Year 11 Subject Selection Advice. (1 Viewer)

AlienWithLiberty610

HSC
I’m undertaking the following subjects for Yr 11: Advanced English, Advanced Math, PDHPE, Chemistry and Biology (accelerated course). For my 6th course, I wasn’t given the subject I wanted as it coincides with the accelerated course, which I cannot negotiate with. So they assigned me Engineering Studies.

I really don’t know how confident I will be pursuing this course. It seems interesting, but I don’t want it to be the death of me. Physics has never been my strong point, so I really don’t think that Engineering Studies will come to me naturally.

School says that I can change to either Modern History or CAFS. Modern history, for me, is out of the subject. I’ve never been interested in humanities at all; honestly they bore me to death.

Community and Family Studies is an option, but it has its drawbacks. The content appears easy. Easy to the point it seems awfully boring. I really want to enjoy the class I’m in, I don’t know if I’d be able to do that with CAFS. It may be better than Engineering though.

If my dream future career path is a factor in deciding between the two courses, then I am really intent on getting into medicine. Perhaps a more science subject will help? Or maybe CAFS has the more human aspect of being a doctor. At the end of Yr 11, it is highly possible that I will drop whatever subject I take here to focus on other existing courses. Unless I do exceptionally well in them and believe I’ve found my true place in the world.

I am once again asking random educated people on the internet for assistance and words of wisdom. What is the best thing to do in this situation?

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
I’m undertaking the following subjects for Yr 11: Advanced English, Advanced Math, PDHPE, Chemistry and Biology (accelerated course). For my 6th course, I wasn’t given the subject I wanted as it coincides with the accelerated course, which I cannot negotiate with. So they assigned me Engineering Studies.

I really don’t know how confident I will be pursuing this course. It seems interesting, but I don’t want it to be the death of me. Physics has never been my strong point, so I really don’t think that Engineering Studies will come to me naturally.

School says that I can change to either Modern History or CAFS. Modern history, for me, is out of the subject. I’ve never been interested in humanities at all; honestly they bore me to death.

Community and Family Studies is an option, but it has its drawbacks. The content appears easy. Easy to the point it seems awfully boring. I really want to enjoy the class I’m in, I don’t know if I’d be able to do that with CAFS. It may be better than Engineering though.

If my dream future career path is a factor in deciding between the two courses, then I am really intent on getting into medicine. Perhaps a more science subject will help? Or maybe CAFS has the more human aspect of being a doctor. At the end of Yr 11, it is highly possible that I will drop whatever subject I take here to focus on other existing courses. Unless I do exceptionally well in them and believe I’ve found my true place in the world.

I am once again asking random educated people on the internet for assistance and words of wisdom. What is the best thing to do in this situation?
Engineering studies in Year 11 goes more in depth of the Dynamics portion of physics and further as you would learn torques, normally learnt in Yr 12 phys and would apply the same set of skills to real life scenarios such as the forces acting on a wheelbarrow. The relationship between maths and physics is the same with physics and engineering, its pretty hard to like one and not like the other. Engineering studies also requires you to do some projects such as reports within Year 11 and does require dedication and effort to do well in it. The people I see who enjoy this subject are those who are interested in Engineering and wish to pursue an engineering field such as aerospace or mechanical since the content does overlap, this subject served as a rude awakener to some of my friends who assumed they would be good in engineering because they were good in maths/phys.

Edit: I recommend choosing CAFs, its more easier comparatively and has content that might help in the long run since you learn about family structure and all that which has more overlap in than engineering. The people who excel in that subject are those who are able to organise their notes and can recite lines from what I've seen, you should be more than fine to do it. CAFs and PDHPE is a standard combo so you should be fine.

MonKey1919

HSC
It shouldn't really matter since you can just drop that subject. I do engineering, and you will learn things about forces, circuits, braking systems, different types of materials (polymers, metals etc), manufacturing processes, fluid mechanics, there is a history component to engineering as well, atomic structures, and drawings.

If that sounds boring to you, you're probably better off doing CAFs.

AlienWithLiberty610

HSC
I’d like to start off by thanking everyone for their advice. It has helped me come to the conclusion that I should probably do CAFS, as it is a subject that requires less effort (not that I don’t want to put in effort but rather that there isn’t too much point in putting effort into a subject that I’m probably going to drop). Furthermore, it has more overlap with my other subjects and future career path.

It shouldn't really matter since you can just drop that subject. I do engineering, and you will learn things about forces, circuits, braking systems, different types of materials (polymers, metals etc), manufacturing processes, fluid mechanics, there is a history component to engineering as well, atomic structures, and drawings.

If that sounds boring to you, you're probably better off doing CAFs.
It doesn’t sound boring. On the contrary, really. However, it does seem to require a lot of effort, and while I am willing to put in that effort, it is kind of pointless since I’d probably drop it anyway.

you should keep in mind that senior history subjects are very different to the history you did in junior years
True. However, junior subjects do try to prepare you for senior subjects by teaching skills such as writing structure. I don’t have issues with the content for history, but I don’t like source analysis etc.
Either way, Modern history doesn’t seem to be the subject for me.

Engineering studies in Year 11 goes more in depth of the Dynamics portion of physics and further as you would learn torques, normally learnt in Yr 12 phys and would apply the same set of skills to real life scenarios such as the forces acting on a wheelbarrow. The relationship between maths and physics is the same with physics and engineering, its pretty hard to like one and not like the other. Engineering studies also requires you to do some projects such as reports within Year 11 and does require dedication and effort to do well in it. The people I see who enjoy this subject are those who are interested in Engineering and wish to pursue an engineering field such as aerospace or mechanical since the content does overlap, this subject served as a rude awakener to some of my friends who assumed they would be good in engineering because they were good in maths/phys.

Edit: I recommend choosing CAFs, its more easier comparatively and has content that might help in the long run since you learn about family structure and all that which has more overlap in than engineering. The people who excel in that subject are those who are able to organise their notes and can recite lines from what I've seen, you should be more than fine to do it. CAFs and PDHPE is a standard combo so you should be fine.
Yep. Don’t plan on doing engineering in the future so it does seem kind of pointless. CAFS seems to be the better option in this scenario.

Again, thank you all for your help! Alright then that’s about settled, however any additional advice anyone has to offer is also appreciated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)