system and use youth allowance as an excuse not to work

* Some ppl can handle the stress of uni much more than others and can cope with a job aswell, others cant. ( and yes some ppl are just lazy....)

* Living away from home while studying and supporting yourself sux and is hard and cheers to all who are doing it.

* Everyone needs shampoo and deoderant. (Except the smelly dirty ppl)

is that it? does that make everyone happy?

and btw - Grr to centrlink for not letting me report my income a day early, and wasting their money sending me a "your youth allowance has been cancelled letter for failing to report your income" letter when i tried to report. Bastards.

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
oh and by the way to the person who said uni doesnt cost much.... my textbooks alone this semester cost me over $1000 and i got half of the second hand. I also have to buy disection kits, scalpel blades, lab coats (yes, 2 of them) along with all the normal stationary etc. My train costs $20 a week and the bus about the same on top of that.

And, in my holidays, i have to fund myself to go do work experience, a cost that includes travelling there (to random country towns) paying for accomodation (in addition to my accomodation in Sydney) and food, overalls, boots, gumboots, etc etc etc. HECS covers none of that. AND i pay the highest HECS band too. I will be over $40,000 in debt by the time i finish, and thats more than my yearly salary will be!

Maybe you dont have those expenses, but many people, especially health science and agriculture type ppl who have to do work experience IN THEIR HOLIDAYS!!!! do. So keep that in mind as you eat your vegies and wheat and lamb and beef and chicken and utilise health care services and talk about how uni doesnt cost much!

moose87

"iwnf"
HSC
natstar said:
You never said anything about you living out of home, thats why i said that. If you live at home you can rely on ur parents to buy that for you. I know when i moved out of home i stocked up on shampoo and things like that, while i still could afford to buy it
my bad...i just assumed i was obvious - seems not...
all we can do is stock up which does work...

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
Mambomeg said:
* A lot of ppl who dont deserve youth allowance get it

QUOTE]

hmmm i'm not sure about the use of the word "deserve"... i mean the government is giving ppl YA because they are studying and getting a degree - meaning they pay the $$ now and us kids aren't going on the dole for who knows how long in the future..

but i guess there are some people that don't need YA that still get it... i go to college and use my YA to pay my parents back for college fees, but there are some ppl who's parents pay for their college fees - leaving them $420 a fortnight to spend on grog and cigarettes... these are the only people who really get youth allowance and don't need it... but wether you say they don't deserve it is a different matter

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Examples of a person who doesn't need it;

-Girl whose parents paid her to go on a European holiday for a year and then when she came back she was eligible. She spents her YA solely on clothes and shoes while her loaded parents pay all her uni fees. She also drives a really expensive car.

There are people who get it and don't deserve it through the independence loophole thing, but I think you would never be able to fix the system entirely to avoid situations like that.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
The only person I feel sorry for who posted here is golfstick. Anyone who can't afford to go to university without their youth allowance should have worked after their HSC and deferred for a year, so that they can get the independant rate, said work will also cash you up for textbooks and the like.

Generator

HSC
N/A
I'm something like $350 short of the current amount required to be independent (an amount that is likely to be raised in the near future). Bastards. Oh well, I don't exactly need the allowance, even though receiving it would make life much easier towards the end of the academic year.

moose87

"iwnf"
HSC
neo_o said:
The only person I feel sorry for who posted here is golfstick. Anyone who can't afford to go to university without their youth allowance should have worked after their HSC and deferred for a year, so that they can get the independant rate, said work will also cash you up for textbooks and the like.
fair point except ur missing another point...
wat about those ppl who have no other choice but to go staight to uni...i couldnt defer my accom place and its a big risk saying no to a college when the next year i could miss out all together...
its not the best idea for some ppl to straight out defer...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)