buddys

HSC
Hi guys

I need to choose one unit from
-SOC175
-POL167
-DEM127
for this semester.

Seeing as the handbook makes all the units sound good, i was wondering if any of you have done these and your thoughts.

Thanks!!!

Last edited:

Kegs

HSC
I havent done any, but I recommend you do DEM, cause I dont know anyone who has done it and I want to know what it is like. Let me know what it is like. Please...

mserica

HSC
I have done SOC175 it was fairly easy!! The final exam was easy as well!

Not to sure about the others, i havent done them!

buddys

HSC
thanks guys

and another question that may seem really stupid ... but can you do 200 level units before you finish all your 100 level units - as in doing two 100 level units and a 200 level unit in one semester and doing a 100 level unit with 200 level units the semester after :confused:

pb

Inside The Hollow
HSC
yup as long as the 100 level one isnt a prereq for the 200level one

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
I did DEM127. It is a good easy subject. If you are slightly mathematically inclined (I'm thinking BAND 5/6+ in 2u), you won't have any problems with the quantitative stuff. If you are good at making smart notes (succinct and well planned) and are then able to memorise them, you'll do well for the qualitative portion. And then, you HD the subject. :)

buddys

HSC
thanks guys
Im prob leaning towards soc but there is a prob with the timetable - i cant make one of the lectures. Is soc175 definately on iLectures?

kunny funt

Large Member
HSC
redruM said:
If you are good at making smart notes (succinct and well planned) and are then able to memorise them, you'll do well for the qualitative portion. And then, you HD the subject. :)
when you say make notes, do u mean from the written material or from lectures. coz if i do this as a 4th subject this sem, im not going to go to lecs. also, are tutes compulsory/useful?

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
kunny funt said:
when you say make notes, do u mean from the written material or from lectures. coz if i do this as a 4th subject this sem, im not going to go to lecs. also, are tutes compulsory/useful?
Mate, you do NOT need to worry about the mathematical side of this subject at all. The harder stuff is basically lifetables - reconstructing them/filling in the blanks.

As for the notes, I think the lecture notes are enough for a decent mark. I can't be bothered going into detail, but the notemaking is pretty straight forward off the lecture slides. You just need to make sure you understand the difference between, say Trend in fertility in Australia and Fertility in Australia (Once again, I can't be bothered going into detail, but you'll see what I mean when you do it). I never went to lectures, so can't comment on their usefullness. And I'm 95% confident that tutes are compulsory.

Also, there are some very nice non-accounting/actuarial ladies. :cool:

buddys

HSC
Thanks heaps guys

Sorry to disappoint Kegs and withaface (is that miss gtr???) but im going to go with SOC175 :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)