Xbox 360 Q&A with Stussy (1 Viewer)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
I will be receiving my xbox 360 on wednesday/thursday (friday at THE VERY LATEST, as it was sent via global priority mail on Thursday in the US (Friday here). It is supposed to take 3-5 days, but due to it being holiday season, I would anticipate 5 days to be the realistic figure.

Anyway, I will be answering all your questions (well, the ones that I can answer) shortly after.

So, post any of your questions here and I will keep updating my original post with answers.

Games receiving:
Call of Duty 2
Project Gotham Racing 3
Madden 2006 (coming around Thursday)
Perfect Dark Zero Limited Edition (coming around Friday)

Stas.

Do you have a standard def or hi-def tv?

I have a SDTV. However, for the 360, I will be using my monitor primarily (as I want the HD experience). Gamespot had some comparisons and the difference b/w hdtv and sdtv is massive!

Please post your first reaction to the games quality etc and compatibility with the TV along with any problems that might and possibly will occur I think BOSers want the real inside news not the glossed up version *wink.

...coming soon...

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Bullet International Dispatch, December 23, 2005, 8:16 pm, Chicago (O'Hare) AMC
Bullet Enroute, December 23, 2005, 8:14 pm, CHICAGO, IL 60666
Bullet Enroute, December 22, 2005, 6:41 pm, GRAND RAPIDS, MI 49599
Bullet Acceptance, December 22, 2005, 1:55 pm, SHELBYVILLE, MI 49344

Your item left the United States from Chicago (O'Hare) AMC at 8:16 pm on December 23, 2005. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later.

Just realised, this has been updated.
Brilliant :D This means my fears of them keeping it in the US to time it so that the parcel comes into Australia after the public holidays (adding an extra day) were unfounded.

Worst case scenario: Mon: Dispatch from another international mail centre on Monday (tues here). Arrives in AU customs on what is Wednesday here. Customs holds it for 2 days (due to large mail quantities during holidays). I get it on Friday.

Best case scenario: Mon - arrives in Australia (and held in storage). Wednesday delivered to customs. Thursday, I get it.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
politik said:
It usually takes about a week for items I buy from USA to arrive.
yes. i know that. It takes 3-5 days for EMS (which is the option I'm using)

placebo101

HSC
do you have a standard def or hi-def tv?

i know games will look best on hdtv, but i wanna hear wat some1 has to say about sdtv who has never experienced hdtv.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Please post your first reaction to the games quality etc and compatibility with the TV along with any problems that might and possibly will occur I think BOSers want the real inside news not the glossed up version *wink.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
OMGOMOMOMGG!!! :D :D :D

Label/Receipt Number: EQ15 4315 249U S

Your item cleared customs at 1:08 pm on December 26, 2005.

Bullet Out of Foreign Customs, December 26, 2005, 1:08 pm
Bullet Into Foreign Customs, December 26, 2005, 12:30 pm, AUSTRALIA
Bullet Arrived Abroad, December 26, 2005, 12:29 pm, AUSTRALIA

Kid admin - will do that :)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
also, feel free to ask game-related questions (updated above with list of games)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Your item arrived at the delivery Post Office in AUSTRALIA at 9:59 am on December 27, 2005.

Bullet At Foreign Delivery Unit, December 27, 2005, 9:59 am, AUSTRALIA
Bullet Out of Foreign Customs, December 26, 2005, 1:08 pm, AUSTRALIA
Bullet Into Foreign Customs, December 26, 2005, 12:30 pm, AUSTRALIA
Bullet Arrived Abroad, December 26, 2005, 12:29 pm, AUSTRALIA

Tomorrow it is then :)

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
stazi said:
Perfect Dark Zero Limited Edition (coming around Friday)
Can't wait to hear your reaction to this game as that was on of the reason why I bought an Xbox in anticipation for this game although it didn't come out on Xbox it is on Xbox 360 depending on how good this and other games might be purchasing an Xbox 360 but we shall see....

stazi

Nightman
HSC
sorry for the delay in the impressions, but this console is amazing. I thought I overhyped it for myself, but this console is ten times better than I expected.
I agreed with the sentiments that no games on the 360 are truly 'next gen'. I now can officially take this back. I can't even imagine how morrowind and ghost recon 3 will look like if the launch games are this amazing.

