youth allowance (1 Viewer)

kayla220

HSC
okay so this question does not directly refer to university but people here are around the same age as me so I thought they may know.

I am in my first year of university and had to move out of home to live on campus as the university is 8 hours away.
1.I am 18 will be 19 in a month
2. my dad earns approx one hundred thousand and my mum approx twenty five thousand.
3. I also have a twin brother but he lives at home.
4. I do not have a job and my parents have paid for my first year at uni
next year they are not willing to pay

I am wondering if I can claim youth allowance in any way
even if i get a part time job it will not be sufficent for my living expenses

Bendent

HSC
they wont take u seriously by default unless ur in really poor situation lmao

izzy88

HSC
You probably do not qualify as independent (too young, haven't worked full time for 18 months over two years, not married, don't come from a violent family etc), so you would only qualify for youth allowance as a dependent. Living far away does not classify you as independent.

As a dependent, this means that your parents income and assets are taken into account - i don't know the exact calculation for youth allowance and parent's assets and when they still pay - your best bet would be to call centrelink and ask. I think it would be unlikely because of your father's salary (it would depend on their assets as well ie. do they own a house etc), but i may be wrong.

At this stage, you may just have to go find a job - if you can find a summer job as well you could earn quite a bit over summer and save for next year. If you live on campus, you may be able to go for a scholarship if you are at a college which could help with costs. A lot of students work and support themselves (without parents or youth allowance) - its manageable(ish) (obviously depends on job, uni degree workload, rent, what your expenses are - but sometimes you just have to cut down on the fun stuff).

o_0

HSC
maybe you can apply for a loan?
your uni should have a few scholarships or programs to help people in need, just apply for everything!
goodluck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)