Young Liberal / Young Labor (2 Viewers)

James Bluntus

HSC
so you're basically saying that the Labor and Liberal party are the same thing except that you wanted to make friends with nicer people
Well, no. Labor is clearly the party that are there for the less fortunate.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Its great. I wouldn't have it any other way. I could have been a moderate in the Liberal party but I find the Libs can be over the top with Negativity at times.
"I could have been a moderate member in the Liberal Party but instead I joined the Labor party and fit in just as fine"

Ergo

Liberal and Labor are the same

Well, no. Labor is clearly the party that are there for the less fortunate.
What "less fortunate" are they there for?

Blastus

Liberty Matrix
HSC
N/A
Yeah I am a Young Labor. Campaigned at the last 2 elections (Federal and NSW) for the Labor party, however, I haven't handed HTV's out for YL. Only for the local campaign. I went up to Cessnock during the NSW election and campaigned for Clayton Barr our candidate up there. Had a great time and met some great people. I also went to a Young Labor Left conference down in Sydney where I made a speech on Centre Link payments and they should be indexed to the CPI. It passed Unanimously. I've also participated in teleconferences.

Its great. I wouldn't have it any other way. I could have been a moderate in the Liberal party but I find the Libs can be over the top with Negativity at times.
ahahahhahahahahaha you fuckin retard

James Bluntus

HSC
"I could have been a moderate member in the Liberal Party but instead I joined the Labor party and fit in just as fine"

Ergo

Liberal and Labor are the same

What "less fortunate" are they there for?

Ha. Thanks for mis-quoting me.

The poor, centrelink recipents etc.

Hence my speech to YLL conference:

Introduction (name if necessary.)
*****IF NEEDED ONLY!!!!*****
I seek leave to make a statement.
Motion!!!!!! I move that the Centre link benefits being raised in line with the Consumer Price Index (CPI).

*****ACTUAL SPEECH!!!!*****

Thank you Madam Speaker. Today I am going to talk about why this motion should be in the YLL Platform. Today I will talk about the pensioners, carers and the unemployed.
The pay that these people receive is absolutely un-acceptable. This group of people can’t afford basic living expenses. We are not a third world country. We are a country that has the ability to care for our citizens in need. For the benefit of the Conference, I will provide a summary of the benefits for this group of people. The Single Age pension is $658.40 per fortnight. For a couple, it is $496.30 per fortnight. The cares allowance is $106.70 per fortnight, plus a $600 per year supplement. The carers payment’s are the same rates as the age pension. The Unemployed receive a benefit called the New Start Allowance. The Single with no children Newstart Allowance is $469.70 per fortnight, while with dependent children is $508.20 per fortnight. This is not acceptable given the rising cost of living. These people have to pay for their food, toiletries, bills, rates, clothes, medical and other expanses to survive. Most of these people have to rely on public transport, this adds to the cost that they sustain.
The Pensioners have contributed to the economy for upwards of 50-60-70 years. I would like to congratulate the Rudd government for granting the pensioners a $30.00 raise in rates in the 2009-10 budget. While this is a start, more needs to be done.
I now move on to talk about the Carers of Australia, the Carers want a voice. We need to be that voice.
Carers are a group of society that care because they love the person that they are caring for. Therefore, they need assistance from the government to keep up with the rising cost of living.
Carers Payment is a payment made to a carer because they cannot support themselves through Paid employment. The carers have to take on modified furniture, modified houses and any cost of surgery. Surgery can cost upwards of between $2000 and $4000.
These rates need to be adjusted in line with the Consumer Price Index (CPI). This is absolutely imperative, to ensure that these people are not left behind in society.
The Labor party and Labor Left faction is about looking after the people of society that needs help the most. We stand up for the needs of these people. This is why raising the Centrelink benefit payments in line with the CPI need to be in YLL platform.
Thank you for allowing me to speak on this motion that I feel very strongly about.

Lentern

HSC
You faceless man you, you killed Kevin didn't you?

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Very different to killing off a democratically elected Prime Minister.

Lentern

HSC
Very different to killing off a democratically elected Prime Minister.
Also a public struggle within the party stretched over weeks with front bench resignations and serious policy disputes is quite different to Sam Maiden tweeting that a lot of people seem to be hanging out in Julia's office tonight then an hour later Paul Howes turning up on lateline to say that it's all done and decided.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
WE don't elect the PM. WE elect the government. The PM is chosen by the party.
We elect a party into government with a particular leader apparently steering the ship. A government therefore changes when its leader changes.

None the less, it is foolish to so blindly align yourself with a political party, especially for the reasons mentioned. Your efforts would be much better put to use advocating something along the lines of much needed political reform.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
If you were a real labor lefty you'd advocate a single land tax so we can hit the landed gentry where it really hurts.

At least I think that's what labor left is all about.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
cosmo kramer with the triple post

an opinion, a joke, and a nazi reference

bos hero

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)