Your opinion on degree to transfer to (1 Viewer)

Sarah

HSC
N/A
1Time4thePpl said:
history of science and geography fall into the sciences faculty. I am not interested enough in them though. Also i'd have to do the commerce prereq's which I would only do if i absolutelly have to - i really don't enjoy anything to do with numbers.
Unfortunately, if you really want to do Psych, you can't escape from numbers.
Stats is a core subject.

Edit: You MIGHT be able to overcome this if you do a psych major as part of the Arts component of a combined degree. Best thing to do is check with your faculty. Also check that Psych will be recognised as a major if you do it in a combined Arts degree. A friend of mine told me that at USyd it's counted as a category B course. He was doing Comm/Arts and said his psych major wouldn't be recognised as his arts major becuase he has to do a major from the Arts faculty. This was a few yrs back so ther rules might have changed.

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Sarah said:
Unfortunately, if you really want to do Psych, you can't escape from numbers.
Stats is a core subject.
im doing ecmt1010 and that is business statistics a. I've learnt hypothesis tests, t tests, z tests etc.
It took me too bloody long to understand what the hell is going on. I put away too many hours trying to catch up. And at most times i was 3 weeks behind still trying to learn core concepts.

Psychology will apparently not be far more difficult maths than ecmt1010 (easier if anything) and there are a lot of non-mathematically based psych units.I am comfortable with the ones involving numbers (especially since i learned the concepts this semester)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Sarah said:
Edit: You MIGHT be able to overcome this if you do a psych major as part of the Arts component of a combined degree. Best thing to do is check with your faculty. Also check that Psych will be recognised as a major if you do it in a combined Arts degree. A friend of mine told me that at USyd it's counted as a category B course. He was doing Comm/Arts and said his psych major wouldn't be recognised as his arts major becuase he has to do a major from the Arts faculty. This was a few yrs back so ther rules might have changed.
You are correct, it can't be counted as the prereq major.

Sarah

HSC
N/A
1Time4thePpl said:
You are correct, it can't be counted as the prereq major.
Well you should be able to handle the first stats course in psych.

From what i hear it 3rd year psych stats is much harder.

Soo... what's your decision so far regarding transferring?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Sarah said:
Well you should be able to handle the first stats course in psych.

From what i hear it 3rd year psych stats is much harder.

Soo... what's your decision so far regarding transferring?
well, theyre redoing many degree award reqs at the end of this year but I'm almost certain I'll go for B Commerce (liberal studies). Advanced major in marketing and either political economy or IR&HRM and do elective units in psych and philosophy.
I see that as my best option atm.

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
hey, sorry couldn't be bothered reading all the replies, but why can't you major in psychology in com lib?
as long as you do the writing uni + enough cp from eco& bus + 4 arts units, you should be able to do a science major

i'm in 2nd year B. Com (lib), and i am doing 2 commerce majors, an arts major (jap), first year psychology, and japanese honours preparation program

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Toodulu said:
hey, sorry couldn't be bothered reading all the replies, but why can't you major in psychology in com lib?
as long as you do the writing uni + enough cp from eco& bus + 4 arts units, you should be able to do a science major

i'm in 2nd year B. Com (lib), and i am doing 2 commerce majors, an arts major (jap), first year psychology, and japanese honours preparation program
i think there was something in the handbook about not being able to major in psych.

if you do 2 commerce majors that's 8 UOS (as evidenced by the new standardisation). I will be double majoring in mktg and maj in ecop. So that's going to be about 20 UOS. +4 arts, + 2 science. doesn't give you much room.

hello99999

HSC
1Time4thePpl said:
i think there was something in the handbook about not being able to major in psych.

if you do 2 commerce majors that's 8 UOS (as evidenced by the new standardisation). I will be double majoring in mktg and maj in ecop. So that's going to be about 20 UOS. +4 arts, + 2 science. doesn't give you much room.
you can do govt subjects instead of arts. which would give you more room to do an out of faculty major (ie. psych). it might work.

