YEAR 11 is it as BRUTAL as people say? Can someone answer that ? (1 Viewer)

Tom123456789

HSC
N/A
Im really worried and anxious about Year 11. I hear people all the time say that they have to much work and its too hard. Can someone give some tips or help for year 11? I know that they are different people to me and might find different things harder then me. I have to find out for myself but I just need some reassuring. They ask me what subjects have I picked and then I tell them and they say it is to hard for me and to much but my teachers say that I can do it. Im so confused and its really getting to me.

laura-jayne14

HSC
Uni Grad
Don't worry about what other people think, do what you want to do? I'm not going to lie, year eleven was an adjustment but it was all part of the process. The workload is a big step so make sure you manage your time effectively. What in particular are you worried about? Here is some things that I've found helpful:
- prioritize your time
- start your homework/assignments as soon as you get them
- take time out of your week to make study notes of what you've done
- stay motivated
- take a break
- get as much help from teachers as you can
- talk to someone if you are unhappy/stressed
- start studying early for exams
What subjects are you doing in particular? I may be able to help you further...
Feel free to message me :) I am happy to help... Good luck!

historia

HSC
It's honestly not that bad, tbh I think people hype it up way too much. Yes, it is a bit of an adjustment but if you're organised and don't leave things to the last minute you'll be fine. Also, remember to have fun. Biggest mistake I made was over-hyping year 11 and doing a lot less of stuff I like to do (going out with friends etc.) Just remember that to do well you need to have a balance, don't let schoolwork take over your life. Also, try to concentrate on English because if you can get the habit of writing good essays/ creatives and getting feedback from your teacher then you'll be in good stead for year 12. Best of luck.

historia

HSC
Also, as the person above me said, don't worry about what other people say/ do. I had a big problem with doing this and kept comparing what I was doing to everyone else, but at the end of the day you need to run your own race and do what you feel you need to do. Realising this really helped me last year because I started studying/ working how I do so best, not just based off of what others do/ tell you to do. And as for the difficulty of your subjects. sure some of them are hard, but nothing is ever as difficult as people make it out to be.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Im really worried and anxious about Year 11.
Don't worry, you are not the only one and it is a normal feeling:)

I hear people all the time say that they have to much work and its too hard.
This is probably due to the fact these people did not have good time management and wasn't prepared for the greater workload and higher expectations of year 11 compared to junior high school.

Can someone give some tips or help for year 11?
Check out my response to this thread:
http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=316694&p=6490723#post6490723

It basically covers study tips for your science subjects(if you do any of the sciences, i.e biology, chemistry, physics), it has links to threads including my responses on how to maximise your marks in English advanced-can be applicable to English standard since what I am writing is about skills and study techniques, rather than specific modules. It has links to other threads where my response will tell you how to study efficiently and smart during the senior years-for both school term and your holiday. I think if you read through my response and go through my responses in the links within my responses, you will find a lot of tips to help ease the transition to senior high school:)

They ask me what subjects have I picked and then I tell them and they say it is to hard for me and to much but my teachers say that I can do it. Im so confused and its really getting to me.

Who cares about what other people think, care about what you think-HAVE FAITH IN YOUR ABILITIES, with PASSION, PERSEVERANCE and PERSISTENT OPTIMISTIC ATTITUDE you will be able to maximise your chance of achieving your ATAR aim/university course/marks you want. YOUR ATTITUDE DETERMINES an ENORMOUS part of your success over the next two years-never ever give up and give everything your best shot and you will be a winner:)

If you have any more questions-feel free to PM me-all my best wishes for your next two years-remember to not stressed out too much and smile:)

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Im really worried and anxious about Year 11. I hear people all the time say that they have to much work and its too hard. Can someone give some tips or help for year 11? I know that they are different people to me and might find different things harder then me. I have to find out for myself but I just need some reassuring. They ask me what subjects have I picked and then I tell them and they say it is to hard for me and to much but my teachers say that I can do it. Im so confused and its really getting to me.
Lol

dim-sims

HSC
For me personally I didn't really feel like it was a huge leap from junior years.

I feel like one thing that you should try and keep in perspective is that none of your marks in year 11 count towards your ATAR.

Now don't get me wrong, you should still and put everything you've got into the work but try not to beat yourself up about an exam mark (easier said that done, I know. I still think about my legal exam where I could have taken first place if I hadn't changed the answer of two multiple choice questions). But my point is the classic tip: "learn from your mistakes" (although I kept getting told by teachers not to change answers to multiple choice answers at the end, I did it anyway. So really I learned the lesson the hard way). Also if you don't understand something in any of subjects definitely get help from a teacher because that's what they get paid to do and don't be afraid to ask for help.

Remember year 11 is basically a test run for the HSC so try and figure out what works for you in terms of study methods (flash cards, highlighters, mind maps etc).

Oh yeah another thing I had to learn the hard way: try and do summary notes progressively as opposed to writing them a week before exams. You could dedicate time on the weekend to do them or do them when you get home from school.

And last but certainly not least, just screw what everyone else thinks do things for yourself and not anyone else.

tl;dr
1. Do summary notes progressively
2. Find out what study methods work for you
3. Learn from your mistakes
4. Don't be afraid to get help from teachers because that's what they're paid to do (people seem to forget that).
5. Screw what everyone else says because you CAN do it
6. None of your marks in year 11 count towards your ATAR.

Good luck ^_^

Last edited:

Dachsy

HSC
N/A
It might be a bit difficult in the beginning but you'll get used to it. It's not that brutal; if you are majorly confused about something there's always teachers there to help you. People might start getting a bit competitive but just try your best to ignore them. Don't forget your 'free' periods (if you have them) --- use them productively to get through your work load (the workload did go up for me but on the plus side you get less of a variety of subjects to study for). You might end up being one of those industrious people who finish quality work in short periods. But really, don't worry. If you worry throughout yr 11 (like I did) chances are that you will end up face-palming at yourself in year 12. Remember, year 12 is the real deal and year 11 is just there to experiment on study/exam techniques. Good luck and relax your brain.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)