Full impressions will come after I can tear myself away from the console, go to work, celebrate new years, recover from a hangover, etc.
So perhaps on the 2nd January.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I think you mean oblivion, and RPG's are made for PC's, noob ;)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
withoutaface said:
I think you mean oblivion, and RPG's are made for PC's, noob ;)
that's the one :p
and RPGs are made for PCs? Final fantasy? KOTOR? Jade Empire? Etc etc etc etc etc.
Oblivion is getting made primarily for the 360 and then ported to the PC.
It'll be hawt like my anus.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
The 360:
When you turn it on you are transported to an online integrated experience like no other. It must be seen to be believed but everything you do is online. Downloading a demo, hell someone looking in their friends list (on the internet, or on their xbox) sees what you're doing. Want to check out what your friend accomplished as their last 360 game achievement? Go right ahead and hit the guide button.
You can now send messages (voice or text) to other people to ask them to play you or whatever you want. You can also invite them into private chats.
The beauty of this is that unlike the previous xbox where if youre chatting to someone and
you put in a game disc, the chat turns off and xbox live needs to be signed into again. Here the console is always online. The chat continues between games, no matter what you do. You are always going to be online (unless you don't want live, which is a stupid thing to not want :p). Even in single player, you get achievements and things (as you can see in my sig - click if you want) which get uploaded.

General Visuals:
I had to start my 360 experience on the first day using only a standard def TV. I heard that 'next-gen' looks very 'current-gen' without HD. Whoever said that is moronic. I was amazed after playing PGR3 and CoD2. However, the following day when i connected it to my 19" VGA monitor (not wide screen unfortunatelly :() I ejaculated in my pants. HD is amazing. It brought tears to my eyes. Just wow. That's all I can say.

PDZ:
Ok, well at first play I hated it. I played through the training mission and it seemed to be missing something. The graphics were also very 'xbox 1'.
So I tried an online game and had heaps of fun with it. It was a good feel with fast gameplay (although the map was a bit confusing to navigate). There is a lot of variety and innovation with the weapons (for example this one gun that blurrs the screen completely of the player it hits. The alternate fire mode (if held) makes the opponents allies look exactly like enemies).
Nonetheless, the single player aspect felt me unsatisfied and I went back to PGR3 (LOVE IT :D)

2 days later I decided to pop the game in again (today). The first 'real' mission came on and I can say that the graphics are brilliant! The gameplay is also heaps and heaps and heaps of fun. It just has that 'thing' that makes shooters fun to play. It felt a bit like timesplitters (I've never played Goldeneye, PD on N64). I especially love the dying animations. It's very arcadey and unrealistic but that's what makes it great (although the action I suppose could still be a little bit faster).
I will have to post more impressions after I'm done with more than 2 missions :p

PGR3:
I've been playing this game 80% of the time. I just love it. Gorgeous visuals and fun gameplay. Online it's a blast. Offline it's a blast. Just brilliant :) I won't comment that much on this game as it's a game that lives up to everything that was said about it. WHat you think you'll get is what you will get. However, the loading times are shocking :( Also, it wasn't as polished as it could be [rushed problem with many launch titles]

Madden 06:
Well, the good thing is that the graphics made me ejaculate all over every peice of furniture in the house. The animations are unpararelled by anything I've ever seen. Just so real. However, the game is missing too much. They only got like 3 features from the xbox/ps2 version and ported it. Then removed some key parts of the actual games (Can't challenge plays anymore). EA uses servers because theyre dicks and the lag playing online with americans is too much. I've never had this problem in any other games.
Madden 07 will be amazing on the 360/ps3 but for now, this will have to suffice.

