Year 11/Senior Subject Selection (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hi all, I am new to BOS.
I am currently in year 10, and wanted to get subject selection advice.

The subjects I am aiming for are:
English Advanced (2)
Maths Advanced (2)
PDHPE Accelerated (HSC 2024) (2)
SOR II (compulsory religion, however I do have the option of doing SOR I or SCT) (2)
Modern History (2)
Legal Studies (2)

Is this a good choice? Is the overall workload manageable? I also have to select 4 reserves, and I'm not sure what to put down other than Economics (Ancient History and Biology???)
- doritocrackers

nsw..wollongong

HSC
theyre pretty good! as long as u enjoy them, ull excel in them, bc there's no point picking a subject that u wont study for bc u hate it. modern history and legal are both content heavy, ull def realise that as u near ur prelims but they're a good combo bc u can use the content from each subject to support the other. sor isn't as bad as u might think it is, ull def learn to like it. i have a couple of friends doing it, and all u rlly need to get the hang of is repeated practice (the exam questions are practically the same every year bc the syllabus isn't that complex and its so old).
for ur reserves, keep in mind that all of them are very content heavy. bio is more english than science imo, a lot of memorisation and not much application. econ is also a lot of memorisation.

HSC
modern history and legal are both content heavy, ull def realise that as u near ur prelims but they're a good combo bc u can use the content from each subject to support the other.
With Accelerated PDHPE, my school requires us to do study notes because of how content-heavy the course is. With the workload? Would I have time to do Study notes for some of the other content heavy subjects?

for ur reserves, keep in mind that all of them are very content heavy. bio is more english than science imo, a lot of memorisation and not much application. econ is also a lot of memorisation.
Do you know what the odds of getting a reserve subject is? How important is the choice of reserves - I can change them in year 11 iirc?

Thanks again :)

carrotsss

HSC
With Accelerated PDHPE, my school requires us to do study notes because of how content-heavy the course is. With the workload? Would I have time to do Study notes for some of the other content heavy subjects?
Don’t stress about it too much, you’d be better off neglecting your yr11 subjects a bit and focusing on PDHPE since yr11 doesn’t really matter anyway and so you can focus on your PDHPE HSC
Do you know what the odds of getting a reserve subject is? How important is the choice of reserves - I can change them in year 11 iirc?
It depends on your school, at smaller schools they’re quite common but at bigger schools with popular subjects it’s pretty rare. I’d make sure at least your first 2 reserves are subjects you’d actually be ok with doing

HSC
It depends on your school, at smaller schools they’re quite common but at bigger schools with popular subjects it’s pretty rare. I’d make sure at least your first 2 reserves are subjects you’d actually be ok with doing
From what I know of, MathADV has 3-4 classes. Out of my elective subjects (not incl Eng/RE/PDHPE) theres usually 1 class, but for Legal Studies I reckon there might be 2 classes for 1st time due to higher demand.

I think the reserves I will most likely do are Ancient, Bio, Geo.
(note the section for main subjects adds up to 14 units, so my last preference is Economics)

indeed

HSC
All your subjects are quite content-heavy, so yeah best to focus more on PDHPE study notes (i think it's alright to neglect the other study notes for prelim, as long as you understand the content as you go, and do some handwritten scribble notes to refresh prior to exams)
Accelerated subjects really benefit you in hsc though

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)