Yeats.. anyone? (1 Viewer)

denise_

So fetch!
HSC
okay, this is the last straw, does anyone/ has anyone done yeats? I am seriously dying. If you have any notes or resources please PM me or post here. it would be a great help!

cheers,
Denise

Desiree

HSC
I would love some information on Yeats' poetry, especially on "Sailing to Byzantium", The Seond Coming", "The Wild Swans of Coole", and "When you are old"
I have an assessment to do on how context shapes/influences your interpretation of Yeats' poetry.:worried:

Thank you

Julz_012

HSC
I'm doing Yeats atm and i've just finished part of an assignment analysing three of his poems. i'll attach my analysis of the second coming. i don't know how correct it is but it might give u some ideas. if anyone else has analysed the others i'd LOVE it if u could post it. perticularly Easter 1916.
thanx

TITFAN

HSC
ARGGGG IM PROBABLY GOING TO KILL SOMEONE BECAUSE OF YEATS!!! julz i checks ur analysis and it rocked! totally different to what we're doing dammit!!

ryan11

Dazedconfused
HSC
Like you guys, I had the poor fortune of suffering near-death with WB Yeats last year. I helped a mate of mine in constructing a 'superguide' to Yeats, with six of his poems covered in-depth along with critical analyses. I've attached it here. It's incredibly comprehensive, but you'll get a lot out of it. Hope it serves you well!

lil_huyenie

HSC
haha..i have the same problem as denise !!

we did yeats and it was a killer !!

soo yea any help would be good !

ryan11

Dazedconfused
HSC
heatherxo said:
i am with all of you....Yeats is terrible
We have to pick one of the 6 poems and do a detailed analysis on it....
does anyone have any suggestions as to which one is easier/better to do???
Wild Swans at Coole is the easiest to grasp, and I warrant the poem most students will use. Byzantium and Sailing To are horrendously difficult.

denise_

So fetch!
HSC
^^^ i did the second coming. i thought it was pretty o-kay.

omg my assessments were so full of shit. first i had food poisoning and cbb getting a medical certificate and secondly i went braindead. scraped a pass (10/20) which constitutes to..15% of my assessment mark?

ryan11

Dazedconfused
HSC
denise_ said:
^^^ i did the second coming. i thought it was pretty o-kay.

omg my assessments were so full of shit. first i had food poisoning and cbb getting a medical certificate and secondly i went braindead. scraped a pass (10/20) which constitutes to..15% of my assessment mark?
Remonstrate with your teacher...because you can. If you had a poor result, it means you can excel in your remaining assessments and exams. I remember doing my Yeats assessment, and got something like 13/20 for it; I studied my arse off and completed the essay question in the HSC exam. I don't even know why Yeats is on the syllabus - he was high on Irish moss all of the time.

heatherxo

HSC
ryan11 said:
Remonstrate with your teacher...because you can. If you had a poor result, it means you can excel in your remaining assessments and exams. I remember doing my Yeats assessment, and got something like 13/20 for it; I studied my arse off and completed the essay question in the HSC exam. I don't even know why Yeats is on the syllabus - he was high on Irish moss all of the time.

what does that mean exacty??? what is remonstrate???

denise_

So fetch!
HSC
i was thinking of that too. i replaced the r with a d in the meantime

Soiboi

HSC
Yeats is pretty understandable once you read his stuff for the bazzillionth time...what i'm having trouble with is finding his critics ><!...loking for some good links to back up my views but can't find any readings from "reliable" people. If anyone has some good links i'd sooo appreciate it if you sent me them =P. And please, no links to people trying to sell me their term papers...i've had enough of them already... :angry:

ryan11

Dazedconfused
HSC
heatherxo said:
what does that mean exacty??? what is remonstrate???
Remonstrate means to protest.

Soiboi said:
...what i'm having trouble with is finding his critics
The SuperGuide that I attached a while ago has got criticisms that could be useful for your arguments. The NSW State Library has a limited collection of Yeats critics, such as Geoffrey Thurley, but there is always a good place to start.

heart

sm:)e
HSC
For Yeats you don't really need any specific critics.
Like for the 'Wild Swans at Coole' you could interpret it psychoanalytically or from a more romantic, philosophical perspective... and you don't even need to mention any critics.

The poems i found easiest in the hsc were Wild Swans, Easter 1916 and When you are old.
Except i thought Byzantium was too complicated.

ryan11

Dazedconfused
HSC
heart said:
For Yeats you don't really need any specific critics.
Like for the 'Wild Swans at Coole' you could interpret it psychoanalytically or from a more romantic, philosophical perspective... and you don't even need to mention any critics.

The poems i found easiest in the hsc were Wild Swans, Easter 1916 and When you are old.
Except i thought Byzantium was too complicated.
On the other hand, I find that quoting critics/criticisms can aid you in the credibility of your argument. I had perhaps two or three critics overall for three poems in the essay, and that's no hard task.

heart

HSC
Yup, of course - that's right - critics can aid the credibility of your argument.

However you can get away with not mentioning any ;)

ryan11

Dazedconfused
HSC
heart said:
Yup, of course - that's right - critics can aid the credibility of your argument.

However you can get away with not mentioning any ;)
Perhaps! My class were strongly advised to use some critics in the essay, even in the Trials and practice papers. It can go either way really...if you have a bit of luck, or can pull enough from behind.

heart

HSC
Isn't that weird how some schools place more emphasis on putting critics in :p

We didn't use critics in our trials, hsc etc

oh well, guess it's not that big an issue :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)