CoD2:
This was going to be my most played game, however, is turning out to be the least. Not that the game is bad (well, online it is). But the other games have amazed me so much. I will def go back to CoD2 soon> The graphics are exceptional. The sound is brilliant and very immersive. 5.1 all the way :) It's an amazing game.

NBA Live 06 demo:
Great graphics, poor animation. It seemed like the players were skating. ANd they ALWAYS look forward no matter where the ball is :p

Kameo demo:
I didn't like it. I know many others (as old as 40 year olds) who love this game. It does look beautiful and everything but for some reason it just didnt click with me. But I can understand why some may idolise it.

Condemned demo:
Almost photorealistic graphics in parts. Honestly scary. I will be getting this game.

I am also getting Amped 3 soon due to what I heard about the storyline.

Overall impressions:
I agreed that the launch line up was poor. I identified only 2 good games: PGR3 and CoD2. The rest, as I thought, would be terrible. I have proven myself wrong. It is a common thought (and I've been guilty of it) that 'next-gen' isn't here with the launch titles. Well, it is here. If this isn't next-gen, I don't know what is. What sends shivers down my spine is that I have only played underworked titles. 6 months down the track, I can't even imagine how amazing the games will be.

RATINGS:
Xbox 360 console (incl xbl, accessories etc): 9/10. Some minor functionality issues that i'm sure will be patched.
PGR3: 8/10. Whilst this game amazes me, I love playing it, every time I put the disc in I smile, it's not quite that polished (antialiasing doesnt exist) and the load times are off putting. If I wasn't a harsh reviewer I'd give it a 9/10, though. This may well be my fave game on this console thus far.
Madden 06: 4/10. Yes, it looks great. Yes, it's fun. But where are all the modes? Why can't I challenge plays? Why do I get so much lag online? etc etc
CoD2: *would prefer to abstain from rating it for now*
PDZ: *as above*

This has been a true non-fanboy assessment of the 360. It has surpassed all my wildest expectations. I am honestly amazed with it.

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
click here said:
How much did you get it for?
For the xbox 360 itself, as well as global priority shipping from the US (3-5 days), it cost me AU$800.
The stepdown transformer cost me about $220 (but I got a 1000W, although a 500W one would suffice).

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
stazi said:
that's the one :p
and RPGs are made for PCs? Final fantasy? KOTOR? Jade Empire? Etc etc etc etc etc.
Oblivion is getting made primarily for the 360 and then ported to the PC.
It'll be hawt like my anus.
Oblivion has been in production for PC for a lot longer than for 360, and if you'd played morrowind on both PC and xbox you'd see that mouse pwns all for inventory access.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
you do know you can get a mouse for the 360 if you absolutely want. I'm perfectly happy with a controller though. It doesn't make much difference using the triggers to skip pages and the joystick to navigate through the items.

Spikeru

St. Mère Église church tower, danglin....
HSC
stazi said:
you do know you can get a mouse for the 360 if you absolutely want. I'm perfectly happy with a controller though. It doesn't make much difference using the triggers to skip pages and the joystick to navigate through the items.
A mouse can be used for the 360, but mouse support for games is not native to the console, it needs to be included by the specific games developer. Considering the extra effort required, I think that most 360 dev's will stick to their primarily controller loving fanbase (peeps who love ramming the Xbox controller up their ass while firing the Warthog's minigun). Until Microsoft realises that a controller is not the most efficient control method, they can go and fuck themselves wads of your money for all I care.

As for Live, if I wanted to pay to be insulted with large font, a crappy interface and a community made up of people too normal and friendly to be a part of any real online comm, I'd go down to the local Mormon libary and browse their selection of bibles in the 'Large Print' section.

The Xbox took Halo from the PC and made it shit, the 360 better not do the same with Oblivion and Fallout 3.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)