Your thoughts on IP (1 Viewer)

Pecka

HSC
Hey guys.

I'm just starting year 12 and can't decide on what IP to do. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on what they did? Positives, negatives, what you'd change now you've done it?

Or if anyone is in the same position as me (that being just starting year 12) what are you going to do and why?

I'm thinking of thearte criticism but feel it might be too hard?

Thanks!

Bec.. xox

jaihson

HSC
Definately play to your strengths this year!! I did performance and dont regret a thing because it was the option i thought i was best at and enjoyed the most. For example, you wouldnt pick lighting design unless you had a fair idea about it, or had access to people who could teach you the specifics. You also dont want to get 6 months into it and decide you really want to do something else.

The benefit of a submitted project is that you can have it finished, tied up in a bundle and stuck away in ur cupboard at the end of term 1 if you really wanted to (although most people work on it right til the end). If your assessment tasks are based on the progress of your IP, the submitted ones can also be an advantage. I know in our school, a girl last year had her costume design at 30/30 standard quite early, and just re-submitted it for every progress assessment without having to think or worry about it. With a Performance you still could have it finished quite early, but would certainly need to keep it on the boil to maintain it til the next assessment and the final exam day.

But I would advise you to spend the next couple of weeks thinking about it, maybe even have a chat to your teacher about which project would be best for you.

Good luck with it all tho! And make sure you enjoy whatever project you work on. You can't fake passion.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
choose your IP right now!

choose your groups right now!

keep steadily working on it, little bit at a time.

if your doing performance, dont do rape, abortion, incest, etc. high anguish on stage is not a substitute for quality.

make sure you use your voice in many different ways. dont just yell, dont just whisper. you're selling yourself, you have to show your talent in many different ways.

dont over rehearse to the point of boredom. if you find yourself bored, try it in an entertaining way, like as a melodrama or a musical...

have FUN! its the absolute most fun subject in the HSC. dont forget that...

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
AlleyCat said:
choose your IP right now!

choose your groups right now!

keep steadily working on it, little bit at a time.

if your doing performance, dont do rape, abortion, incest, etc. high anguish on stage is not a substitute for quality.

make sure you use your voice in many different ways. dont just yell, dont just whisper. you're selling yourself, you have to show your talent in many different ways.

dont over rehearse to the point of boredom. if you find yourself bored, try it in an entertaining way, like as a melodrama or a musical...

have FUN! its the absolute most fun subject in the HSC. dont forget that...
great advice, thanks :D :D

i agree with jaison - play to your strengths and pick something you know you're gonna enjoy - we've gotta be able to stick with it to the end :) im doing performance, basically because i cant see myself doing anything else and i've been waiting to be able to get in there and do this since yr 11. plus it will be loads of fun. just choose what you like most and think you could do best at. good luck and good luck to everyone who's just starting on their IPs as well - let's make this year's drama the one to remember :)

courtnez

Now, what I want is Facts
HSC
Just like everyone else has said - play to your strengths. This time last year I was debating between Poster/Promotions (because I like photoshop), Performance (because that's always fun) and the ARP (because I like research and writing). In the end I realised that I get too stressed with performance, and that after reading the set plays while considering for poster nothing was really jumping out at me that the ARP was the way to go.

I'm not sure about the other critical/writing drama options, but I know that the ARP has a very small candidature and that it's highly competitive, judging from the previous years' uneven bell curve re: grades. They've always been intensive and high quality because it's so open ended - so you have to find a hypothesis and overall project that 1) you enjoy studying and 2) will help you to stand out. Primary sources are always great. Like, really really great. If you're really interested in pursuing the ARP (I'll always recommend it), feel free to PM me or email me - mine's going to be in OnStage, so I think I might have a few tips up my sleeve - ESPECIALLY if you were in the same boat as me, where nobody else you know's doing it and you have to figure out everything on your own. So annoying, but I guess rewarding in its own right... :)

Anyway, pick something you know you'll enjoy. There isn't any IP option that's "less work" than any of the others - they're all taxing. The most important thing is that you have to strive to make sure that you don't end up hating it early on in the game :)

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
i am very jealous of you courtnez. just thought id tell you that :D
make sure you let us know which one is yours so we can look out for it at onstage.

niteshade1312

HSC
I did theatre criticism, and although writing isn't something I'm fantastic at, I absolutely love seeing plays and have very easy access to seeing them. I probabaly saw about 10 plays before I chose which ones to write about, so it was incredibly worthwhile for me. I also have strong design skills and so I used them when designing the layouts for my reviews.

You should work towards yours strengths and at the same time, do something that might challenge you because it forces you to continue to think on your toes. If I had chosen performance, it may have been the easier option, but I was dying to write!

Someone mentioned to choose groups NOW, and I think that it a horrible thing. My school only chose groups in Term 1 and that was major dilemma on its own, so many people were hurt, and I couldn't think of a more horrible thing, having to endure from Term 4 disappointment, if you are in a bad group. Just a personal opinion!

tako

tako one adlay.
HSC
I have no clue what I should be writing for my IP Skills Analysis essay...

:S

Gah.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)