Year 12 Chemistry (1 Viewer)

C'est la vie

Hey everyone,

I'm thinking of continuing with chemistry for next term (that's when we start yr12), but I'm still undecided. I enjoy it, even though sometimes I REALLY don't understand it.

Does it get MUCH harder than the year 11 course? What do you reckon, keep going with it? I refuse to play the scaling game when choosing my subjects, but I either drop bio or chem...and lets face it, chemistry scaled MUCH better than biology. lol. What do you think?

Sammmmmuel

chem is one of the subjects that all u need to do is get the syllabus off the interenet and answer the dot points... thats what i did this year and missed quite a few classes and atm im on top... my point is that hsc chem is actually really easy to get a good mark in... when i did it in yr 11 i sucked at it, i think my top mark was like 48/110 and now my average is like 86 per cent. so yer, i hav no idea about how the scaling thing works but i did chem for the hell of it and it seems to be paying off

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
It's true that Chemistry scales well, that was the main factor for my decision to continue it. (besides not being able to drop it as well :p)

As said, Chemistry is about answering dot points and making sure you can understand why this works or how it works.

It's almost entirely concept-driven.

And with that said, rest easy, there are heaps of sites that have a plentiful and extensive range of answers to all the dot points ensuring you have covered everything.

What I would suggest is -not- to drop it until you find out that you really hate the HSC course.

Since you year 11's are nearing the HSC course, something you should learn very well is "Moles". Those are an important part of the HSC course.

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Ragerunner
something you should learn very well is "Moles". Those are an important part of the HSC course.
That, and Le Chatelier's principle and equilibrium reactions ;)

Dangar

I found it was pretty much the same as year eleven chem, i didn't really notice the difference, just kept slogging on. Lots of memorising and little understanding is required. It isn't very hard but I wouldn't say it was fun or inspired me, unlike physics...

~*HSC 4 life*~

HSC
N/A
oh crap!

im soooo bad at moles....
:(
how do i master at them? any suggestions

FLR-IT

practice!!

Chem in yr 11 really sucked, but once u start to realise that it is one of the best scaling subjects (in my case) u will begin to work on it, and once u do it will become alot more fun.

Yr12 is alot more interesting than 11, in my opinion

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i say if you like it keep going, i think yr 12 is more interesting, and if you do a good option you will like it

sexkitten

i'm doing both chem and phy right now in Yr 11...im failing both of the damn subjects, but i want to drop one of them for snr science...which one should i drop??
:apig::apig: :apig: :apig: :apig:

Azn fairies

i say do y12 chem ...y11 chem sucks crap.. year12 much beeter ..i did so shit in y11 (only 60%) ...but in year12 (89%) . so yeah. much easier and interesting

iyamahobbit

Resident hobbit
HSC
Ooh, well, i luved yr11 chem, so sounds like i'm in for an easy yr next yr :)

Neway, someone mentioned that there are lots of sites out there that answer the syllabus points well -- can anyone point me to them?

crazylilmonkee

HSC
yeah chem for yr 12 isnt bad, some areas are boring, but if u can get the hang of it, then its all good and its true bio doesn't scale as well, but bio is more interesting in my opinion.. im doing both tho so its ok
g'luck
i think u can try hsc.csu.edu.au

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
its personal preferences really... to do well, you gotta memorise and learn a lot of crap but it would be alot easier if you enjoy it than if you hate it.

Bepps

With our class most of the ppl who did well in year 11 went crap in year 12 and vica versa. I was shocking in year 11 but now i'm coming 2nd over all :). I'd say stick with it, and practice moles as much as possible - i hate them too (esp. gas volume calculations!!), but if you blitz everything else you should be right.

sexkitten

so iz it yr 12 chem da way to go? or phy?? hmm..every1 tellz mi chem iz betta den phy...may b i should stick wiv chem n drop phy...eh~???
:apig::apig: :apig: :apig: :apig:

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
i do bothand i enjoy physics alot more than chem. it again all comes down to your personal preference... dont let other people make that decision for you. Go through your chem/phys text books and ask yourself if you can be bothered reading though that... perhaps more than once and take detailed notes for each and every one of those syllabus points. do whatever you enjoy.. it'll be alot easier.

sexkitten

Originally posted by Constip8edSkunk
i do bothand i enjoy physics alot more than chem. it again all comes down to your personal preference... dont let other people make that decision for you. Go through your chem/phys text books and ask yourself if you can be bothered reading though that... perhaps more than once and take detailed notes for each and every one of those syllabus points. do whatever you enjoy.. it'll be alot easier.
THNXXXX for da advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sorry to upset all u chem ppl...but im droppin it!!!~ i went through my yearly paper, n figured out that i actualli understand most of the physics stuff, but not the chem...chem is just like...*BLAAAAH* to me^^* thnx for your advices...really appreciated it~ esp many thnx to Constip8edSkunk!!~* :D :D :D :apig: :apig: :apig: :apig: :apig:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)