Year 12 Maths- 2U or Ext.1? (1 Viewer)

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
I'm finding myself in quite a unique spot here

I've always been decent at maths, not always in the top 4/5 in my year but almost always in the top ten (out of around 70)

However this year in Extension 1 I've been getting 34 and 44% in my tests, for the second one I studied 16 hours (but didn't allow myself enough time for Trig however, this isn't doing easy papers and stuff as well, I was being challenged with some questions.

Also I find that I get the 2U stuff but not the 3U stuff as much as I find my friends are, I get the principle but not the harder applications.

I'm hoping to pass my end of year test, but ATM I'm ranked about 13th out of 17 people in my Ext 1 class. Not exactly a large chunk off my previous year's score but still.

My 2U is fine, I got around 77% in both tests, ranked about 8th, it's just Extension I'm worried about.

Should I do it next year or just drop to 2U? All the people below me are considering dropping to 2U, but I'm afraid if I drop there I'll might lose some motivation, and I've previously set the standard in my grade so perception-wise it's not awesome either.

Any feedback would be much appreciated. :)

HSC
Well it really depends...

Since your going well and understanding 2U I don't see any reason why you wouldn't keep Ext 1 maths. If you weren't understanding 2U nor 3U i'd say go down to 2U but that's not your case.

If you think you can achieve a higher mark in 2U (say in the 90%+ Range) concentrating only on the 2U work and dropping Ext 1, I think it would be in your best interest to drop and achieve the highest mark possible in 2U.

Are you dropping any of your prelim subjects next year?

Last edited:

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
Well it really depends...

Since your going well and understanding 2U I don't see any reason why you wouldn't keep Ext 1 maths. If you weren't understanding 2U nor 3U i'd say go down to 2U but that's not your case.

If you think you can achieve a higher mark in 2U (say in the 90%+ Range) concentrating only on the 2U work and dropping Ext 1, I think it would be in your best interest to drop and achieve the highest mark possible in 2U.

Are you dropping any of your prelim subjects next year?
Any other prelim subjects? In that case possibly Extension English as I find it quite boring, but it depends on how my assessments go (I handed in mine today) this year. I don't think it's beneficial to keep 12 units though in Year 12 (I'm thinking of taking up Ext History, I have a fairly good chance of getting invited).

My maths teacher also told me to see how it goes at the end of the year, it's not affecting my 2U mark (as of yet possibly) but as far as I see my extension subjects are just for my ATAR. Also I feel if I drop I can probably get a better mark in 2U.

At the moment I'm about 80% leaving 20% staying but as you have said it really depends. I'm going to do as well as I can for the rest of this year so I can continue with Year 12 knowing that I did my best in this course, and hopefully some better grades might come, but I'm not so sure- there are heaps of people that only studied 4ish hours for the last ext maths test and got 50 and 60%, so ability wise I'm probably not up there anymore.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Looks like you've found the limit of your abilities. If your marks don't improve by the end of the year, and you feel you're spending ridiculous amounts of time studying for not much result - I'd suggest dropping it.

But I'd suggest enjoyment and motivation as being more important things to consider when figuring out what to keep/drop.

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
Looks like you've found the limit of your abilities. If your marks don't improve by the end of the year, and you feel you're spending ridiculous amounts of time studying for not much result - I'd suggest dropping it.

But I'd suggest enjoyment and motivation as being more important things to consider when figuring out what to keep/drop.
I've been thinking the same way as well, thanks for the reply.

davidd1

HSC

I highly recommend this suggestion..

I really wish if I had a chance of hearing such advice when I was in your age...

Lina3

HSC
Personally, I am in a very similar situation. In term 1 I spent insane amounts of time on extension stuff and got 51%. This term I focused more on other things and got 38% in ext. On the other hand, 2U hasn't suffered at all despite relatively minimal effort (consistent marks in the 70%-80% range). What I feel is best choice for me, and this may help you also, is to focus more on 2U. I know I have the potential to achieve high marks that would, in turn, result in a good ATAR. From what you say, you have even more of this potential.
In the end it is entirely up to you. However, consider your abilities, the way you feel about the subject and what you aspire to do at uni. Does it involve a high level of maths? If you think these things through in the next term, I am certain you will come to the right decision :)

S

SpiralRex

Do not worry young one.

There is still time to improve in 3U Mathematics and if worst comes to worst, you could always drop to 2U and excel in 2U!

Have belief. Extension Mathematics isn't easy at all so there is nothing to be ashamed of when you get a mark you're not satisfied with. Keep going.

annieeeex

HSC
N/A
My english tutor told me to drop extension maths and focus on other subjects cus she said i can improve in my other subjects if i drop it. but i love my extension math class, so HELLLL NO IM DROPPING. I enjoy going to the class even though i'm not getting high marks, so im keeping it :) i also have more math lessons cus of extension maths, and if i drop i'd get less which i think is ugh. Doing extension maths also help u with 2unit maths too :D So dont drop it. Even if ur not getting high marks, just do it cus it helps u. But if u spend too much time on it and not getting high marks then .. i dont know. If u dont enjoy it, drop it. Im only keeping it cus i get really good revision sheets compared to other classes and i like my class. ANd i get more classes

annieeeex

HSC
N/A
And you can definitely improve in maths if you study effectively. Borrow/buy good textbooks and keep doing the questions, if u do plan to buy textbooks, get fitzpatrick and cambridge :D the questions are awesome. just keep practicing, maths is soemthing u can improve in :) good luck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)