• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Year 11 selective entrance test (1 Viewer)

mkv_86

HSC
Hi guys im currently in year 10 in macquarie fields high school, planning to do try out for the following selective schools:

-North Sydney Boys High School
-Hurlstone Agricultural High School
-Sydney Technical High School

My question is, what type of questions comes in each school? Im curious to know so i can prepare myself for each criteria and what should i get for my school report for half yearly this year? i got 4 As and 4 Bs last year, is this enough? or is this too low? How many spots are available for each school?
Thank you!

coyazayo

HSC
For North Sydney Boys, the test is divided up into 3 sections (from previous experience). There is maths, English (analysing), and writing. For english, the writing topic as well as the comprehension is based around a theme. Mathematics is quite challenging however if you thoroughly understood all year 10 topics you should be set. For english I really dont have any tips for it but to just practice analysing texts thoroughly and quickly. Good luck!

mkv_86

HSC
Yes i did try out for fort street but i reckon its way too far away from my home

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
JUST TRY OUT for the lolz. Also try out for Sydney Boys

WildestDreams

HSC
For general ability test, just look out for IQ tests online. That's basically all it was when I did the test.
For English, practise comprehension questions, and writing out from unseen texts.
For Maths, make sure you revise your maths and science content - if you know your basics you can extend yourself.
Also work on your time management, the tests are really short.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Any idea where you could get sample practice tests for the Year 11 selective entrance test?
You literally can't find them at all. The best bet is to talk to people (on this forum) who have done entrance tests and ask them what was in the exam and from there you can make an exam (for english)

For maths, make exams based on year 7-10 content at a really hard level (with every single question being hard)

WildestDreams

HSC
Yeah, you can go on the website - but it depends on the school you are applying for because they each have different tests. For example, North Sydney Girls High School, Hornsby Girls High School, Northern Beaches Secondary College Manly Campus and St George Girls High School and Girraween High School do the HAST exam, so you can go on their website and buy the test papers.

jennifernguyen

HSC
Within the letter from Hurlstone when you pay for the entrance exam, it says "90 minute literacy, science, Agriculture and numeracy" and we aren't allow to use calculators... Does that mean there is going to be Agriculture in the exam??? I'm so scared for the exam, ohmygod

Jolteon

HSC
Hey, I'm also applying for a selective school this year and the exam is pretty close actually haha.
I'm actually not too confident about my last semester's report, I had a whooping 4 Bs in all core subjects and moving to a better school seems so impossible. But I've improved heaps this semester and managed to get 2 Bs. (Still not so great). One of my school's entrance exam also requires the HAST and I heard that the maths is really different to the 5.3 maths that I'm doing at school rn.
I just want some genuine advice and comment on my reports and whether or not it'll affect my application. (I do alot of volunteering and I've got a few distinctions in competitions if that helps).

Thank you in advance, and goodluck MKV for your entrance exam!

WildestDreams

HSC
Hey, I'm also applying for a selective school this year and the exam is pretty close actually haha.
I'm actually not too confident about my last semester's report, I had a whooping 4 Bs in all core subjects and moving to a better school seems so impossible. But I've improved heaps this semester and managed to get 2 Bs. (Still not so great). One of my school's entrance exam also requires the HAST and I heard that the maths is really different to the 5.3 maths that I'm doing at school rn.
I just want some genuine advice and comment on my reports and whether or not it'll affect my application. (I do alot of volunteering and I've got a few distinctions in competitions if that helps).

Just do really well in the HAST exam. Your reports won't matter too much. Sure it can give you that extra edge, but it isn't the 'end all' thing that determines your selective. B isn't actually too bad, you just need to improve a little more and you should be able to make it in, given that you put in the effort :) Also getting distinction is pretty good, but if you don't do well in the HAST exam, your chance of getting in may be lowered.

Oh and you do know that the Maths isn't just Maths? Its a maths and science test, keep that in mind - this surprises some people in tests.

Best of luck in your exam :)

WildestDreams

HSC

Just do really well in the HAST exam. Your reports won't matter too much. Sure it can give you that extra edge, but it isn't the 'end all' thing that determines your selective. B isn't actually too bad, you just need to improve a little more and you should be able to make it in, given that you put in the effort :) Also getting distinction is pretty good, but if you don't do well in the HAST exam, your chance of getting in may be lowered.

Oh and you do know that the Maths isn't just Maths? Its a maths and science test, keep that in mind - this surprises some people in tests.

Jolteon

HSC

Hey thank you so much! I'll be sure to brush up on my scientific knowledge to. You seem to know a lot about the HAST, any tips for the Fort Street exam by any chance? :) I'm also taking that exam and I'm still quite nervous since it's closer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)