llamalope

yes, they're my legs.
Left BOS (somewhat temporarily) on 29/12/05 to ret
HSC
i'm doing science commerce, major in psych, double major in marketing.... and i only do 20 hrs a week. It's a good combo, i think, if you wanna b in marketing. Also ask aim45x, he's doing the exact same degree as me. bsides, if you do math 1005/1105/1905, you don't have to do ecmt! I'm excited about that....

stazi

Nightman
HSC
llamalope said:
i'm doing science commerce, major in psych, double major in marketing.... and i only do 20 hrs a week. It's a good combo, i think, if you wanna b in marketing. Also ask aim45x, he's doing the exact same degree as me. bsides, if you do math 1005/1105/1905, you don't have to do ecmt! I'm excited about that....
im already doing ecmt. and i cant handle any more maths unit. not even another hour of maths. i'd rather inject myself with anus.
plus there's all those science cp prereqs.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
YES YES YES YES YES :D
I can do a psych major in com lib
Commerce (liberal studies) requires you to take 24cp arts, 12 cp science. So if I were to do 24cp of subjects offered by the arts faculty, I would not have enough to do a science major.
BUT there's a small loophole type thing:
The Business and Econ faculty has a resolution that Government and Internation Relations, whilst taught by the Business faculty, can be counted for arts CP requirements in undergraduate award courses offered by them.
So, I can do 4 subjects in eco and business and this will not reduce my 60cp maximum from other faculties at all. Thus giving me room to complete both a psych major and supplementary philosophy units on the side.
:D :D I'm so elated. Now i need my D average :( stupid ecmt.

In other news, how do you write your majors on your CV if you do com lib? For, say B Commerce (Accounting, Finance) i can understand. But Commerce (Liberal Studies) (Homosexual studies) looks wierd as lib studies is already in brackets

Komit

Byahhhhhhhhhh
HSC
Today I transferred from Economics/Law to Commerce/Law. Go me.

urdy

Stanky
HSC
There's not much difference between Commerce and Economics is there? Just that in commerce, you have to do ACCT A&B, and INFS? I'm doing sci/com, hate acct, going to major in econ and just do the other subjects here and there throughout my 4 yrs. Either that or drop com and do llb. Commercial barstards! :D And what's with all the CA and CPA ads of late?

My major purpose in life is to plug numbers in to a system under credits and debits and call myself a chartered accountant. Shudder.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
mmm stas finds another loophole :) if I, for example do the b.eco.soc.sci degree but not the actualy requirements for it it is counted as attempted but not completed. However, it gives me two extra NRSL index points for a transfer. Therefore, I would get 96 points instead of 94 allowing me to transfer to com (lib) and complete my degree in that way.
Lets hope it doesn't come to this as it would absolutely suck taking the risk, doing 3 years of study and failing the last subject I have to do: in turn not getting awarded a degree and majorly fucking me over. Well, actually it wouldnt as theres many other loopholes. I love loopholes like i love a-holes.

yvonne_710

Don't Lie
HSC
can B.economics ppl major both economics and other one from science faculty?? :uhhuh:

yvonne_710

Don't Lie
HSC
i 'd better go to student info office to ask.... :rolleyes: hehe, i can psyc1002 now,i am looking forward to this interesting unit! :) :)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
yvonne_710 said:
i 'd better go to student info office to ask.... :rolleyes: hehe, i can psyc1002 now,i am looking forward to this interesting unit! :) :)
ill be doing 1001 with you next yr :)
are you coming to drinks tomorrow?

yvonne_710

Don't Lie
HSC
1Time4thePpl said:
ill be doing 1001 with you next yr :)
are you coming to drinks tomorrow?
yah,have to do psyc1001 next yr,
i have to work 2molo till 8pm, i will miss 5free jugs.,............lol :D ....

stazi

Nightman
HSC
its 10 free jugs. and well be there till pretty late. most ppl are getting there round 8.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)