WWI was predicted to be long a tedious by who? (1 Viewer)

googled

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
WWI was predicted to be long war by who?

WWI was predicted to be long a tedious by whom?

I'm doing some research into this, and was wandering if anyone could point me in the right direction, preferably in regards to exerts.

Thanks in advanced,

Googled

Last edited:
HSC
von Moltke predicted earlier before WWI that all future conflicts would include long battles of attrition, where one nation would wear the other one out ... the caveat was that the winning nation would also be extremely worn out ... as what was seen in WWI

i can't really provide sources as this is from memory ... my bad :mad1:

googled

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Thanks for your reply!

Yeah, finding sources for this one is very hard!

HSC
actually why reading through my WWI notes i found my source!

the following extract was found in - Swinton, J. The First World War, 1995 - pg 11

In 1906 General von Moltke told the Kaiser that the next war would be:

"... a national war which will not be settled by a decisive battle but a long wearisome struggle with a country that will not be overcome until its whole national force is broken, and a war which will utterly exhaust our own people, even if we are victorious."

georgie.girl

HSC
There was a Jewish Banker called Ivan Bloch (i think its Ivan) who predicted a war of attrition and that war was an effective tool in the agrarian age, but in the industrial age new technology meant that artillery would dominate and stalemate would be inevitable. He said a lot of other stuff that turned out to be true, but mostly people like him were ignored

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)