• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Wusa (1 Viewer)

Ninga

HSC
Im sure your driving ability wouldnt be affected too much after a few beers, i believe its your reaction time and your ability to make decisions which are the factors which fuck up your driving. As much as i believe in your driving ability, and your alcohol tolerance, I tend to disagree with you. Drink driving kills people dude, its not cool. Im on my blacks, so i can generally have a beer every hour and allegedly be fine to drive, but if you're driving other people too, its not really a risk i'd generally like to take. Who knows whats on the road ahead. But hey, you're on your Ps. Too bad :)

Gomer

HSC
Ninga said:
Im sure your driving ability wouldnt be affected too much after a few beers, i believe its your reaction time and your ability to make decisions which are the factors which fuck up your driving. As much as i believe in your driving ability, and your alcohol tolerance, I tend to disagree with you. Drink driving kills people dude, its not cool. Im on my blacks, so i can generally have a beer every hour and allegedly be fine to drive, but if you're driving other people too, its not really a risk i'd generally like to take. Who knows whats on the road ahead. But hey, you're on your Ps. Too bad :)
I hear you man.

-- Gomer

HSC
N/A
With alcohol, it's not your driving which gets fucked up, it's your reaction times and your analyisis of a quickly changing situation. You'll get home most of the time with no hassle, but there will be one time when you won't, and hopefully you'll be sober enough for your reactions and quick thinking to save you.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Ice Queen Wendy said:
With alcohol, it's not your driving which gets fucked up, it's your reaction times and your analyisis of a quickly changing situation. You'll get home most of the time with no hassle, but there will be one time when you won't, and hopefully you'll be sober enough for your reactions and quick thinking to save you.
Yeah I've seen the tv ads too. I'm not saying I could drink heaps and not be effected, but I don't think even my decision making and reaction time would be effected after only a couple beers.

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
Yeah I've seen the tv ads too. I'm not saying I could drink heaps and not be effected, but I don't think even my decision making and reaction time would be effected after only a couple beers.
Quit your bitching. The government says no. :)

HSC
N/A
The government says no and that's the whole point of the advertising campaign and their policies, how do you know your not effected until its too late.

Gomer

HSC
Test yourself. Get a ruler, have a mate drop the ruler with your forefinger and thumb so far apart, and see how far up the ruler you catch it at. Do it a few times, and get an average.

Now have a few drinks, and then do it...

-- Gomer

Ninga

HSC
U know, UoW physics were giving rulers with reaction time measurements down the site one year at the careers market. U need a long ruler for something like that. Get a metre ruler and try it :)

glitter burns

the sky is falling
HSC
We did that ruler thing in science at high school.
I don't remember what we did with the results though.

HSC
N/A
I've never heard of the ruler thing before...

*runs off to find a ruler and a friend*

iamsickofyear12

HSC
jm1234567890 said:
did you guys get the annual report?

budget is about 15million, and 41% goes into unishop
What exactly in the unishop? And where does the other 59% go.

And where can I get one of these annual reports.

Last edited:

santaslayer

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
What exactly in the unishop? And where does the other 59% go.

And where can I get one of these annual reports.
They're sent out to you. The possible reason why you didn't get one is because you didn't tick the membership box upon enrolment. I am sure you can still edit the status on SOLS.

41% to the unishop? Possibly labour and operational costs?

iamsickofyear12

HSC
santaslayer said:
They're sent out to you. The possible reason why you didn't get one is because you didn't tick the membership box upon enrolment. I am sure you can still edit the status on SOLS.

41% to the unishop? Possibly labour and operational costs?
The reason I didn't tick any boxes is cause I didn't want people sending me shit.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
santaslayer said:
That's the only shit I've ever been sent.
I wouldn't mind getting send one thing, but ticking a box saying people can send you something means the possibility of constantly getting stuff you don't want, which is why I never tick that box on anything.

ben_jones

HSC
N/A
WUSA Defence

>> lets just say there are 15000 undergrads in the uni.
>> $351 * 15000 = $5,265,000

Only $48 of the $351 goes to WUSA. The breakdown is roughly as follows.

$48 - WUSA is the Undergraduate Student Association.
Or
$56 - WUPA is the Postgraduate Association
Plus
Roughly $200 - UniCentre runs the UniBar, UniMovies, UniShop etc. They also lease out space to food outlets.
Roughly $100 - URAC is sport and rec. Gym, Pool, Sporting fields, Physio etc

Ergo $48 X 11000 roughly is a budget of about $565000. That goes towards amongst other things. About $80K on the tert and staff etc.

If you’re a WUSA member. (Pretty much all undergrads) you can get a copy of the full budget just be asking at the WUSA offices. Ground floor, building 11. There is a further breakdown in the free edition of the tert. http://wusa.uow.edu.au/tert there is also a couple of articles about VSU and student organisations that you might find interesting. The main article is also on the WUSA website http://wusa.uow.edu.au/vsu and it talks about what money goes where.

It seems like a whole lot of complaints are actually about UniCentre. I’d say the biggest problem that WUSA has is dealing with UniCentre and Uni and trying to get them to stop messing around with students. Its why WUSA run barbecues for free each week and write articles about how dodgy they are. They actually fired 3 staff members for wearing ‘support you union/VSU bad’ badges. They are hardly a Union or a student organisation, but they still fall under VSU and still get money from fees. (Around $3m – they had a $1.7m profit from students last year alone). The only decent and relatively cheap food at UoW (Apart from tofu and veges by WUSA) seems to be from sejuiced.

If you need questions answered come find me or anyone else at WUSA (Near duckpond).

Cheers

Ben Jones
News, Features and Sports Subeditor for the Tert and WUSA President ‘04

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
The most important thing the money pays for are things such as counselling, childcare and dentistry. I guess naturopathy as well, if you're into that sort of thing.

Regardless of whether or not VSU will come in (and it will come in), those sorts of things should still be offered. I do think the VSU legislation should be amended to allow universities to pay for such things.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)