Year 11 Advanced English - Area of Study (1 Viewer)

karnoganguli

HSC
We just did the outsider theme and now we've started on Othello. Anyone else studying one of Shakepspeare's many dramas (i won't say if its a bad thing).

Heffo10: stick to advanced till the end of year 11 and see how you go. If you don't do too well then drop down. BUT: consult a teacher before you do (preferably your teacher (duh) and the head of english).

First post ever (on this forum!!!)

Last edited:

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
karnoganguli said:
We just did the outsider theme and now we've started on Othello. Anyone else studying one of Shakepspeare's many dramas (i won't say if its a bad thing).

Heffo10: stick to advanced till the end of year 11 and see how you go. If you don't do too well then drop down. BUT: consult a teacher before you do (preferably your teacher (duh) and the head of english).

First post ever (on this forum!!!)
Welcome to BoS, karnoganguli.
I'm starting Othello this week, and should have read the play already, but my usual nature is to start things the day before it needs to be done by :p

nicoled161

HSC
We did Relationships, but I think that's over now. Good thing too, it was incredibly boring. I don't think I've ever learnt less in a subject in my entire life. To me, the whole thing was making stuff up. Now we're doing Othello but I think that's just because we do a Shakespeare every year (we just finished Taming of the Shrew in Extension 1).
I'm finding Extension 1 much more interesting and relevant than Advanced.

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
Welcome to BoS, nicoled161.
nicoled161 said:
I'm finding Extension 1 much more interesting and relevant than Advanced
Same here. At least in extension english I understand what my teacher is talking about, even if I don't get the text itself. In advanced, I don't have a clue what is happening, so I just tune out.

vizman

HSC
FranzFerdinand said:
True for me too. Even though we don't learn anything in either subject. *cough* teacher never turns up *cough*
lol extension 1 for me has been pretty crap this year - primarily attributed to the knob of a teacher i have :burn:

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
what the hell? at macfields high we've done "power in gender relations"( i never want to hear about sylvia plath ever again in my life) and now we're just finishing off utopia/dystopia ( utopia is the most retarded book and pleansantville is a kickarse movie) and we're going to finish off with othello.

karnoganguli

HSC
Same here, i find ext. much more interesting than ye old advanced. Thanks for the warm welcome soulsearcher (and anybody else who welcomed me). My teacher is annoying but he does teach us and give us very easy essay questions (half yearlies).

filo_romz

HSC
i just finishd doing espionage .. and now im dreading this next area of study .. shakespeare .. *shivers* im never really a fan of his work .. *sigh* now i gotta study othello .. ahhhhh
good thing the assessment for this topic is a group task ! =D yay and its acting out a scene or something .. woo

HSC
We've just finished Justice, with the text "The Crucible". Now we're doing celebration poetry.

HSC
i think we're doing brave new world next year.. i've already read it. and i loved it. i like stories of social engineering in the not too distant future.

Last edited:

go-anna89

HSC
Last term we finished Power and Gender relations, with a heap of Sylvia Plath and now we are doing Utopia/Dystopia but nearly finished. Next is Othello (i've done it indrama previously so should be cinch)
My school seems to be extremely left-field when it comes to selecting its Area of Studies and its really annoying

tmde1st

HSC
go-anna89 said:
Last term we finished Power and Gender relations, with a heap of Sylvia Plath and now we are doing Utopia/Dystopia but nearly finished. Next is Othello (i've done it indrama previously so should be cinch)
My school seems to be extremely left-field when it comes to selecting its Area of Studies and its really annoying
I hate it when teacher choose the AoS's that nobody wants to now about. i hate the choices our teacher makes

phatinc

HSC
We're doing The Human Condition...like wtf, i have no clue what that means, supposedly it's anything to do with humans...but how do you put that into words?

I hate it when teacher choose the AoS's that nobody wants to now about. i hate the choices our teacher makes
same here, but then again what choice do we have but to sit through this? At least some of the texts that we're doing aren't that bad

eg the talented mr ripley....MATT DAMON!
(which is contrasted by our second text, the great gatsby *shudder* sooooo horrible)

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
Does the school have a range of choices for the AoS or something? Or could they just decide on a topic? o.0

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)