Xylem and Phloem (1 Viewer)

gothicretaliate

Can anyone give me some info on Xylem and Phloem? it should be the last dot point of the second topic in Maintaining a Balance.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
gothicretaliate said:
Can anyone give me some info on Xylem and Phloem? it should be the last dot point of the second topic in Maintaining a Balance.
i will get u started:

xylem: carries water in an up direction (ie from roots to other parts)
phloem carries food from leaves to every other part...

there's more info... try research a lil, in ur txt books, on this forum etc...

miss_b

still obsessed...
HSC
Pholem is the tissue found in vascular plants involved in the two way movement of nutrients, photosynthetic products and hormones up and down the plant.
Pholem has:
-sieve tubes
-sieve plates
-companion cells
-sclerenchyma fibres

The pholem and the xylem tissue are in the vascular bundle of the plant.

The xylem transports water from roots to leaves via transpiration stream.

Hmm....just wondering, have you actually read your text yet?

:)

Last edited:

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
just so you know, you do not need to know too in-depth about the structure of xylem of phloem, just know the main functions, their general morphology, such as xylems, which are dead tubes (bascially consist of cell walls); while phloems are living, consisting of sieve tubes and plates, and companion cells. Don't worry too much about sclerenchyma and other supporting tissues (parenchyma, fibres...). They are insignificant in relation to the HSC syllabus.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
gloria_b said:
Pholem is the tissue found in vascular plants involved in the two way movement of nutrients, photosynthetic products and hormones up and down the plant.
Downward translocation is more common. Think about where in the plant that need glucose the most. Translocation only goes up in certain time/season when glucose is needed for making flowers etc.

P

pLuvia

my teacher said this is a good way of remembering the functions of the xylem and phloem

water zips up the xylem
food flops down the phloem
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

s0k0y0e0

HSC
kadlil said:
my teacher said this is a good way of remembering the functions of the xylem and phloem

water zips up the xylem
food flops down the phloem
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
he he; that's cute! :) AND easy to remember! :uhhuh:

P

pLuvia

the food flops down the phloem doesnt really like.. not really true as the energy flows to any part of the plant that needs it, that's one thing you should keep in mind :)

butterflybird

HSC
just type xylem and/or phloem into google and there's heaps of stuff including diagrams
if you want straightforward strictly hsc info theres always hsc online. easy stuff.
and in our trials we had to draw and label xylem and phloem - haha oh that was amusing... inventive even.

pottsy1000

Prac

does any1 remember doing the prac to draw the xylem and phloem... i was away that day and never got to do it. please help me...

danieljarvis

HSC
just check diagrams in your workbooks..

if not draw simple simple diagrams ( longtitudinal or XS depending on whats asked ) and remember to label

Phloem - Sieve tube ( the main cell ) , Sieve plate ( end of sieve tube, and perforated ( holes in it ) ) and Companion cells ( small cell accompanying the outer wall of Phloem cells )

Xylem - Vessel Cell ( main part of cell ) and Tracheids ( around vessel cells )

keep them simple, with easy to see labels :D

Watsername

HSC
Can anyone help me with those longitudinal drawings of the xylem and phloem, I have photos in my text book, but I have no idea how I would draw it in an exam?????

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)