Youth allowance etc - all the different schemes out there available to us.. (1 Viewer)

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
with the 90 mins thing... it has to be 90 minutes on a train or bus according to the timetable.
Centrelink doesn't care that the trains dont run on time, or that its 25 min walk from the station to your classes, or that it takes 30 mins in peak hour traffic to get to the station in the first place.

So even though it can take you a ridiculous amount of time to get to uni, centrelink wont accept it if you live in Liverpool, or Hornsby, or anywhere like that.

You're better off going to like, Ourimbah campus, you'd get there faster from western Sydney than going into the city.

oh - and you can earn $230 per fornight before it affects your payments. Income includes any savings you have (e.g. if you have saved up $1000 for textbooks etc, centrelink deducts money from your payments because they consider that an "investment"), any Scholarships (Except the new government ones, but many institutional Equity scholarships still count as income for centrelink purposes, but not for tax), and you are supposed to tell them about any other money you get, like $10 in a birthday card, but as if you would. Keep all cash in hand jobs quiet!

Last edited:

Datto120

HSC
You have to be ELIGABLE for youth allowence to get the living out of home increase with the 90 min travel criteria. You cant just apply for the increase because you travel over 90 minutes so you moved out. You first need to be recieving youth allowence.

Centrelink told me it includes waiting times but maybe thats just if you have to wait say 20 mins between bus's or bus and train etc.

kitkatkittyau

HSC
That not what I got told today by centrelink. Apparently if you have to tavel over 90 minutes you may be considered for the independent rate. I can not get youth allowance but I still maybe considered for the independent rate due to the fact I will have to travel over three hours to get to uni.

mcs

HSC
kitkatkittyau said:
That not what I got told today by centrelink. Apparently if you have to tavel over 90 minutes you may be considered for the independent rate. I can not get youth allowance but I still maybe considered for the independent rate due to the fact I will have to travel over three hours to get to uni.
I dont know which idiot at Centrelink told you that but its rubbish. The independent rate is Youth Allowance... eg there are two types Youth allowance for those that are dependent and Youth Allowance for those that are independent. If you cant get one you aint going to get the other! I wish you could though, cause a Bus/Train trip from my parents place to uni while only 3 hours in the car is about 8 via bus or train cause you have to go via sydney :)

Rax

Custom Me up Scotty
HSC
Yeah, for a lot of you by the sound of it you need to go into centrelink and talk to the people, you cant get your money if you dont get the forms for one. And there is always the chance you may get someone that doenst know what they are talking about but you can always go back later lol

I went in a few weeks ago and the centrelink person printed out the table they use for assessing how much people already on youth allowance recieve depending if they work or not. *goes and finds the sheets*

In Short, for 1 jan to 19 march 2007

You can earn up to 236.00 per fornight before it affects your living away from home allowance (of 348.10 pf)

Depending on how much you earn your payment is reduced

330.00 earnt per fortnight 299.70 of youth allowance

425.00 earnt results in 242.70

even at 600.00 earnt a fortnight you still recieve 137.70 of your youth allowance

At 829.50 earnt per fortnight you recieve NIL from centrelink, so thats that eh

But like I said before, sometimes the people arent sure how everything works. I asked the centrelink staff member how will recieving a commonwealth accomodation scholarship affect my payment, but she had no idea lol so she gave me this card with numbers to call which cater for certain demographics

I calling it tommorrow lol

Seeyas

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)