y are the prelims yearlies best indicator for HSC? (1 Viewer)

Neurox

HSC
hey guyz...

i do 3 unit maths and 3 unit english. i dont wanna drop them and i wanna do 4unit maths. both told me how important the prelim yearlies are for indicating whether i should stay or do 4units. what is so important about yearlies? well i know they are yearlies but surely they wont base everything on it? because i am afraid i might go shit in these exams and then they will say dont do 4unit maths and just drop 3unit?

also my maths teacher said the topics we are doing now (parametrics, further trig, and integration) are so vital for 3unit and 4unit studies and this final test will be the deciding factor. is this biased? i am struggling much with trig and i think if i fail this test he wont accept me,,,

Neurox

HSC
if i want to do extension 2 maths then what topics are most important for it in 3unit? my tutor said trig, integration, and parabola (polynomial stuff and the locus stuff) are the most important. but i heard there are completely new topics that will blow my mind away if i dont do consistant work?

undalay

HSC
Just trust your teacher. They know best ( usually ). Yeah that sounds about right. Our 4u acceptence test was based on trig / functions.

Neurox

HSC
dood that is so rigged. since when does ext 2 need that much trig? trig is just cos, sin, tan on the calculator.

Neurox

HSC
if i fail this test can the teacher tecnhically reject me from ext2?

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
well like in 3u HSC, there are kinda like 3 topics based on trig, which is quite a lot IMHO. I guess if you are unable to get your head around prelim trig, it is really not recommeded that you go on to do HSC trig.

To the original question, I don't believe that your prelims are THE BEST indicator, but I mean they do play a part in showing your understanding of the work you've done throughout the year and the HSC isn't going to get any easier, so being able to do well in prelim IS a good indication that there is a good chance of you doing good in the HSC.

That being said, even if you failed 3u prelim maths, by all means you could still ace 4u in year 12. The chances of that happening though are quite low. I think that's just what your teachers are saying. They can't stop you from doing a subject you want can they?

Kujah

HSC
N/A
We don't have an acceptance test for 4u. But we do have a grading exam in week 7/8 of Term 1 on what we would've learnt so far, and it kicks the students who have utterly failed it. Our 3U teacher recommends us getting at least 70% in our tests to do it. Funnily enough, he said probabaly 10 people would do it, and by the end of the year, 7 people would have dropped it :/

undalay

HSC
If they reject you from 4u, you can simply appeal or complain, and usually that is enough for them to allow you into 4u.

Neurox said:
dood that is so rigged. since when does ext 2 need that much trig? trig is just cos, sin, tan on the calculator.
If trig is 'just' cos, sin, tan, then why aren't you aceing it? Theres alot of stuff around trig, if you can't comprehend year 11 trig concepts, you may reconsider your desire to do 4u.

Neurox

HSC
TRIG IS NOT IN EXTENSION 2 MATHS. TRIG IS YEAR 10 work mate. get ur facts right before posting ridiculous statements of the board curriculum.

poWerdrY

HSC
undalay said:
If they reject you from 4u, you can simply appeal or complain, and usually that is enough for them to allow you into 4u.
that definetly wont help in my scool, u hafta be in top 4 classes to get in. u could always try a correspondence course, which is probably what im gonna do since i dont think i made it. i hear that you get the course stuff sent to your home. the only problem is, you'll have to sit through 2,3 and 4 U exams as well as go to 2U lessons =$

Neurox

HSC
4unit maths is like physics. see thats nothing related to trig. 4unit maths is hard because it moves away from stuff like algebra and trig and moves towards fundamental aspects of mathematics.

poWerdrY

HSC
Neurox said:
TRIG IS NOT IN EXTENSION 2 MATHS. TRIG IS YEAR 10 work mate. get ur facts right before posting ridiculous statements of the board curriculum.
you should get your gacts strait. you really dont know how stupid your comment sounds. sif trig is unimportant. most forms of geometry and 3d calculations involve trig. transformations and all that stuff involves knowledge of trig identities. if u think trig is simply yr 10 work, then its my hat off to you mate, coz either ur a real genius or just a poser

Kujah

HSC
N/A
No, not just Year 10 work. You learn about trigonometric equations, 3D trigonometry, further trigonometry (double angle formulae, half angle formulae, sum and differences etc) and inverse trigonometric functions in 3U maths.

In 4U, you do alot further integration on trigonometric functions, inverse ones and other aspects that are related to trig. You also do Further 3U in Extension 2, and some of the stuff is related to the trigonometry you learn in Extension 1.

Stop dissing people who are trying to help you :/

Neurox

HSC
poWerdrY said:
that definetly wont help in my scool, u hafta be in top 4 classes to get in. u could always try a correspondence course, which is probably what im gonna do since i dont think i made it. i hear that you get the course stuff sent to your home. the only problem is, you'll have to sit through 2,3 and 4 U exams as well as go to 2U lessons =$
wth. you have 3 4unit classes? we only have 1 this year in yr12 and it only has like 15 people. thats rigged because u have to do it by outside. are the classes full or something? whats the maximum number of students per ext2 maths class? same as any other class or is it different coz its harder?

Neurox

HSC
Kujah said:
No, not just Year 10 work. You learn about trigonometric equations, 3D trigonometry, further trigonometry (double angle formulae, half angle formulae, sum and differences etc) and inverse trigonometric functions in 3U maths.

In 4U, you do alot further integration on trigonometric functions, inverse ones and other aspects that are related to trig. You also do Further 3U in Extension 2, and some of the stuff is related to the trigonometry you learn in Extension 1.

Stop dissing people who are trying to help you :/
ok maybe im wrong. i was thinking of stuff like mechanics, complex numbers and volumes which have no relation to trig at all. so sorry if i was causing any confusion with you people.

poWerdrY

HSC
Neurox said:
wth. you have 3 4unit classes? we only have 1 this year in yr12 and it only has like 15 people. thats rigged because u have to do it by outside. are the classes full or something? whats the maximum number of students per ext2 maths class? same as any other class or is it different coz its harder?
i think its 4 classes, the top 90 get in. i dont know what the max is, but i think its pretty close to the normal classes ><

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Neurox said:
ok maybe im wrong. i was thinking of stuff like mechanics, complex numbers and volumes which have no relation to trig at all. so sorry if i was causing any confusion with you people.
No problem ;) If you think you are capable of 4U, try it. The school can't reject you or prevent you from doing it, and you will never know how 4U is like if you don't try ;) Good luck :)

Neurox

HSC
Lucid Scintilla said:
Does it matter that Kujah's school has three Ext II Maths classes?
What, sorry?

Check BoS for details about Ext II Maths, if that's what you're after.

Hey, it works similarly to how a great many perceive free speech; do whatever, and sue whenever you're denied of your right of free speech! Perhaps we could even introduce "da fif' amen'ment".

Sure they can; they can't, however, do so without reason.
Um... "no relation"... no?

There's a topic called "Graphs", right?
-_- so what is your point. are you saying that trig is in it or not in it?

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
My school (being selective) has 5 3unit classes. By next year it should be 2-3 4unit, and 2-3 3unit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)