• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Youth Allowance - Everyone Read (1 Viewer)

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
are you aware that we can get youth allowance? and that we have been able to get it for a couple of months now. this is a victoria link, but read it

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/intern...69890008040e/7cd9d1c47d3bcc55ca256c74007eb457!OpenDocument

also, go to centrelink
http://www.centrelink.gov.au/

click search
http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/search/index.htm
and search "youth allowance"

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/intern...archFuzzy=TRUE&SearchWV=TRUE&Start=1&Count=20

have a look, you may be eligible. students who are unemployed are! and even some with emplyoment!

adsta

HSC
Am I missing something? It looks exactly the same as it was a year ago.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by adsta
Am I missing something? It looks exactly the same as it was a year ago.
no probably not, i didn't know it existed a year ago

is there a limit the parents salary must be under? someone just told me about it, and i was underthe impression parents had nothing to do with it.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Originally posted by iambored

is there a limit the parents salary must be under? someone just told me about it, and i was underthe impression parents had nothing to do with it.
Of course its means tested! The only way they wouldn't look at your parents income is if you are independent (that is, not living at home and not being financially supported by your family).

Trust me, they don't just hand out money to ppl who don't need it...

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
From the same site:

Your payment and the amount you are paid can be affected by things including:

Income;
Assets;
whether you provide Centrelink with information such as Proof of Identity and your Tax File Number;
whether you are a member of a couple;
how many dependent children you have;
whether your Circumstances Change while you are getting a payment;
how much rent you pay and who you pay it to;
your age;
whether you live away from home;
if you live in a remote area;
when you arrived in Australia (newly arrived residents waiting period);
whether you are paid under an international social security agreement;
any maintenance and child support you, your partner or your children receive;
any compensation payments you or your partner receive;
whether you need to Pay Tax on Your Payment from Centrelink;
your parents' income and assets (in some cases);
if you go on holiday or move permanently Overseas;
if you go to gaol; and
whether you have a telephone.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
oh ok! hmm... interesting.
well, yeah i can't really comment. i will go and see if i can find what else it says about it

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/payments/parent_income_iat.htm

here's a link, i don't know if it's for youth allowance. i think it is.

edit: it also says this:

When am I Considered Independent for Youth Allowance Purposes?
If you apply for Youth Allowance, you will be assessed to see if you are considered independent or not. You only need to meet one of the critieria below to be considered independent.

If you are considered independent, parental income and a family actual means test will not be taken into account when working out how much you get paid. If you are considered dependent, a Parental Income Test and a Family Actual Means Test will be taken into account when working out how much you get paid.

You are considered independent if you are aged 16 or over and :

have been out of school at least 18 months and earned at least $15 990 in an 18 month period before lodging a claim (this amount is 75 per cent of the Commonwealth Training Wage); or
have worked to support yourself for at least 18 months, working full-time at least 30 hours a week during the preceding two years (or for a period or periods of 12 months if you are considered disadvantaged); or
have worked part-time for at least 15 hours a week for at least two years since last leaving school; or
are 25 or more and a full-time student (in special circumstances).
You are also considered independent if you are aged 15-24 and :

are above school leaving age in your state or territory; and
are a refugee, an orphan or it is unreasonable for you to live at home; or
are in state care, or only stopped being in state care because of your age;
have, or have had a dependent child;
are or have been, married , including living in a marriage-like relationship for 12 months or more, or six months (in special circumstances);
have parents who cannot exercise their responsibilities.
To qualify as independent on the grounds that you have been in a de facto or marriage-like relationship for at least 12 months, the 12 months must have been while you were over the age of consent in the state or territory you live in.

Last edited:

inasero

Reborn
HSC
ok say im going to live interstate away from parents while studying full time, would i qualify for youth allowance even thought they are in the middle income bracket?

someone pls help, i cant find this information, too much bs to wade thru on the site

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Wilson, you may be eligible for Youth Allowance, but can't find out unless you ask them for the appropriate forms. Your parents will have to fill out an income assessment (similar to a tax return actually) and if either is self-employed (ie contractor, own business etc) then you will also need to meet a "Family Actual Means Test". I just went to ask about it today, and they were very informative.

The site is stupid because it gives a general description of all the rules but doesn't make anything clear. If you call them, or go to Centrelink and speak to an actual person they will be able to help you.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Originally posted by inasero
ok say im going to live interstate away from parents while studying full time, would i qualify for youth allowance even thought they are in the middle income bracket?
Are your parents paying for your rent, living expenses or education? If you are recieving any money from them, then no.

Ribbon

natstar and inasero, I would consider your travel times to be a reason why it is 'unreasonable for you to live at home'

natstar you don't qualify on the amount you have earned because you havn't been out of school for at least 18months.

as far as the money your parents give you goes... you are supposed to claim it on a fortnightly form they give you about earnings, and past $236 a fortnight they take 50c out of your payment for each dollar you earn. BUT you don't really have to because there is no way centrelink will ever find out. Having said that, I wouldn't bother claiming the odd $20 they give you here and there but if your parents are paying your rent and living expenses, you shouldn't be getting youth allowence at all...

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Originally posted by Ribbon

as far as the money your parents give you goes... you are supposed to claim it on a fortnightly form they give you about earnings, and past $236 a fortnight they take 50c out of your payment for each dollar you earn. BUT you don't really have to because there is no way centrelink will ever find out.
Hmmm purgery....lying to a government organisation. Its a federal offence. Also, they have their ways of finding out (they can look at your income and spending and then connect the dots--you've gotta be getting the extra money from somewhere!) and when they do you are made to pay the money back.

Ribbon

Originally posted by Ms 12
Hmmm purgery....lying to a government organisation. Its a federal offence. Also, they have their ways of finding out (they can look at your income and spending and then connect the dots--you've gotta be getting the extra money from somewhere!) and when they do you are made to pay the money back.
Lol... They can't look at your income and spending. AS far as I know they cannot even look at your tax records, and can only see your bank statements if you show them to them (I can't remember the situation, but you have to do this for some payment or another)
Thier not going to get the detectives out over $20 or so... if you were getting everything paid by your parents, and someone dobbed you in, they might ask to see a bank statements, to see if they were regularly dd money into your account, or if you were paying rent with eftpos ect. IF your parents gave you money and you were the kindof person who withdrew all thier money and just spend cash for the fortnight they would not be able to catch you out.
Having said that, I do not condone ripping the government off, there are far too many people doing that and selfishly using resouces that would be better spent elsewhere. But come on... if someone got taken to court for purgery the benifit of which was then getting an extra $20 off mum and dad once a month.... the magistrate would just laugh!

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
If you are suspected of defrauding the government they can audit you, or request the ATO do so. Centrelink is backed up by some powerful legislation, since they do get plenty of bogans trying to claim more than they are entitled to.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i don;t get it though. apparently if parents charge you board, you can get the allowance? it doesn't make sense, because how do they know if your parents are charging you?
i woudn't do it, but it just doesn't make sense. on the other hand it doesn't make sense they would not give money to those who are charged board as they obviouslly need it

Generator

HSC
N/A
If you are suspected of defrauding the government they can audit you, or request the ATO do so. Centrelink is backed up by some powerful legislation, since they do get plenty of bogans trying to claim more than they are entitled to.
'Bogans' aren't the only people that try this, Lexicographer (unless you meant to label every welfare cheat as a bogan).

David27

You'd probably make more begging on the streets than what you'll get wit the youth allowance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)