Year 12 or TAFE for Uni Admission (1 Viewer)

blisto

HSC
N/A
Hi everyone,
I'm at a crossroad right now and need advice on my best option.

Having left school at year 9 due to circumstances at home, I've been looking at returning to studies especially since I'll be 21 next year.

I plan on going to TAFE but there's 2 possible route. I can either do a cert IV/Diploma, or complete my Year 11/12 there.

A Diploma would take less time, and I will gain transferrable credits to certain Unis.

Completing Year 12 however, would offer me a wider University and course choice. I'm just worried about handling Year 11 work after my gap and the level of guidance TAFE offers. Would I be able to get a good UAI score by doing Year 12 at TAFE?

Thanks for looking.

Makro

Porcupine
HSC
You most likely will be able to get a good UAI, you're older more mature, have your head around things. Year 11/12 isn't THAT hard. Especially considering your age and lack of distractions (social life tends to play a major role here).

If you already know what you want to do, you may as well get the Diploma and not go through the year 11/12 stuff, 'cos it's pointless if you KNOW what you want.

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
i agree with Makro -- work out what you want to do, then do the relevant diploma/certificate at TAFE. So not only will you be able to get into uni, but you may be able to skip some of the introductory subjects at uni because you will have already covered the material.

if you are unsure, you could also seek out the guidance of a careers advisor.

HSC
exactly what they said - if you want to, or think you might want to, do a course at uni which will REQUIRE a UAI, and prerequisites in Year 12 English etc (ie. arts, science, engineering etc etc), then it might be necessary to do your year 11 and 12 studies. However, if you are looking for a more vocational course, or something which doesn't require any high school prerequisites, then a diploma is probably going to be more useful because you will be able to transfer credits etc as you mentioned.

So it really depends - yr11/12 will keep your options open, but there is no point in doing it if you don't need to!

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
I entered uni through TAFE (similar situation to you, I left school half way through year 10, then completed the CGVE and TPC at TAFE for uni admission) and absolutely enjoyed it.

the TPC is a one year full time course which incorporates year 11/12 study with uni prep specific subjects such as referencing and essay writing. the course is mainly aimed at mature age students or those who left school early.

as well as normal classes with lower student numbers, we had access to extra tutorial sessions if we needed help, as well as careers advising, general counselling, uac sessions and whatnot. as for getting a good mark, one of my classmates got a perfect 300 for his TES, a lot of students got in the 290's and ALL students in the cohort who applied for uni admission (including me!) received their first UAI preference.

for uni admission, you receive a TES of 300 which is converted into a UAI. some uni's have age requirements for TPC students (but as you're 21 this wouldn't apply to you) and you need to check with the uni if they accept TPC students for the course you wish to do (most do).

so if you want to complete year 11/12, i'd also recommend thinking about the TPC. otherwise i agree with the others about the cert IV/diploma route if you know what you want to focus on and gain credits for study in uni.

my personal recommendation? talk to the careers advisor on your TAFE campus. before i started studying at TAFE, i went to talk to mine and she gave me six different study/work options and made choosing what to do really easy for me. TAFE really changed the course of my life, i wish you the absolute best.

Crestwood's_G

In Elegance
HSC
if u just went to school for 2 more years and got ur HSC u could done so shit and waited 1 year and got in as mature age student with no questions

blisto

HSC
N/A
Thanks everyone for all the advice and especially ambermon for your personal experience.

Part of my dilemma is the fact that some of the better Uni don't offer credits for TAFE or even accept it as an admission criteria.

Taking Year 12 would allow me the option of going to the best school my results will take me, while TAFE would allow me to complete my studies and work sooner.

I'm not sure which makes more sense. Does which Uni you graduate from really affect your employability?

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
regardless, she's 21 and already left school years ago, so why even bother suggesting what "might have been?" pretty pointless imo. she's wanting to know about options with tafe, not high school.

anyway, blisto you'd need to check with the admissions department of the uni you wish to study at to see if they recognise prior learning for credits. i'd only do the diploma if you're absolutely sure you also want to undertake a degree in the same field, and that your prior study is recognised. what degree are you aiming to do?

undertaking the tafe hsc or tpc really would keep your options open for uni admission, especially if you change your mind about the course you want to do.

as for employability, each uni has its strengths and weaknesses within its schools. i'd certainly not discount doing a degree at an institution just because it has an unjustified stigma against it for not being located in the city. honestly, your marks matter more, especially if you wish to go on to a post grad. every uni has successful students and those who drop out within the first few weeks. it's what you make of it.

that bloke

HSC
Having a degree from a less renowned uni wont hold you back either if your prospective employer sees that you have been actively pursuing work experience throughout your studies, have some on-the-job experience already, and by doing this you will have made a few contacts by the time you complete your degree anyway and may have your foot in numerous doors.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)