Year 12 hsc study tips (1 Viewer)

HSC
^ as the title says!

How should I study for the sciences and maths. I am doing chem, bio, maths 2u and maths ext 1.

For the science there is so much to learn. So much content, how do you think I should learn all the content.

Does anyone have concise summary notes for the sciences to help me out. Can you please please email me them. I have HSC starting next term.

Thanks,

HSC
Theres a fair amount of notes in the resources section. You could tie some together.

For sciences Im going to do summary notes as i go throughout the year (Im doing Physics and Chemistry). For 2U and 3U: Get some at least average notes recorded, complete lots of problems from the textbook, complete practice questions from other sources, then complete past papers.

My science teachers tell me that it would be harder to get the ATAR Im looking for with just one source for each science (in reference to textbook) as opposed to consulting multiple textbooks. So, for chemistry, Im using my supplied chemistry textbook alongside Excel HSC chemistry (just to clarify everything along the way, make sure i am nailing every dot point); i would use another proper supplementary textbook (not just a study guide) but Geoffrey Thicket HSC Chemistry supposedly covers the course in more than adamant detail. For physics, i am using the supplied physics textbook, Excel HSC physics (again, just to clarify everything) and possibly Physics in focus as this has had a good rap online and from my physics teacher.

I think consistency is going to be key in our HSC year! Good luck!
Thanks bro,

but still how are you going to learn all the information. I mean would it be confusing for you learn from different textbooks because every textbook explains different. if you think about it, there is just so much content in biology and if you don't rote learn, you won't remember the exact information you need to score full marks. I swear, no jokes I rote learned about two topics and score 82% in my half-yearly biology exam. The only reason I lost 18% was because my I didn't rote learn properly the information, so I had holes in my knowledge.

Plus don't learn from a textbook, I heared it is not effect. Make your own notes I guess.

Here watch this asap: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ohw2SaknPPA - Explains why you shouldn't study from a textbook.

Last edited:
HSC
You have to learn from a textbook. Sure, you don't quote a textbook in an exam, but you should learn out of it. You make your own notes from the textbook, and then extrapolate and develop the best parts into your own syllabus summary notes.

Reading someone else's notes isn't going to get you anywhere.

I agree, but you need to find someones note that you can use plus the textbook to make your own notes at some stage during the HSC year.
Have you seen the video- This guy says don't learn from a textbook, he interviewed top kids, and they all said we made our own notes!

But the thing is, yes you make your own notes! Say for example, biology their is about 25 pages per topic max. How on earth can you remember this much information during the exam. Do you like just remember, the key points.

for example, here is my notes I made for chemistry, Should I just remember the key points from it and then expand it during an exam if I get a quetsion on it.

•Syllabus Point 2.8: – Assess the evidence which indicates increases in atmospheric concentration of oxides of sulfur and nitrogen.

After the industrial revolution of the early 1800’s there was agreat increase in the emissions of sulfur dioxide. This continued to rise until the 1950’s and 1960’s, when deaths were recorded as a result of the air pollution.
 London smogs of 1952 caused by sulfur dioxide from burning coal resulted in death of 4000 people. Stringent regulations were brought in after.

 There is very strong evidence for the increases in atmospheric concentration of oxides of sulfur and nitrogen over the last 200 years. There has been a 25% increase.
• Evidence from the measurement of carbon isotopes in old trees.
• Photochemical smog
• Acid rain

 However there are some difficulties obtaining good evidence for the increases in atmospheric concentrations of oxides of sulfur and nitrogen:
• It is difficult to obtain accurate evidence as the concentration of sulfur and nitrogen oxides are present in very small concentrations (about 0.001 ppm).
• Sulfur dioxide and nitrogen dioxide form sulfate and nitrate ions respectively and these are soluble in water so they circulate in the biosphere and hydrosphere but don’t precipitate out in forms we can readily study.

Last edited:
HSC
Haha yeh i get you man, but im saying the whole point of notes is the key information.

The textbook has heaps of information with consolidation covering the syllabus right? You want to learn all the key concepts. During that process, you write notes to extract the key information from the textbook - the important stuff. Then you make syllabus summary notes to refine your notes, deepen your understanding and make sure you didn't miss anything along the way.

Everyone should make their own notes! But you still need to learn content from textbook/teacher.
110% agreed! What a champion!!! if I had two word to describe you! It would be Study Legend.

I am sure you will top the state in chemistry if you keep helping me! we will still help each other bro!

We will top the state, lets get ready for real study!

Last edited:

moocow920

HSC
Yes you don't just read the textbook to study, but how are you going to make the notes without first understanding the content by using resources with correct information such as the textbook? You can't make notes out of thin air, there is a difference between 'studying' by reading the textbook and using the textbook as a source of correct, detailed knowledge.

And rote learning will not get you a Band 6 in bio, Band 4 or low 5 yes, but you need a deep understanding to get to the highest level

HeroicPandas

Heroic!
HSC
Maths - understand the basics by textbook questions or w/e then hit the past papers

probjer

HSC
Maths - learn theory -> homework questions -> past papers/questions
Sciences - do your dot points regularly -> past papers/questions

j12onuzim

HSC
How do you find motivation to actually sit down and do the work?

HSC
I really love helping Everyone on BOS,

so guys don't be afraid to ask for help, always ask help when you need it. To help Everyone during these tough HSC exams. WHat I will do is post a site to start off!

http://studytelevision.com/- This site pretty much will give you every study tip, you need to ace the HSC exam. SEE it yourself!

I just wish Everyone a happy day and I wish everyone acheives their goals by the end of HSC.

HSC
Hello :)

Dude in all honesty you should have finished your OWN notes months ago, when you finished the science courses, that way you're reading something you produced, ensuring you will understand it completely, as opposed to others which may have a different expression. It's not a bad idea to use other peoples notes however its best to make your own! It's not too late, i still recommend doing so!

To study for chemistry and biology (which i do) i recommend past papers, and re-writing the answers you get wrong, do from papers 2003-2012 and if you have the time do 2001 and 2002! Do the papers minimum 2 times, you will see a trend that the questions repeat themselves, after all its the same syllabus being tested over and over again, there's nothing they can get out nowhere and test you on it.

As for the Maths I cannot give advice, as I do general and no study is needed ahaha :)

BTW, if you want some chemistry notes by myself I'd be glad to send you module 1 and module 2, as I have them on soft copy, and if you desperately need module 3 and option I can scan them for you as they're hand written, or I can send you secondary resources which I find beneficial! :) Reply with your email and ill get them to you asap!

Goodluck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)