Year 11 prem- need some serious help and answers please (1 Viewer)

georgia177

HSC
Hi I’m new to all this ☺

I have a few serious questions that need decent answers. I’m currently attending a public school that is ranked 400 and something previously I attended a private girls school that was ranked 80 in the state. I feel that my school lacks informing me of the information I need.

I currently am doing Year 11 Prem : English Advance, English Extension, Biology, Legal Studies, General Maths, Community and Family Studies and Hospitality (TVET).

My ranks:
- English Advance 2nd in year
- English Extension (n/a)
- Biology (n/a)
- Legal Studies 2nd in year
- General Maths (n/a)
- Community & Family Studies (3rd in year)
- Hospitality (n/a)

=Average Band 5

Atar Goal 85-95
Degree: Law or Medical Science

Question: 1
I don’t know if to drop English Extension next year and Hospitality and focus on getting higher marks in 5 subjects or keep English Extension? Or should I keep Hospitality? Which would scale higher?

Question: 2
Will I be affected by attending a low ranking school if my co-hort lack motivation in most subjects?

Question: 3
How do I potentially maximize my marks and reach an atar of 90+? Am I in the right subjects too? If I come in the top 3 in the year will I have a chance of 90+? Right now my average band is 5. What were peoples ways to maximize marks!!!

Question: 4
Since I attend school in a rural area I’m eligible for five extra bonus point. Say I got 85, the uni cut of was 90 and five extra bonus point were add. Would I be on the same level as someone who scored 90 or a second option.

Question: 5
Which uni offer early entry into these subjects in NSW.
How can I make myself more eligible for a uni position?

Question: 6
In the long run what would be a better degree Law or Medical Science? Which one will benefit me more e.g less hours, more money, better lifestyle. I aspire to be a high-income earner with alot of hard work but I know its not the end all be all.

Thank you for any answers :*

HSC
hello! i'm in year 11 as well, i'm obv not an expert but i can answer a few of your questions, from the replies ive read from other bos-ers around here :)

1) i am quite (over 90%) certain eng ext 1 will scale better. you could find one of those scaling lists/charts thing. i don't think they are similar scaling subjects, i do think that english ext will scale quite a lot better than hospitality. but not 100% sure :3

2) as long as you put in effort and sufficient motivation into your own work, and rank high in all your subjects, preferably first, then that will not affect you.

3) even though i'm in year 11, so i don't have much experience, but i would say for maths and sciences do many practice questions. grasp the concepts so well that when you flip open any book with practice questions you can do them well. i don't do any of your other subjects (except english) but i suck at it so...

4) according to the uac booklet, you will be the same level.

sorry i can't answer anything else/be very certain about my answers! good luck for your hscs :)

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
1. If you are honestly enjoying extension english, coping well and getting results. I'd suggest you stick with the subjects because you'll most likely improve exponentially, based on the statistics of Board Of Studies, there are a large number of NSW every year which receives E3-E4 bands.
2. If you are first or close to first as possible, the lowest mark won't scale you down as much.
3. There is no honest way to tell if you're a 'band 5' or 'band 6' student in preliminaries, since you're not putting 100% effort in, your cohort isnt putting in 100%, your mindset in each subject hasnt peaked.
4. the interpretation of 'same level' is open up to assumptions. Assuming you'd say your as intelligent as someone who got in without EAS, thats pretty inaccurate since HSCs is pretty much a game. If you play it well, check all the points (which is pretty much mastering the dot point syllabus), then your atar will be higher than someone who didnt play it as well.
5. You get extra points for applying for a field related to your subjects in senior years. e.g. chemical engineers may receive 3 extra points for getting a band 6 in chemistry during HSC - apply for fields related to your strongest subjects will make you more eligible
6. medical science is pretty much a dead end course if you plan to do it alone with no post grad (i have a lot of friends doing this course) so you'd end up having to do research without post grad degree. Law is quite difficult because it depends all on the market really.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)