Your opinion on 'night before study' (1 Viewer)

HSC
What do you guys reckon night before study is beneficial at all if you've studied for a subject for ages? I've been doing chemistry for at least since late aug/early sep and I am in fear now if i study tonight that ill exaust myself for tommorow for SDD/Chem on the same day?

Do you guys think it'd make a massive difference? all I'll be doing is going over my notes and reading the book maybe doing few questions

shortygb

BOSer #13412
HSC
its good to do some the night before just ot refresh your memory, as long as you prepared before and dont do too much in one night (like up unitl the early hours of the morning) it should be ok.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
My opinion would be that it depends on your current knowledge of the course.

If you only started studying a few nights before, pulling off an all nighter and doing the exam in the morning should be more beneficial. However, if it was an afternoon exam, definitely get some sleep and wake up early to study more.

Otherwise, I highly wouldn't recommend doing an all nighter if you are prepared. A lot of students tend to under-estimate their knowledge. When the exam is nearing closer, you tend to re-evalute yourself and make yourself believe that you are not ready for the exam, when in fact you are probably as ready as you will ever be.

If you are able to take this into account, you'd feel more confident when walking into the exam.

I say this based on my unusual ability to cram. Just my opinion. :)

al_x

short*
HSC
casmira, pretty sure that since you have been studying for that long now that cramming tonight will probably stress you out more than help. you wont learn anything and itll just make u tired. i recommend a good nights sleep, or watch tv or something. cramming the night before is only beneficial if u think ur going to learn something

bitchgirl

University Life
HSC
i sometimes do a night before study but i do it just to refresh what i study before so it can keep fresh in my mind

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Well, I didn't study for Ancient History at all in the week leading up to it (I've been obsessed with physics lately) and strangely enough today I remembered everything quite well (I'd been studying it reguarly since the trial, though).

I'm just hoping the same thing happens tomorrow with chemistry. Although, that's a bit different, really. I think if it's a memorising subject like history or english, if you've been studying reguarly all year it'll all be in the back of your mind and you should be able to force it out on exam day even if you haven't studied for a while.

On the other hand, stuff like chem/maths that requires thinking does need to be studied leading up to the exam, because if you're all 'rusty' then you're likely to make mistakes.

meLoncoLLie

adores corgis
HSC
I think you'd need a good night's rest because you have 2 exams tomorrow.

I, on the other hand, am going to cram until I pass out. Then wake up at 8:15 to go to school and sit the exam :p

elisabeth

HSC
Don't stay up too late, but get up early, do whatever wakes you up, big brekkie and maybe a casual read over your brief summaries. Do night before revision if you like, but ONLY revising stuff you know, don't try and cram since you've been studying consistently. Then do something to relax, cause you seem a bit worried about the double exam. Good luck!

shaz_rusty

Cramming the night before always works for me. But it's how you deal with it the best. Cramming works for me because it will still remain fresh for me the next morning. Nothing will be at the back of mind and i'll be thinking about it constantly which is not necessarily a good sign because it might increase your stress levels.

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
this crap about a good nights rest is bull....if u have not studied systematically earlier on...then you got no choice you have to cram your arse off...like for the recent english ext 1 exam....although i knew my shit and was pretty well prepared...i still loaded myself up with two cans of V and stayed up till bout 3am...because it was raining outside...and I love the sound of rain outside when i am studying...i open all my windows to let the chill in, but wear shitloads of clothes...i just luv the feeling...so yeah cram...its good for you.

HSC
thanks for the tips guys!

chemistry ive studied lots and lots and lots for, id only be going over my notesi n terms of checking my notes with book responses

SDD i am just purely bad at, I might only get low 80s (aligned)- but the problem is you can't cram SDD its something you pick up over the time

but i still feel bad! i thank you guys advice, i hope you all kill chemistry, i wasnt planning on studying till wee hours of the morning, more so midnight

helenpoo

HSC
SDD is going to kick my ass tomorrow.

But yea. I keep trying to get a good nights rest but I keep waking up early. And then feeling all tired in afternoon exams xD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)