Yet another youth allowance question... (1 Viewer)

Trentyboi

HSC
But a tricky one!

Alright, so from what I've heard, Centrelink's only willing to pay Youth Allowance for one degree. I can understand and appreciate that, but what if, for one of your years of study, you received no youth allowance, as you were not eligible for it?

Thus, Centrelink would not be paying you for an entire degree, right? So, under this logic, such persons should be able to carry forward that extra 'year' into their masters? If I do masters, it's only one extra year you see, hence the questions in this thread.

However, knowing Centrelink, they'll probably hand me some bullshit excluding me from being able to do the aforementioned plan. I did some searching and checked the threads, but couldn't find anything.

If anyone could clarify, or direct me to an easy answer, it would be greatly appreciated. I don't have a home phone, so calls to Centrelink chew up a fair bit out of my credit, and I'm not exactly excited to wait for probably over an hour in a Centrelink office to ask such questions to staff who probably don't know the answer (based upon previous experiences)

Good luck for the new semester too, first lecture tomorrow for me.

bio_nut

HSC
Why should they pay for the extra year because you weren't deemed to need it? Cheating the system that sounds like. Some Masters degrees are eligible for YA, some aren't. I only have a list of masters degrees in vic that are allowed, sorry. You'll probably have to talk to them.

I had to call centrelink on my mobile a lot too. If you want the money, you have to put the time and effort in.

Trentyboi

HSC
How is it cheating the system? Youth Allowance payments are meant to be for ONE degree. Mine will be for two thirds of a degree. So, by common sense, I should be able to carry forward my 1/3 into further tertiary studies. Masters are for one extra year, degrees are three years. If I didn't claim Centrelink for my Bachelor, I'm sure my Masters would be eligible for such payments, as I'm studying accounting, which is one of the few professions that are still in demand in this country.

I don't think that you are aware of Centrelink only paying for one degree for youth allowance. In two years (which is when I'd be doing Masters, if I decide to), I will still be classed as 'independent', so how I could be cheating the system is far beyond me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)